Backing young horses- book recommendations

Lyle

Visit site
Hello everyone! I'm looking for good literature to read about backing young horses. I've got some idea of the process, I would just like some solid reading :)
If anyone has any recommendaitions, I'd appreciate the suggestions!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
2nd the above. Keep it simple. There is another interesting book about backing wild horses from the new forest/dartmoor? which is really interesting but I only read a little bit at someones house and I've forgotten what it's called!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Training Young Horses by Werner Storl is an excellent book, especially for the further training on. It's a German translation, and especially useful as an alternative to the BHS "way" (which is not the best way to go about it IMO).

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Are you going to lunge your youngster? Obviously don't, but when you get around to it, do have a little read of "correct movement in horses/straightenening the crooked horse" Klaus schoneich.

Jellymoon

Visit site
I have several, including Richard Maxwell/Kelly Marks type ones, which are good, but the ones I really like are a bit more ‘old school’.

Breaking and Training the Young Horse by Coldrey and Coldrey.
The Young Horse: Breaking and Training by Jennie Loriston Clarke.

And a fabulous old one called From Paddock to Saddle by Capt Elwyn Hartley Edwards. It’s an amusing read and he talks so much sense. He really takes his time with them, and does at least a month of just walking them around, seeing everything with you by their side. I’ve probably followed his system the most and I’ve not had any issues at all. The only thing we disagree on is long-reining - I like it, he doesn’t!

I haven’t read the Klimke ones, but I bet they’re good too, worth a look.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
2nd the above. Keep it simple. There is another interesting book about backing wild horses from the new forest/dartmoor? which is really interesting but I only read a little bit at someones house and I've forgotten what it's called!

I think you're thinking of Sarah Weston No fear no force?

tristar

Visit site
henry wynmalin is a good place to start.

i don`t believe in cutting out processes such as l reining or lunging, i do the lot, train the horse to do it all when a youngster, those things have stood the test of time, and are tools to use and and come back to time after time, for whatever reason.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have several, including Richard Maxwell/Kelly Marks type ones, which are good, but the ones I really like are a bit more ‘old school’.

Breaking and Training the Young Horse by Coldrey and Coldrey.
The Young Horse: Breaking and Training by Jennie Loriston Clarke.

And a fabulous old one called From Paddock to Saddle by Capt Elwyn Hartley Edwards. It’s an amusing read and he talks so much sense. He really takes his time with them, and does at least a month of just walking them around, seeing everything with you by their side. I’ve probably followed his system the most and I’ve not had any issues at all. The only thing we disagree on is long-reining - I like it, he doesn’t!

I haven’t read the Klimke ones, but I bet they’re good too, worth a look.

Ooh! I have a couple by Hartley Edwards, staple reading in the 70's! (as well as my Blacks veterinary from early 70's, was my mothers)
Also have Jennie L-C's book too amongst other older books :)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I like From Birth to Backing but also really like The Fearless Horse for the early lessons on respecting personal space, yielding to pressure and leading.