Bad behaviour you put up with !!

Amberfield

Visit site
What bad behaviour or quirks do you put up with from your horse as the good bits make it all worthwhile ?

For example , mine is grumpy in his stable and just wants to be left alone in his space but is fab with everything else , riding , travel , shoeing , clipping etc .

L&M

Visit site
My lad will occasionally throw in a buck, mainly fly bucks, but can occasionally do a full on bronk which I hate! Fortunately he has not got me off (touch wood!), and has certainly helped make my seat more secure.

The rest of the time he is my dream horse and we have a lot of fun.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
None.

My pony had a few bad habits when I got her such as not standing to be mounted or once I was on her, turning round to suggest she might bite my foot if I enforced standing still and a little nappy. One month on manners are well on their way to impeccable and no napping whatsoever.

PingPongPony

Visit site
i put up with fidgeting at the mounting block and tail swishing, feet stomping, putting ears back and biting the air when doing the girth.
Apart from that, she's the most polite horse you could ever meet, never even threatened to kick anyone, angel to lead, can be tied up and left on her own for ages, practically loads herself and stands rock still on lorry, falls asleep when being clipped, doesn't mind being cuddled when she's eating, very responsive to ride and amazing jumper. so the two little quirks i put up with for the good stuff, and tbh it doesn't bother me that much anyway :)

rockysmum

Visit site
My oldie gets away with murder, and all I do is laugh because he still has the energy to do it.

He is the one who unties himself, sneaks out of the gate at bring in and investigates the YOs garden. Ridden he goes up or spins circles if he is not allowed to go at the speed he want to. He insists on pulling all his haylage out of his nets and soaking it into a soggy mess in his water bucket and worse still the automatic waterer (he has to have both :D )

If this was one of the others they would be in trouble for any of it. He gets away with it because he's 36 :D

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Bucking. I really don't care, however big/athletic the bucks are. I sit them fine. It's high spirits, not malice. I never tell him off. Mostly it makes me laugh, I like knowing he's so happy and choose to share the moment with him rather than get after him. Does that make me a bad owner? Well, whatever, so shoot me.

LollyDolly

Visit site
None.

My boy had a thing about being mounted, he would just bugger off whenever you tried to get on his back! It took two people to retrain him so that you could get on. He eventually got over that, then went through a phase of not going near a mounting block (which he is now coming out of!)
And now he has recently entered the stroppy youngster phase where he decides that he would much rather go in the opposite direction and therefore plants, naps and rears. All I do is kick him good in the ribs and if he rears he gets a biff on the head, seems to have done the trick as now he only plants ;) However, when he plants he gets a sharp kick which usually does the trick.

He was an angel to break as well, although now he's started sussing out that he is bigger than me however he certainly isn't scarier! ;)

blood_magik

Visit site
my oldie gets away with rubbing his face on me although he is usually invited and will wait.

my 6yo doesn't get away with any 'bad' behaviour at the moment because he's still learning where the boundaries are - only had him 8 weeks.
so far we've had fidgeting, refusing to stand at the mounting block, nipping, barging and threatening to kick :rolleyes:
I will put up with fidgeting to an extent but everything else was nipped in the bud.

dads horse gets away with murder.

englund

Visit site
Dont mind too much what the horses do but I dont put up with bad behaviour from this breed of young girl aged around 18 -30 who shout and scream at their horses for any silly minor thing.

dafthoss

Visit site
Extra forwards momentum, I spend so long trying to get it that when it happens without me having to work really hard for it I just smile and enjoy.

Apart from that he loads with some thing in his mouth, normally a lead rope, as he has at some stage in his past learned that he is bigger and stronger than people. But he travels like a lamb and you dont need to touch whats in his mouth it just needs to be there, 90% of the time he would be fine without but I dont risk it any more after he jumped a 5 bar gate.

Annagain

Visit site
Archie gets away with quite a bit, not because I like it but because after 7 years I realise I can't change him. He's brushed with a rubber mitten because he won't tolerate a brush, he has his bridle path cut with scissors because the clippers are not allowed near his ears, in the winter he's turned out for at least half an hour before I even attempt to do anything with him as otherwise he's a nightmare to handle. Generally, a few concessions to his whims mean a quieter life for both of us. You can't always eradicate a problem you just learn to manage it. Monty on the other hand gets away with nothing because he tries nothing bless him. Oh no I tell a lie, we can't pull his mane, it's the only thing he objects to. I think I'd object to that too!

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
Nipping game goes thus.
Horse bites, gets smack, pause, horse bites, gets smack, pause and so on and so forth - until horse gets ''WILL YOU STOP BITING'' along with smack. Bigger pause.... horse bites...

Also rearing :-/

Elsiecat

Visit site
Foxys 'bad behaviour' is chasing me up the field nuzzling my jacket pockets in a desperate search for polos :D she doesn't really do anything naughty anymore..
Susie.. Well.. Apart from jumping the fence (and bringing it down with her, luckily it was a tape fence) today and then proceeding to back up when I eventually did the 'chasing' method that I'm using to catch her.. Nothing. She's a dream in all ways, until she has to be caught. Hence her attempting to scale the fence to get away. But trust me, I'm not 'putting up' with THAT ;) the other day after me doing the chase thing and catching her several times, she really progressed and let me catch her straight away. Its just today she's been a *****!!!
I don't put up with bad behaviour though, they're far too big to learn that its ok to push your around

Taisypops

Visit site
Apparent inability to stand still..........either at the mounting block or out hacking!!! She has however improved in the time Ive owned her :) x

ha903070

Visit site
Latest thing with young tb is kicking forward with her back leg when you are doing the girth up, its on her blind side so she doesnt manage to catch you.

Also she is not to be prodded in the stable in an attempt to move her over as this encourages kicking.

She's learnt to move away from voice now in this situation. If you start a fight with this mare it can get nasty.

3BayGeldings

Visit site
My 20 year old retired horse gets away with murder. I don't even bother with headcollars for him anymore, I just let him wander around. Knowing full well he'll trot off up the farm just to be naughty instead of going straight to the field :rolleyes: Amongst many other things, he just has the run of the farm these days. I know him inside out though, I'm always relaxed with him as I know exactly how his mind works.

Chestersmummy

Visit site
;my gelding is getting very bargy in the stable, but that will stop when he's in regularly. Also he refuses to stand still when being tacked up. Nothibg naughty just fidgeting. Oh and would rather try to rear than have fly spray on. But sometimes he forgets hes scared of it and stands as good as gold so i know hes just trying it on so i continue anyway.

WestCoast

Visit site
Generally nothing, but when I put her back in the stable after an evening ride there is generally a big pile of haylage in the corner. Normally I'd take her in, turn her, make her wait while I close the stable door, then take the headcollar off. But if there's food in there that leads to an almighty battle - she is one food fixated horse. She doesn't so much eat it as slaughter it.

So I walk her in and release her. Don't need to close the door before doing so, because she ain't going anywhere except that pile of food. She's also not learning hat she can do what she likes as I'm not asking her to do anything except walk in and stand while I remove the headcollar.

I think she's a little hungry as she has lost a bit of her belly recently, but she was getting rather fat and all of the other horses ther are sleek, but well fed so I'm trusting them to get it right.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qxHse6C-0PI

Paula

fburton

Visit site
I tolerate untidy pooing in the stable... although I often grumble to myself about it depending on my mood.

My last horse was an extremely tidy pooer though - just one pile to remove every morning - and for a lot of his 30 year life he didn't have any other behaviours that one could really call bad. (I miss him terribly. :( ) He did terrorize one or two people in his youf, before I started looking after him, but I think that was more down to their inexperience than anything else.

MagicMelon

Visit site
My oldie gets away with murder, and all I do is laugh because he still has the energy to do it.

He is the one who unties himself, sneaks out of the gate at bring in and investigates the YOs garden. He insists on pulling all his haylage out of his nets and soaking it into a soggy mess in his water bucket

If this was one of the others they would be in trouble for any of it. He gets away with it because he's 36 :D

Ha ha, this is exactly like my old pony! Ive forgotten how old he is now, 25 / 26. He's always been such a character, he does exactly the things yours does! He also likes to pull down other horses rugs and wee on them which is just lovely... NOT!

I let him get off with these things, but my other horses I don't think I put up with any bad behaviour from - I've only had one who I would consider was a bit naughty (a Welsh Cob of course!) and we were always having arguements. But generally Ive been very lucky and all the ones Ive had have been lovely.

montysmum1

Visit site
My old lad is another one for pulling rugs down and peeing on them!

My youngster has any hint of naughtiness nipped in the bud immedietly as she's very sharp and i want her to be well mannered. My old lad does get away with murder, but nothing nasty, just cheeky :rolleyes:

LJN

Visit site
When I first got my horse, he had a few naughty habits - he would nip at you if he had been standing around for too long and he would paw at the ground ALL THE TIME!!! He was also quite bargy generally. He had apparently been a real spoilt brat in his previous home.

I didn't really make any big effort to change any of his vices, because to be frank I was quite scared of him when he first arrived, but as time has gone on I have noticed that he doesn't do any of those things anymore. I don't know what has changed him, or if he just respects me and likes me enough to not want to push me around now! He still sometimes paws the ground a bit if he is very excited, but I don't feel the need to offer to re-surface the yard anymore :D

Flame_

Visit site
My horse doesn't try to behave badly. Its lovely, but I have put up with quite a lot in the past when my standards were lower.

NagsEquestrian

Visit site
My youngster turns her bum to me in the field and backs up into me so I can scratch her bum. :rolleyes:
Horrible habit I taught her when she was a foal and annoys me when i'm walking through the field and she trots towards me and thrusts her big white bum in my face for a scratch, but I do give the best bum scritches so I will let her off :p