Bacterial Folliculitis- any experiences?

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
My new girl has this, and is being treated for it, I just wondered what other experiences people have had with it?

How did it start?
Anything you found particularly effective in clearing it?
How long did it take to clear?
What did you treat it with?

It's all over her side and she is a bit sore on it, not awfully but not 100%. We had her 5 stage vetted, and it was passed as clipper rash, but it has obviously escalated into this, :s has anyone else had something like this happen? How can I avoid it happening again?

As I say, she's been seen and treated by my vet, so is hopefully on the mend :)

cptrayes

Visit site
I had a mare with this. I used dilute hibiscrub every time I rode, after removing the saddle, and let it dry on. It was caused by saddle friction from a bad rider. It cleared in about a week.

Your mare's may well have been clipper rash but the stress of moving perhaps prevented her immune system from keeping it under control?

Shay

Visit site
We get it from time to time - usually when ned is under the weather for some reason. Cobs are particularly prone to it. I don't know if your new girl is cobby?

It could easily have been clipper rash when seen by the vet but developed. The crusts are really quite distinctive so I very much doubt the vet would have got it wrong at vetting. It is probably just that the abraisions from the clipper blades gave the bacteria the chance to get in there.

The crusts themselves clear in about a week or so. Often they clear on thier own but hibiscrub can help - make sure you dry the area throughly and don't over rug, warm and damp spreads it. Don't pick the crusts off before they are ready to come off on thier own. Any hair lost with the crusts grows back over the next 2 - 3 weeks depending on how fast her hair grows naturally. You do need to wash rugs, saddle cloths, brushes etc in a bactericide (milton works for me) to be sure of limiting reoccurence. Don't share brushes etc with an affected horse.

Unless the leisions get infected it is more unsightly than nasty for the horse. Try not to worry!