Bacterial virus & Lung Scope/Wash

sweepeep

Visit site
My horse (TB, aged 8) recently got imself a bacterial infection - thought to be in the gut - which I thought as he had severe weight loss. The vet also thought this coud be in his lungs. He has not been coughing and his breathing is good. The only thing I noticed which he was treated for was conjuntivitus weeks ago which hs now gone.

I administered 5 days of antibiotics last week and he vet called me today to say that his inflammatory markers are still very high indicating an inflammed lung although his hite blood cells are less so now so at least the anti-b's did something... He is booked for a scope and lung wash next week.

His general self is low and he does have more energy in the mornings but it's so sad to see him like this and I feel lonely not ever seeing this type of illness before in a horse.

Has anyone else had this, what was the outcome/prognosis and time it took their horses to get better and back in work?

Thanks x

applecart14

Visit site
My horse (TB, aged 8) recently got imself a bacterial infection - thought to be in the gut - which I thought as he had severe weight loss. The vet also thought this coud be in his lungs. He has not been coughing and his breathing is good. The only thing I noticed which he was treated for was conjuntivitus weeks ago which hs now gone.

I administered 5 days of antibiotics last week and he vet called me today to say that his inflammatory markers are still very high indicating an inflammed lung although his hite blood cells are less so now so at least the anti-b's did something... He is booked for a scope and lung wash next week.

His general self is low and he does have more energy in the mornings but it's so sad to see him like this and I feel lonely not ever seeing this type of illness before in a horse.

Has anyone else had this, what was the outcome/prognosis and time it took their horses to get better and back in work?

Thanks x

No experience, sorry, but found these links which you might find interesting.http://www.horseadvice.com/horse/messages/4/283086.html
http://www.thehorse.com/articles/32097/consider-bal-in-both-lungs-when-evaluating-airway-disease

Hope your horse recovers soon x

sweepeep

Visit site
Thank you. I'll have a read.

I suppose the thing is, I shouldn't try and diagnose until the vet has done the scope otherwise I'll be thinking all sorts :( x

Firefly9410

Visit site
If it responded to antibiotics that is a good thing. It might be that he needs a different type of antibiotics or a longer course of the first ones. I imagine the vet will test for the type of bacteria. Try not to worry.