Back shoes off...

quirky

Visit site
When I bought mare as a 3yr old, she had fronts on and this was only due to an injury and Liphook deemed it the way forward.
Fast forward 5 years. She was shod behind due to scraping/eroding toes at 5 yrs of age.She'd been investigated at vet and declared pre arthritic hocks. He said excellent feet all round, put backs on if needed, a year later we did.
Now moved yard to a flatter area, only tapped toes on a hill, so back shoes have come off.
Her feet appear quite soft, bits have broken off since Thursday.
Can I do road work or should I wait for them to toughen up?
If all goes well, I may take her fronts off too as no medical reason not to any longer.
Sorry, I have rambled :eek:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Sorry - I've only just seen this.

Start with short rides and build up the distances slowly. The hooves should respond and grow quicker (also frogs should build up etc...) but the hooves need time to adjust, so don't go out on a three hour hack to begin with. ;)

ETA - you could start with in-hand walks if you want to build up even slower.

Tiffany

Visit site
Took my girls back shoes off a few years ago when she was on box rest due to injury. Farrier suggested trying just fronts and that's what we have done since. She copes really well although, her hooves have chipped a bit the last few weeks but not bothering her.