Back protection

sarahlowe

www.saumort.com
I have two old horses and would like to get them some back protection for under their saddles. The first gets ridden by some heavy beginners - he is a 19 year old ID x TB and is a medium fit. The second is a 20 year old selle francais (also meduim fit) and only gets ridden by experienced riders but he does show signs of backache when at rest. Any advice would be very welcome - I have been looking at Suber pads, gel pads and wool pads. Thanks in advance.
Sarah

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
I use half lined wool numnahs on my tb, she's sensitive and had issues with prolite and gels, i don't think she liked the feel of them, I don't know what to suggest for an older horse, likely you'll want a thicker pad than a sheepskin... The new magnetic pad from equilibrium looks good though, you use it in the stable, supposed to help tightness so may be good for the sore mare?... Sorry can't be of more help...

kerilli

Visit site
i think i'd try one of these.
http://www.bettersaddles.co.uk/acatalog/Numnahs_and_Cloths.html
it's lightweight, moulds itself, spreads the weight, which is what you want.
the trouble with a lot of gel pads is that they're heavy (i have one that weighs nearly a stone, used to use it for xc weight instead of lead!) and they don't let the back breathe as they're covered in plastic, not a great combination at all.
frown.gif