Bad end to the season

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Just back from Aldon - Unfortunately work has taken over my life this week and horse has been pushed back so only managed to ride yesterday in the pitch black so was not feeling very prepared for it all today. Dressage was lousy - he was a bit full of it and tense - broke a couple of times in the canter so unsurprising 43.
Sj my horse was as flat as a pancake and that carried on in the ring and he had 3 down. Normally we are long at everything but today he was chiping in strides and just not flowing. Bit disappointed as he has been improving so much. Wondered if he was not right but thought I would run xc as last of season and pull up if he was struggling.
XC was pretty bad did not think he was going to get over the first fence but he perked up and was ok performance but nothing like the feel he gave me last week. Had a stupid run out at the corner where he had not locked on and got round rest ok. Really pleased as he jumped straight into the water over a small log which is normally a bogey fence for him.
Anyway I do not think he was 100% as he was a bit snotty at the end and have just got him home and still a bit snotty. So he will have a couple of weeks off and then do some BSJA. So pretty crap day and anyone watching must be wondering how an earth this horse is going to go round a novice which is the plan for next year! Anyway fingers crossed a winter of pootling and sorting out all our issues and hopefully getting some consistency will bring us out fighting next year.

tigers_eye

Visit site
Oh lec, sorry to hear you had to end on that note. I do think October is a funny month for them with the weather changing and their coats etc. I'm glad I decided to call it a day after Charlton. At least he went round and did you proud at the water, I'm sure he will be fine at Novice after a few PN's at the start of the Spring to get him going again. Will you be hunting over the winter?

Agent XXX999

Visit site
You poor thing...x

Wouldnt it be nice to not have to work?!

I have the same problem, and then only go to comps at the weekend, when they are full and the classes are full! x

I_A_P

Visit site
oh sorry to hear that, i know what u mean about them being not quite right, my mare is always a bit iffy this time of year when its time to change coats etc, and she i have noticed today has got a cough and a snotty nose, so not quite sure whats going on, and i have my first PN 2moro!! whcih im worried about!

LEC

www.youtube.com
I was going to hunt him but we had issues at water last week doing RC Area HT so I have decided to leave it. The problem I have is we jump great big socking main rhynes A rhyne . For a TB I have never had a such a quick learner over them as you expect to get wet a couple of times with them jumping in rather than over. But it came to Feb and asking him to go into water and he told me to piss off as that is suicide! So still working over these issues even now! He hates big drops into water fine if there is a log or trot in as he can understand that. So will try and get a few days with Taunton Vale over hedges but more expensive and not very local. Anyway appologies for long winded explanations!

tigers_eye

Visit site
Oh right, well I can see he might have a "once bitten twice shy" approach to water! I was thinking of the hunting more to stop him chipping in the little strides, so maybe team chasing or pairs round good courses? Just to get his blood up a bit?

LEC

www.youtube.com
I let Seabiscuit sit on him today she said she thought I was either brave or stupid as his canter is awful! His trot work and walk work is very good but the canter is crap (getting better v.slowly!). Its this that causes us difficulties as we are often a bit unbalanced. Taking on a hedge if we are on a good bold stride we are sailing as you can just keep kicking. Where we are not so hot is turning or when we are falling on to the forehand as he becomes unbalanced and its easier for him to trot or chip one in. I know it will come with time and riding him will be so much easier.

seabiscuit

Visit site
PMSL you are brave yes;I definately did not mean to say stupid! Haha.......
His trot and walk is lovely though- come next year I am sure he will be good-once the canter is fixed he'll be very consistent I am sure.He is a big lad and has prob only just finished growing!
He was great through the water!

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
Don't worry about it. It's just that time of year. Don't put yourself down because of it. Because our season finishes a bit early up north, my lot have just been winding down (i.e. only getting out to ride at weekends and OH lunging them mid week). Only a couple more HT to go and that's us til the BE Arena events in Jan.

It's a weird time of year with woolly horses, odd temperatures and burnt out riders (or maybe that's just me!!).

It'll all be fine. I had a terrible xc run last weekend on my main horse and I'm planning on doing BE Novice with him next season. You'd think I was riding for the first time my technique was so hellish!

tw1nn1ejo

Visit site
sorry to here the bad news
frown.gif
i hope all goes well next year. *fingers crossed*
smile.gif
xxx

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Hard luck, if he's a bit snotty that will probably explain t. You now have the winter to work on the canter and will probably find he is totally dfiierent next year particularly if you can get plenty of hunting in as well.

dieseldog

Visit site
The jumping was not as bad as LEC is making out. I do have some photos if you want me to post them. He's got a long canter at the moment so when he comes to a fence and is a little off he finds it hard to shorten smoothly. A lot of horses were stopping which yours didn't do.

Was Seabiscuit sat on him when I saw you walking back?

siennamum

Visit site
That doesn't sound too bad to me. There were no disasters or confidence shakers. Was rather glad I hadn't bothered in the end with the weather, bet it was far from ideal!!
Young Boss is keen to go XC schooling on Shadrack, so if you want to do some water jumping before the courses all close, let me know and we may try and organise something...
grin.gif

BBs

Visit site
Oh LEC it wasnt as bad as all that!

I thought Rodney was stunning! and such a soppy git!!

The SJing did look like a lot of hard work! very similar to what happend to me at Charlton Park last year! there Winston had picked up something and was feeling under the weather!

The xc definitely looked far easier for you guys and he popped into the water like a pro
smile.gif

It was lovely to meet you, albeit very briefly!

But Im thinking that we should all decend on Aldon next year for the 3DE
smile.gif

cheeky girl

community.webshots.com
Ahhhhh Luce I know that's dissappointing but you'll be fighting fit for the start of next season.
The weather can't of helped as it chucked it down on Friday here.
Put it behind you and look forward to next year
grin.gif