Back protectors and skull caps... BETA standards

Queenbee

Visit site
Hi all,

Beast and I are taking our first real step into xc this autumn...

Both my skull cap and BP are awfully out of date, I am looking at the Charles Owen Pro 2 and the racesafe for my weapons of choice... but I hear standards/requirements change again next year? What standards do I need to get to ensure I am ok to compete and don't have to buy again next year?

LeannePip

Visit site
I wouldn't have thought the requirements would change again next year when they only changed in January this year. Maybe you are confusing it with BD (i think) who aren't bringing the changes in until Jan2017 rather than 2016 as the other affiliated bodies?

I have a race safe which is great, but i think if i were buying again i'd get a Dainese as it looks much more flexible and breathable, saying that there is nothing really wrong with my race safe - it just gets very hot!

Skull cap wise i had a HS1 for several years which was great, unfortunately the manafacturers changed the shape so when i went to get a new one, it no longer fitted my head shape, so i bought a ProTector XC at Christmas which again was good and comfy it has air vent but i cant say my head was any less sweaty than in the HS1 (non vented) - I've had a couple of crashing falls in that now so needed to buy a new one, sobought the Charles Owen Pro 2 at Hickstead - it fits much better than the ProTector.

Any of those will be to the correct standard but as far as i can remember only the HS1 & Protector are to Snell standard

bluebellfreddy

Visit site
It might be possible that the Back Protector standard is going up a number next year, so beta 3 2017. But have not heard anything about this happening.

In terms of hats are a few changes a foot with them, the main one being the dropping of a standard at the start of 2016. And the addition of a temporary standard that has replaced it. But I think you will be ok will what ever hat you go for. If you like Charles Owen and what the top SNELL standard, you can get the 4 star. Looks a lot like the Pro but higher safety. But go to a shop, try them on find the best fit! I also think the ProTector is way over priced for what it is.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Can someone tell me what hat safety standard is being dropped? Do I now need a SNELL? I think the bp regs come in, in 2017 but I'm pretty sure I saw that on the BE website so not sure what other bodies are doing.
LeannePip thanks for the heads up about the dainese, I've got an RS2000 so need to replace it.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Hat standards there are several that will cover you - and my thinking on my new hat was the more it had the less likely it was to be made unsuitable by a change of regs!! Off the top of my head: ASTM / SNELL / PAS 015 are current. I think there are a few more.

Queenbee

Visit site
I wouldn't have thought the requirements would change again next year when they only changed in January this year. Maybe you are confusing it with BD (i think) who aren't bringing the changes in until Jan2017 rather than 2016 as the other affiliated bodies?

I have a race safe which is great, but i think if i were buying again i'd get a Dainese as it looks much more flexible and breathable, saying that there is nothing really wrong with my race safe - it just gets very hot!

Skull cap wise i had a HS1 for several years which was great, unfortunately the manafacturers changed the shape so when i went to get a new one, it no longer fitted my head shape, so i bought a ProTector XC at Christmas which again was good and comfy it has air vent but i cant say my head was any less sweaty than in the HS1 (non vented) - I've had a couple of crashing falls in that now so needed to buy a new one, sobought the Charles Owen Pro 2 at Hickstead - it fits much better than the ProTector.

Any of those will be to the correct standard but as far as i can remember only the HS1 & Protector are to Snell standard

Thank you everyone...

LeannePip, to be honest I have not looked into it at all until now, I knew some regs had changed already, which is why I needed to change both my fossilised skull cap and BP, and had the BETA 2009 standard in my mind however, YO told me yesterday that someone mentioned she would have to change her BP again next year when she was at a competition. Which got us all confused!!

I thought it was better to check than to not and get it wrong. :)

AandK

Visit site
I think it's because you can still use level 3 2000 at BE/RC but PC brought in a new rule this year that all BPs have to be 2009 standard. The general thoughts are that BE and RC will follow suite next year. If your BP is 2009 then it will be fine, but if more than 5yrs old then worth replacing anyway as the foam padding does degrade over time.
With hats SNELL and PAS 015 are accepted current standards, rules only changed this year for hats so any with these on are fine I have a CO J3 hat which is great and meets the right standards.

MegaBeast

Visit site
I think it's because you can still use level 3 2000 at BE/RC but PC brought in a new rule this year that all BPs have to be 2009 standard. The general thoughts are that BE and RC will follow suite next year. If your BP is 2009 then it will be fine, but if more than 5yrs old then worth replacing anyway as the foam padding does degrade over time.
With hats SNELL and PAS 015 are accepted current standards, rules only changed this year for hats so any with these on are fine I have a CO J3 hat which is great and meets the right standards.

This!!!

I've just changed by 2000 level 3 Racesafe for the 2009 ready for next year. Incidentally the RS Pro Vent is very comfortable indeed
And it's EN1384 hat standard that has been withdrawn.

MissTyc

Visit site
I just got the Charles Owen 4-Star which is enormous like a mushroom on my head but really lightweight and comfy!
I should hope it remains in standard for a few years until it needs replacing again (or I fall off -again!- )
... Hadn't heard about the body protector change so thanks for the head's up!