Back Supports - Any recommendations?

Doublethyme

Visit site
Just wondered if anyone has any recommendations for back supports. I am looking to buy one for my on-going back problems, but am really confused as to which one to get!

Was thinking of getting a magnetic one, but not sure. I would be looking to use it for riding and if it was discreet enough for work when I am sitting at a desk.

Any recommendations?

mickey

Visit site
All I can say is that I have the prolite back support. But I don't find it very good as my back pain is really low down and when moving about the waistband/support keeps rising up. So I have not really got on with it as I have to keep re-adjusting it. I used to use a sportabac one and had more success with that, but that was over 10 yrs ago now.

filly190

Visit site
From experience I would say that the support needs to come from the seat first, to protect your cocyx bone. When riding, use a gel saddle saver, this acts as a mini shock absorber and will be helpful.

When sitting for work, consider your office chair, it needs full adjustments and lumbar support. You can add to this, by using a pressure relief cushion, gel or air may be better for you, as foam tends to condense down.

The N.H.S provide a cushion to keep you in the work place, if your problems are severe, this can be ordered via your G.P, it is called a Conform Cushion, it has like an egg box design and is air, (cost £350). Otherwise you can find cheaper models of this in most mobility shops (yellow pages, mobility).

They will also supply a range of back supports, which you can try in shop, or they will order in, dont pay for anything until you have tried it.

For driving there is a product called the backfriend, made by Homecraft (Smith and Nephew). It is an additional seat and backrest which fits onto your car seat and gives you the support you need to drive comfortably.

I would book through your g.p to see an occupational therapist or physio, who has medical qualifications, who can correctly assess what products you need.

By doing this, you are avoiding expensive mistakes, plus receiving invaulable expert advise. I have seen so many people over the years buy entirly the wrong thing, which makes the problems worse.

Hope I have helped.