Bad Fall

fliffkins

Visit site
Well today I suffers a fall which for the first time in my life has landed me in hospital.
Dislocated elbow, fracture of the elbow and multiple fractures of the pelvis.
I was working with my 10yo Welsh x tb in the lunge pen. Making him stand by the mounting block whilst I put weight in stirrups and lent over (he was backed beginning of last year )
Recently he has started to be a pig to get on which is why I've gone back to doing what I was doing. Once he's ready and you can get on he is so chilled out and loves to be ridden. Today however was not his day and even before I sat in the saddle he bronched, took off and bucked, hence me hitting the deck. The annoying thing is someone was meant to be coming to view him for full loan and I have others lined up. It's going to be a long time before I'm back up on my feet and ready to ride. I just don't know what to do with him now. I'm considering sending him back to the guy who broke him in for me and have him sell him. He deals with problem horses so will iron out any kinks before selling him. I won't see any money for him but at least he will have found a new suitable home.
I feel guilty as before me he was passed from pillar to post and along the way took some beatings. Hence his issues with mounting etc. I'm 35 now and don't have the time to work with him daily to get him to where he needs to be, I work full time, study part time at college and I also have chrons disease so some days I don't have the energy to ride or work with him.
I've had him 3 years now and we've come a long way and achieved so much I just don't know what to do for the best.
He has recently had his back scanned, physio tack checked and teeth, all showed no signs of anything so he's not in pain or uncomfortable.

Bluesmum

Visit site
Sorry, I don't have any words of advice this hour of the morning, but didn't want to read and run.
Sounds like your priority is to make sure you follow drs orders and give yourself a fair chance to recover. Maybe give yourself a few days until you make any big decisions.
So sorry to hear you are in pain. Sending gentle healing vibes your way.

fliffkins

Visit site
Thank you bluesmum, it's so hard as I'm going to be out of action till after Christmas and I don't want him going backwards as I have no one else to ride him. I
I love him to bits and just want what is best for him.

TrasaM

Visit site
As already said first get yourself better then consider horses future. It sounds like you've worked hard to sort him out and if still having issues I don't think that I would personally want to carry on. Get well soon.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
fliffkins your emotions and thinking will be all over the place after what you have just experienced (not to forget the affect of painkillers too). Take every day slowly and get yourself healed and try not to dwell on your dilemma whilst you get well. The right solution will make itself clear but don't force a decision this early after the fall. Get well soon.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Your first priority has to be getting well yourself. Try not to make any big decisions until you are on the road to recovery, you may find that you have done something which you later regret. Have you had the saddle checked? I would get a 2nd opinion because it seems that something has changed for the horse, as he hasn't done this all along.

Get well soon!

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
Ooh, nasty fall - I hope you mend quickly.

I guess you'll have trouble trusting the horse again, but don't make any hasty decisions. You could send him to the man that broke him to iron out the problems and keep him ticking over until you're fully recovered, then decide. As the others have said, your first priority is to get yourself well again. Best wishes from me!

fliffkins

Visit site
Thank you everyone, my worry is me being out of action for so long means he is also going to be out of action and then he'll have reverted back to an almost un broke horse by the time I'm healed. I wish I could afford to send him to the trainers during that time but in reality funds won't stretch that far. There is a chance the trainer may not take him at the moment anyway as he has several horses in to train and sell. I'm just worried that I may have lost my bottle about getting back on him.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If you have someone who can check on him, I would turn him away until the spring. He won't have forgotten what he knows. You will be in a better position to make a decision and, if you decide to go down that route, he will be easier to sell in Spring, rather than now.

Archangel

Visit site
Good advice Pearlasinger, this is what I would do. Don't be too hard on yourself - you have had a nasty fall. I persisted with a difficult horse for 5 years, he came good in the end and it was very rewarding but if presented with the same situation again I would spend the 5 years on an uncomplicated horse! Speedy recovery from your injuries.

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
If you have someone who can check on him, I would turn him away until the spring. He won't have forgotten what he knows. You will be in a better position to make a decision and, if you decide to go down that route, he will be easier to sell in Spring, rather than now.

I agree, good advice. It may do him some good to turn him away, give him a chance to chill out and mature for a while. Do you have someone who can handle him regularly to maintain discipline on the ground? I hope it all works out for you.

happyclappy

Visit site
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. I broke my pelvis but no other bones at the same time, and had to walk with crutches which, as I expect, you will need, this will be difficult with the addition of arm injuries. I really hope you heal well and do not suffer the terrible pain I did.
I agree it may be a good idea to turn your horse away for a while.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I agree with Pearl too. It might even do him good to have a winter off and a re start. In the meantime get some rest and get better. Don't let it stress you too much this week, you've had a nasty accident and a shock. Be kind to yourself.

Field04

Visit site
Hope you get better soon and are not in too much pain. Take some time to make your decision, but remember you have done your best for him. Don't feel guilty about whatever you decide, just take your time.

Tobiano

Visit site
oh my goodness - poor you! That sounds absolutely awful.

I'd say that your absolute priority is to heal and get well. I don't see anything wrong with sending your boy to a person you trust to find him a good home. Even when you can ride again you will probably not want to begin with a horse with issues but build yourself back steadily. I do hope you heal quickly and am sending lots of vibes xxx

fliffkins

Visit site
Thank you to everyone for your kind and healing words.
I'm so glad I posted in this forum. I have posted the thread on another forum site and the response I have gotten on there is quite different from that on here. The majority verdict is I should have him pts as he is dangerous and clearly doesn't want to be ridden.
I am so annoyed. He loves to be ridden and in work, it was just that day he wasn't right and he told me that but I didn't listen.
Dangerous .... aren't they all! He has been broken almost 2 years and this is only the 2nd time I have come off him.
He doesn't rear, bolt, buck (until sunday) cat leap or anything else, and yet so many people keep horses that do. If we all put horses to sleep whenever they did something wrong then there wouldn't be many horses left!
His issues have resulted from past treatment of humans, he has come a long way to overcome this and if he's having an off day once in a while, well I don't blame him.
Sorry rant over, I'm happy to listen to people's opinions and ideas and I'm not against having him pts if it was for the right reason. In this case though I don't feel it is.

Tern

Visit site
Sending healing vibes - a broken femur and cast from toes to thigh was bad enough with only having cast removed few weeks back, can't imagine your injuries! Go with what someone said on previous page and turn him away.. If you don't get anywhere next year then he could easily be a companion i'm sure! Likely the months away will do him a world of good as it did with my mare who didn't get ridden for 2 months when I broke my leg, she is now basically a different horse in some cases! Companion should of course could be a last resort. xx

fliffkins

Visit site
Thanks Pearl that made me laugh.
And you're right I an starting to feel better, I've gone 24 hours without crying ��
And hoping to be home for next week.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Ouchie. Hope the healing process isn't too prolonged. It is demoralising when accidents happen, particularly when you've put so much work into it all.

Don't rush any decisions like the others have already said. Concentrate on mending yourself first. The rest can wait. Would you have had enough time to ride over the winter anyway? Turning away sounds like a good idea to me. He'll realise something is up I'll bet so he can reflect on things too.

armchair_rider

Visit site
Well as first hospitalising falls go you certainly did a thorough job - get well soon.

I don't really know what to advise re the horse but turning him away won't do him any harm - and it will give you the time to recover and plan his future.

fliffkins

Visit site
I'm going home today!
Would like to thank everyone for their well wishes and advice. Still haven't made a firm decision on what is happening with the 'oss' but I'll give it a few weeks and see what happens.

mjcssjw2

Visit site
wow, hope you manage ok, my horse bronced me of at gallop a few weeks ago, i only broke some ribs and damaged the ligaments in my hip, but was very very sore, don't know how you are going on. It took me a month to get doing anywhere near my normal horsey jobs without the riding. Hope you feel ok.