Backing 3/4yr olds

Hopelessly horsey

Visit site
Eeek I think I can join this now ? just purchased myself a lovely little Irish sports x who is 3! She's been backed by previous owner so I'm going to give her some time to relax into her new surroundings then start on some groundwork and longlining after Christmas ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211114_201811.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114_201811.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 40

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Eeek I think I can join this now ? just purchased myself a lovely little Irish sports x who is 3! She's been backed by previous owner so I'm going to give her some time to relax into her new surroundings then start on some groundwork and longlining after Christmas ?

She's going to fill out to be very nice :) She'll be quite substantial by the time she's 8, by the look of her. Does the seller have any more like her, I have a friend looking?

Hopelessly horsey

Visit site
She's going to fill out to be very nice :) She'll be quite substantial by the time she's 8, by the look of her. Does the seller have any more like her, I have a friend looking?

Thank you! She's only stood about 15.2 at the moment so I'm hoping she will hit 16.1/2 especially with the warmblood in her she will be a late bloomer.

Unfortunately she was a private sale ? but I will keep a look out for you

daffy44

Visit site
Well my guy is now a competition horse! I took him out about ten days ago to do BD, just a prelim, and the poor guy was a bit overwhelmed and felt like he wanted to hide in the corner, he's not spooky, but he just felt like he was struggling to process the experience, he didnt want to canter, and in the test he barely picked up the canter and broke a couple of times and finished on 65%.

But I know how he learns things, so I wasnt too worried, but I felt it was important to take him out again reasonably quickly, so we went out again yesterday, and he was way more confident, canter was not an issue, thank goodness, and in general whilst he still felt like he was holding his breath a little, and regressed to being green and wobbly, he was much better. He did two prelims, and won them both, 72.58% and 72.91%, and I'm very proud of him, I think he will need a bit of mileage to be as confident as I would like him to be, but he is a quick learner, and the most honest, genuine horse you could ever want.

Attachments

• Bingo Onley.jpg
    Bingo Onley.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 44

Asha

Visit site
Well my guy is now a competition horse! I took him out about ten days ago to do BD, just a prelim, and the poor guy was a bit overwhelmed and felt like he wanted to hide in the corner, he's not spooky, but he just felt like he was struggling to process the experience, he didnt want to canter, and in the test he barely picked up the canter and broke a couple of times and finished on 65%.

But I know how he learns things, so I wasnt too worried, but I felt it was important to take him out again reasonably quickly, so we went out again yesterday, and he was way more confident, canter was not an issue, thank goodness, and in general whilst he still felt like he was holding his breath a little, and regressed to being green and wobbly, he was much better. He did two prelims, and won them both, 72.58% and 72.91%, and I'm very proud of him, I think he will need a bit of mileage to be as confident as I would like him to be, but he is a quick learner, and the most honest, genuine horse you could ever want.

Amazing ! Well done . That must have felt incredible

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Bloody hell, those aren't baby scores! Well done.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Took Hermosa and Caso on a long walk, past farmhouses, trains, scrapyards. Both were super.

I'm really hoping to sit on her next summer, but I guess we'll have to see. The baby has made her mentally grow up, but physically, it's dragged her down a bit and she does not look nearly developed enough to even remotely think about riding. By summer, the baby will be weaned and she'll be four. Like I said, we'll see. If she's not strong enough looking, we wait. At least Foinavon keeps me entertained. I think she will be an awesome horse, so right now, I just have to suck it and enjoy the process (and the Highland).

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com

Those are fabulous scores!! Clearly evidence of very good training and correct basics.

Isaac's jumping is definitely ahead of his flat at the moment. Did his first British Novice yesterday and jumped double clear - not always beautiful but he's working it all out fairly quickly. Probably won't get so much done in December now that the weather is against us... But feeling positive that he'll be ready to get going eventing come the Spring ?

Attachments

• 271121 (154)copy.jpg
    828.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 271121 (150)copy.jpg
    895.2 KB · Views: 21

TPO

Visit site

Well done ?

TheMule

Visit site

She's a nice sort- how is she bred?

TheMule

Visit site

He looks super there- lovely soft frame. Great scores and sounds like a great learning experience, well done!

TheMule

Visit site
Those are fabulous scores!! Clearly evidence of very good training and correct basics.

Isaac's jumping is definitely ahead of his flat at the moment. Did his first British Novice yesterday and jumped double clear - not always beautiful but he's working it all out fairly quickly. Probably won't get so much done in December now that the weather is against us... But feeling positive that he'll be ready to get going eventing come the Spring ?

I love his little front legs trying so hard ❤️

Caol Ila

Visit site
Well, we win trains. There's a railway tunnel about 1km from the yard, and most of the horses learn to deal with it. We'd taken Hermosa and Caso under it, but hadn't had a train pass overhead when we were close by.

Today, we headed for the tunnel and ended up in the company of another 3-year old and her owner, also handwalking. She said that her horse was frightened of the tunnel now because a train had passed right when they exited. She wanted to go there and revisit the tunnel. Hopefully without trains. We went to the tunnel, led them through it, walked a little further, then turned back. As we exited the tunnel, a train thundered overhead. Caso did a big jump, Hermosa trotted about three strides, and the other mare lost her sh1t and was rearing and broncing. We took them back into it, and the two PREs just shrugged. "It was a train. So what?" The other one continued to freak out.

I was so impressed with my little horse. She wasn't bothered by a train right above her, or the other horse going ballistic.

Hopelessly horsey

Visit site
Well, we win trains. There's a railway tunnel about 1km from the yard, and most of the horses learn to deal with it. We'd taken Hermosa and Caso under it, but hadn't had a train pass overhead when we were close by.

Today, we headed for the tunnel and ended up in the company of another 3-year old and her owner, also handwalking. She said that her horse was frightened of the tunnel now because a train had passed right when they exited. She wanted to go there and revisit the tunnel. Hopefully without trains. We went to the tunnel, led them through it, walked a little further, then turned back. As we exited the tunnel, a train thundered overhead. Caso did a big jump, Hermosa trotted about three strides, and the other mare lost her sh1t and was rearing and broncing. We took them back into it, and the two PREs just shrugged. "It was a train. So what?" The other one continued to freak out.

I was so impressed with my little horse. She wasn't bothered by a train right above her, or the other horse going ballistic.
Sounds like a very productive day ?

daffy44

Visit site
Thank you all very much for the lovely comments, I'm very pleased with him, and it makes me excited for his future, as I know what he produced at the show was a fraction of what he is currently giving me at home.

RachelFerd, those pictures are fantastic! He looks bold and confident, and giving those jumps a lot of air, I think you will have a very exciting season with him next year.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site

Well, you know: Spanish horses. They are brave, in general.

j1ffy

Visit site

She looks very nice! I look forward to following your progress next year

Fabulous scores and a lovely photo - well done! Sounds like he's fulfilling your hopes for him already :)

Isaac looks VERY grown-up there!!

Aren't PREs just fab with that sort of thing?! They seem to really think about it and decide whether it's worth the angst or not, and usually decide it's not ?. Chilli's a very brave hack, he does worry about things but will always consider it, listen to me and carry on. My others have been similar and none have become wound up by other horses being silly.

A lovely morning ride on Dartmoor. We rode out with 4 others and he was good as gold. We had a few lovely canters and a little paddle in the stream. Feel so lucky to have this riding on our doorstep.
View attachment 83394

Gorgeous!!

Chilli's continued to be mostly a good boy, although he was (understandably) fresh in that awful weather on Friday and did one nap, but I nipped it in the bud and he worked well after that. Hacking is still brilliant and he's great on the ground, he lets me do just about anything and is really only interested in food ?

For example, his big ears make a handy hi-viz hook when I'm putting on my gloves...

779D8425-9817-4E13-B188-70AE8369C1EA.JPG

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Can I put Mim here since she’s effectively a year behind on schooling due to COVID? She may be five in years but she’s more like a four year old in terms of level.

Today was her first day in the indoor school. She just walked in hand but she didn’t even flinch at being inside or at the two magnificent boys being schooled around her. I’m very proud!

1E54E5ED-153C-43CD-A1A7-A1D043D996FD.jpeg

ImmyS

Visit site
Finn is well into his winter holidays now and looking rather scruffy! Got in touch with his breeder as she was certain he wouldn’t go over 16hh, particularly as he’s always looked so ‘mature’. Well a rough measure today and he’s nearly hit 16.2 and looking rather bum high ? just glad I’m fairly tall as he’s going to be a lot of horse.

Super excited to get going again with him come spring time! Despite being mostly turned away he’s had dentist, physio and trimmer out and has behaved super despite not having so much as a head collar on between visits! ? x

j1ffy

Visit site
Chilli and I had a good lesson last night - we can do a slow trot now instead of looking like a hackney on speed and had a lovely contact in walk and trot by the end. We're going to leave canter until next year, he's done plenty for now and has learnt his holiday. He was very happy galloping across the field in the dark last night looking for his friends and I think he'll be very happy turned out for a month or so.

I'll probably start doing some hacks after Christmas with him (we need to do our first tinsel hack!) then back in the school around Feb. Time to book some schoolmaster lessons to keep me ticking over now!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Mimosa is doing so nicely with her new rider, and seems to really enjoy being on the new yard. She’s a pro on the horse-walker, she’s lunging beautifully and is going nicely under saddle too. She has lost weight (yay!) so none of my saddles are fitting. Our saddle fitter is coming tomorrow - I feel like this will be an endless process, resulting in me being very, very poor.

Today I went to a Diane Thurman-Baker demo which covered young horse to Grand Prix. The in-hand work was so interesting to watch. I am arranging for Mim to do some sessions with her.

Mim’s rider was riding one of the yard’s stallions in the demo too, so it was nice to watch her ride. I could only dream about riding so beautifully!

C4A37E57-F52A-445D-A6C4-3FAEA71DC509.jpeg

Added a pic ?

Last edited:

lannerch

Visit site

Wow look how he picks up his knees in the second photo looks like explosion w

TheMule

Visit site
Mimosa is doing so nicely with her new rider, and seems to really enjoy being on the new yard. She’s a pro on the horse-walker, she’s lunging beautifully and is going nicely under saddle too. She has lost weight (yay!) so none of my saddles are fitting. Our saddle fitter is coming tomorrow - I feel like this will be an endless process, resulting in me being very, very poor.

Today I went to a Diane Thurman-Baker demo which covered young horse to Grand Prix. The in-hand work was so interesting to watch. I am arranging for Mim to do some sessions with her.

Mim’s rider was riding one of the yard’s stallions in the demo too, so it was nice to watch her ride. I could only dream about riding so beautifully!

View attachment 84135

Added a pic ?

Great update, well done on placing her somewhere that sounds perfect for her next steps

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Little Bean will be 4 next year so thought I better get a bit of a wiggle on ?.

Today was first time saddle and bridle together and she took in her usual laid back attitude. She hasn't had the bridle on for ages as she was teething but they have settled down again.

I will now start doing in-hand contact work and some leaning over.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

j1ffy

Visit site
Little Bean will be 4 next year so thought I better get a bit of a wiggle on ?.

Today was first time saddle and bridle together and she took in her usual laid back attitude. She hasn't had the bridle on for ages as she was teething but they have settled down again.

I will now start doing in-hand contact work and some leaning over.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

She’s lovely!