Backing a 2 year old..

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Friend on FB has backed her 2 year old, ( with her saying... but hes big and strong and didnt mind at at.. and racehorses are backed at 2...) plus photos yesterday of it being jumped on the lunge..(riderless)

can anyone give my link to why this is bad... growth plates not fused etc...

Lintel

Visit site
Well I shall start this one off.
Nope I can't :p
I totally understand that the growth has barely even started and that it can affect the horse in later life etc.
But my guy was bareback walking round the *Scary Scheme* at about 2 years and 9 months. Got him used to garage doors slamming, barking dogs, kids on bikes, etc etc.
-has done him no harm. He was only walked round for about 10 mins twice a week mind ;)

Herts05

Visit site
Plan on backing mine before he is 3 before he gets too big and strong. He will then be turned away for the winter before picking up again next year (slowly though).

He's gonna make 17hh plus and will be a big one!

MrVelvet

Visit site
My boy will be 4 in July and he's still not done anything more than being leaned over and the odd bit of groundwork! And tbh... He still doesn't really look mature enough and he's a welsh x warmblood

Cedars

Visit site
Puz is about to be backed at 2 years 10 months. Built like a brick 8888 house.

Sitting on them once a week, in walk, on a loose rein, won't do any harm. (unless you're 19stone and they're 12.2hands.....)

Sparkles

Visit site
Whilst I find nothing wrong with sitting on and walking round bareback for a minute or two...nor popping them over a jump loose [NOT lunging] just to see what shape they have [again, once, and that is it till 2 years later]...nor long reining lightly, or getting them used to the 'idea' of lunging [ie, literally, walked round for a circle both directions and again, that is it.]

Actual ridden work, or anything more than the above, I don't agree with! 3 years to start breaking [ie, walk/trot/odd canter/hacking/steering etc], then 4 to start schooling and pole work for me :)

Don't see anything wrong with things done in moderation - ie, once every now and then really isn't going to much overall.

Last edited:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Why would you be scared of an older horse?? Do they get scarier and scarier as they get older??

In my experience, it is quite the opposite but hey ho, people know better than scientists and experienced people...

cornbrodolly

Visit site
A 2yr old may LOOK big and strong, but their skeleton and muscles a re very immature. in fact the bigger the horse the longer they need to grow and furnish- have seen some gangly 4 yr olds that still need extra time.
Its a well known fact that the younger they are started , the younger they will be when they finished.
Please wait till 3 at least. And never overdo the circling stuff- lungeing will strain hocks - hence all the bone spavins in younger horses these days

sue12345

Visit site
I'm reading all the posts on backing with interest, what are your thoughts about backing a childs lead rein pony. What is a good age.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I'm all for handling babys well but even if it doesn't do any harm, its only 10 mins, they're big etc I just don't see any possible advantage. 3 is plenty soon enough & even then I only like them lightly backed & turned away again till 4. If its going to work for the next 20 years, why not leave it to enjoy being a youngster.

rascal

Visit site
I hate horses doing too much too soon, there is just no excuse. I know quite a few who have gone on to have severe problems later in life. I owned two that were in a so called riding school at three and both have health issues in theire early teens.
our old horse who we bought on slowly and looked after his legs was still hacking out at 26, still sound with good legs at 29. Its worth waiting an extra year or two. My welsh cob is still immature at nearly 4 and probably wont be backed unil next year.

Last edited:

Littlelegs

Visit site
Sue 12345. Main thing with lr ponies is loads of inhand bombproofing & leading off another horse hacking out. They need to see a lot before hand. For how old depends on size of pony as to who's backing it. If its an adult who's right at the top end of the weight the pony should carry, I'd leave till at least 4, or even longer to build up some muscle. If its a tiny teen/ competent child then either 3 & turn away till 4 or even just start slowly at 4.