Back person or Saddler first?

Archie07

Visit site
General wondering, if you wanted to rule out issues would you get your saddle checked first or your horses back checked first? As if there is no issue with back it may not be saddle related?

Wheels

Visit site
Both at a similar time - probs physio first and then saddle re-fitted before riding again.

If the physio finds nothing wrong it doesn't necessarily mean there is nothing wrong.

How long is it since you had the saddle checked? Even if there is nothing wrong with the horse they might just not like the saddle or find it uncomfortable

Merlod

Visit site
Prob back person, if they find a sore spot you can relay this to the saddler and then go down the fun route of buying and trialling new saddles (unless it of course requires opt. 3 the Vet!)

Archie07

Visit site
Thanks all. I was leaning on back person first I must admit... I didn't really want to start tweaking or changing our saddle without reason if he was happy in his back. But then as someone's said maybe he's starting to find it uncomfy doing jumping/ faster work?

Pony has always excitement bucked a bit, no previous issues with either back or saddle but it's become a little more frequent recently, although life has also got a little more exciting... Hmmm.

Sprat

Visit site
I had the same issue a short while ago. It was a bit of a 'chicken or the egg first' type quandary I thought. In the end I found back person to treat, then in hand work while waiting for saddler. I was prepared to go down the vet route but it turns out I didn't need to.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The 'back person' should not treat without the vet's knowledge, as they are not qualified to diagnose. So I would ask saddler to check and then get the vet, especially as you don't seem to be sure where the problem lies.

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My psysio told me always to get the saddle checked and fitted first before she worked on the horse if there was a possible issue. But physio needs go ahead from vet first.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
General wondering, if you wanted to rule out issues would you get your saddle checked first or your horses back checked first? As if there is no issue with back it may not be saddle related?

I would get a back person in before the saddler to rule out anything or signs of discomfort before getting a new saddler or you may get mixed readings from the horse when you try saddles on it.

Last edited:

BlackRider

Visit site
I would always get the back person out first, they will give you an idea of what you are dealing with.

I'd also have the saddle on hand too, as some are pretty good at saddle fitting advice.

gunnergundog

Visit site
The 'back person' should not treat without the vet's knowledge, as they are not qualified to diagnose. So I would ask saddler to check and then get the vet, especially as you don't seem to be sure where the problem lies.

Correct but many vets give a 'blanket' permission to known physios -'if you come across any of my clients, go ahead.' This relies on a good physio/vet relationship and a physio that will email/phone a report back of their findings post visit and who is happy to abort a treatment and walk away, referring to the vet, if what they find is NOT as reported by the client over the phone prior to the booking - as is, sadly, often the case.

This may of course change - although, probably not in my lifetime due to the weak nature of the long awaited DEFRA/LANTRA report that came out earlier this month, after two (three?) years worth of consultation/investigation with the various current bodies that regulate the 'profession' - and I use that term, sadly, in its loosest sense .