Backing 3/4yr olds

TheMule

Visit site
I'm back on board, both have been really good to get back to this point so hacking will start this weekend and we'll gradually build strength. I'm having saddle woes as neither really fit anything I have and I can’t get anyone out anytime soon so trying as many different saddles as I can. Any bright ideas for a saddle for a mule?!

E34A8C31-82ED-4AEF-AB51-619903D9AF72.jpeg
D1FEC56C-19A8-425C-979D-5ADE885F0AC3.jpeg

TheMule

Visit site
No idea about a saddle for a mule, but just have to say how gorgeous the mule is!

Thank you- she is really quite adorable. No hiding the fact she's a mule though, I need to start asking local venues if they're happy for her to come along ?

Asha

Visit site
I know some horses are scared of them, but some horses are scared of tiny ponies too, and they are allowed at venues, I didnt realise that venues actually were able to ban mules, and I assume donkeys too?
Our hacking loop starts off with naughty Elvis the Shetland and then comes to two lovely old donkeys who rarely do anything. But if they even look in our direction you can bet your life that we are transported across the other side of lane faster than a speeding bullet ??? I really don’t know which ones terrify them the most ?

TheMule

Visit site
Your other horse looks really lovely too, its just the Mules face is adorable! Why wouldnt venues allow her to visit?

I think most places around me will be fine, but I will always ask first as I have heard of people with mules being asked to leave before (and not because of their mule's behavior!). Mules are still banned from BE and BS, but that's a long way off anyway!

daffy44

Visit site
Our hacking loop starts off with naughty Elvis the Shetland and then comes to two lovely old donkeys who rarely do anything. But if they even look in our direction you can bet your life that we are transported across the other side of lane faster than a speeding bullet ??? I really don’t know which ones terrify them the most ?

I totally understand, I inadvertently did a brilliant despooking thing when I got two teeny tiny (very naughty) ponies from redwings, over the years they have made all my horses immune to the fear of tiny ponies! I have frequently given thanks for their services.

Asha

Visit site
I totally understand, I inadvertently did a brilliant despooking thing when I got two teeny tiny (very naughty) ponies from redwings, over the years they have made all my horses immune to the fear of tiny ponies! I have frequently given thanks for their services.

What a great idea.. buy a shetland under the guise that i need to despook my lot. When i have a spare stable i may just do that !

daffy44

Visit site
I have to admit I didnt do it on purpose, I'm not that clever, but when I was first able to keep horses at home I only had one horse, so I got these two terrors from redwings as company, and then over the years I collected more horses, but the two little monsters stayed. Then over the years as other horses freaked out at tiny ponies mine never did, so I realised I'd been clever by accident, I can highly recommend it as a despooking tool!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Made a last minute decision to take part in a polework clinic (on our own yard) this weekend with my rising 4yo as someone else had to drop out. Was really pleased with him, although we did call it a day after 20 minutes as he tried very hard and then got very tired!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Northern

Visit site
Back on board today after a good month off. Lunged perfectly, canter a few times off the voice both ways which is a great improvement! Got on and she was much straighter and nicely forward in the trot. Did some basic transitions for 10 minutes and called it a day. Pleased with her today! ?

Attachments

• 2407466E-9F8C-46AA-89AC-49C35DDCA085.jpeg
    2407466E-9F8C-46AA-89AC-49C35DDCA085.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 3

windand rain

Visit site
Had Kitten walking independantly on command she soon picked up turning stopping and walking forwardlong rein.jpg
She has worn a bit and saddle but not girthed up yet thats the next thing a bit further on She is 3 the end of May so going really slowly she doesnt care too much what we do with her She only does 5 minutes at a time maybe twice a week.

lannerch

Visit site
Back on board today after a good month off. Lunged perfectly, canter a few times off the voice both ways which is a great improvement! Got on and she was much straighter and nicely forward in the trot. Did some basic transitions for 10 minutes and called it a day. Pleased with her today! ?
Love her ears she’s competing with the mule there ❤️

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Thank you- she is really quite adorable. No hiding the fact she's a mule though, I need to start asking local venues if they're happy for her to come along ?
Hi, saddles for mules are quite tricky, and you may have more luck with a western saddle - there are some good mule saddlers in the US where they are more common. The best for our mule was a fully adjustable Deuber & Partner baroque saddle:
Deuber barok.jpg

palo1

Visit site
I'm back on board, both have been really good to get back to this point so hacking will start this weekend and we'll gradually build strength. I'm having saddle woes as neither really fit anything I have and I can’t get anyone out anytime soon so trying as many different saddles as I can. Any bright ideas for a saddle for a mule?!

View attachment 67520
View attachment 67522

A temporary measure could be something like a Christ Lamfelle bareback pad (perhaps deluxe version?) They are super comfy and would allow you to keep going gently depending on how you feel either not using stirrups or using stirrups in a very limited sense. They are a great thing to have in the tack room anyway and have a very good resale value. I rode my youngster in one for several weeks whilst trying to sort out a saddle and we both enjoyed it - including tiddly jumps!! This is the sort of thing I mean: https://www.horsedream.co.uk/collections/bareback-pads. I found mine to be very secure and both horse and rider very happy :)

TheMule

Visit site
Hi, saddles for mules are quite tricky, and you may have more luck with a western saddle - there are some good mule saddlers in the US where they are more common. The best for our mule was a fully adjustable Deuber & Partner baroque saddle:
View attachment 67920

Thank you, this helpful info.
My problem is I want to use her as a general purpose mule and the thought of jumping her in something like this or a western saddle makes me ?
I think I'll probably have to get something a bit wide and pad it over the top and then let her wide barrel pick up the rest. I'm finding it very hard to let go of the dream of just having her in my lovely little Monoflap event saddle....

Caol Ila

Visit site
Hermosa is tying like a pro. I have a shight picture, but it's too shight to argue with the moody HHO photo uploader.

We are also perfecting crossing the inside hind and disengaging, which she picked up quickly, and we are slowly graduating to walking in a circle on the lead.

162305196_717528908914032_6068985479056871739_n.jpg

163117750_1835889019903945_2215749745303601805_n.jpg
162855851_765277387445508_382703646649639185_n.jpg

Last edited:

TheMule

Visit site
How is everyone getting on with their young horses?

My 2 are being really sweet and making good progress. My sister came and helped me for a couple of sessions in the arena so Nova did his first canter and the mule is now a bit better at steering- she's very quick at popping in through her left shoulder! A bit more hacking and strengthening and then Nova will start to go to some little arena hires in a month or so ?

This video is from last week, she has done 2 sessions since and is getting better and better
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Asha

Visit site
FranksB9E6D5A3-0CD0-46A5-A04A-7C743687C0A7.jpeg5E965588-0331-40DD-9346-1CEABE8005E1.jpeg great update TM , it’s a relief when you get the first canter out of the way ☺️
Franks developed a knack of letting himself out of his stable .. which has progressed to also letting his friend out the other day . I have visions of the scene from black beauty where little legs let’s everyone out ??
He’s also had his first jump under saddle , but mainly hacking .

Cherryblossom

Visit site
Poppy was turned away from mid December, and I was just starting to bring her back into a bit of work. Didn’t have any saddles suitable for her short back so her first time being sat back on was with the saddler out trying on different saddles and walking and trotting round the arena. She’s not flashy, but she proves every day that I was right to take a chance on her- she just takes everything in her stride! 7ABE4014-B56C-4540-9DDD-7156B889B58C.jpeg