Backing a slightly older pony - how long to build fitness/muscle before learning to jump etc?

maya2008

Visit site
I have only ever backed 3 and 4 year olds before - so hacking only for 9 months or so, then gradually introducing schooling before teaching them to jump a year or so after backing (depending on age). This time round, we have backed and ridden away a 5 year old. I would happily wait a year for jumping, but my son would probably prefer to jump sooner. How long do we actually need to wait? I was thinking six months of hacking, then introduce the school and work up to jumping. Does that sound about right? Am I being over cautious/not cautious enough?

paddi22

Visit site
it kind of depends on how the horse is coping with stuff mentally and physically. And a lot depends what your sons idea of jumping entails. I usually pop logs and do small fun stuff the first year. I wouldn't be pushing them to get them up the heights or anything.

maya2008

Visit site
it kind of depends on how the horse is coping with stuff mentally and physically. And a lot depends what your sons idea of jumping entails. I usually pop logs and do small fun stuff the first year. I wouldn't be pushing them to get them up the heights or anything.

Small jumps - he’s 12hh and would start with 30-45cm so they could go to local shows and learn about the atmosphere, fillers, laps of honour (you basically just have to go clear to get placed locally!), warm-ups etc. In time, whatever height PC would expect of him. Slow and steady clear rounds to learn about the world - both for his future and for my son to learn that this is how you train a horse! My son is jumping my pony while he waits for this one to mature, so there’s no pressure on the young one to jump bigger/go faster.

He’s jumped on the lunge with previous owners and has fantastic technique and scope. Under saddle he started slowly, then once he was ready to accept a rider he progressed in leaps and bounds. He’s keen, very obedient and has a tremendous back end - he powers forwards in trot and floats in canter. Jumping even for the adult ponies is only once a week, so no danger of overdoing the frequency!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I would be guided by the pony. Your obviously experienced and would definitely notice if the pony became uncomfortable with the atmosphere at a show. We used to back them, get them going calmly then get out and about. We never did too much, just introducing different stuff on each outing. Hope your son has lots of fun x

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
You can't set time limits. Once the canter is super balanced. And as I always recommend, building back muscles from the ground before backing isn't just lunging etc, it's work to help the horse balance itself, lift its thoracic sling, stay soft in its underneck etc. Hacking for miles is great for fitness but won't necessarily prepare a horse for anything more, it's all about how a horse does these things, is it within their capability? If they can do A in the right form then they can move onto B.