Bad habits hard to break

Princess16

Visit site
After reading a thread on here about keeping head up whilst riding just wondered what bad habits others have when riding, be it experienced riders or newbies like myself.

Mine is also looking down especially when I'm about to do a transition be it trotting, turning etc. I also sometimes have reins too slack.

Anyone else ?

rachk89

Visit site
I have developed a habit of my left hand turning flat when riding since i got my horse. Pretty sure it's him causing me to do it but not sure how. Never happened before.

I lean forward too when nervous. And my feet have recently started tilting so that only the outside of my foot is lying on the stirrup and the inside part isn't. No idea how i have managed that either.

Oh i do the looking down thing too. Not many issues...

Enfys

Visit site
Oh Dear Lord. If I had a lesson I would expect to be put back on the lunge for 3 sessions.

Familiarity breeds contempt don't they say ? I ride with one hand, my feet are frequently too far forward which I do consciously work on. :(

I also carry my hands high.

Last edited:

tamsinkb

Visit site
Currently, I have an awful habit of hunching my shoulders.....probably as a result of the dreadful weather this winter and trying to keep my face and neck out of the worst if it..... I really have to focus on 'shoulders back' ....not normally a problem :(

darkbay19

Visit site
I've got 2 really bad habits! I'm either leaning forward to much, or have reverted back to an old mans hunting seat- that was thanks to an old pony who was very forward and hard to stop! Instructor always compares me to those old paintings of hunts which u find in little country pubs. The leaning forward thing should be sorted very soon as I've taken on a pony known to buck and I'm not coming off a little pony in front of any of my colleges or friends!

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I'm definitely a member of the 'lean forward' brigade. I really am trying to work on it as it affects my jumping. I recently went to a jumping clinic and the trainer pointed out that I lean forward even when asking my horse to move from halt to walk. When jumping, if Sam isn't sure and backs off a little, instead of keeping my shoulders back and using my leg, I tip forward, my legs shoot back and Sam just says, well, if that's how you feel why should I bother LOL.

I'm also trying to break the habit of leaning forward, looking down and throwing the reins away in canter transitions. The difference when I get it right is phenomenal.

Trouble is, leaning forward is my default position if I'm not quite sure :(

Pippity

Visit site
Carry my hands too low, lean forward (although getting better on that!), and, thing my trainer's currently focusing on with me, I struggle not to throw my contact away during upwards transitions.

Knockadoon

Visit site
Hands too low. Always. Just feels bloody unnatural to have them up so high. Drives my instructor mad. He threathens to make me balance a whip on them like they used to make kids do.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I drop my reins. Side effect of years with a horse that went mad at any rein contact who had to only rode via seat and hands. Any lapse of concentration at my reins are washing lines.

Annagain

Visit site
My hands are a law unto themselves. They turn into all sorts of positions except the one they should be in...sometimes they roll in so that my thumbs face each other but, more inexplicably sometimes they also roll forwards so my thumbs are pointing to the floor. If I try to replicate it, (as I just have done to work out a way of describing what they do) it hurts so how I do that when I'm riding and don't notice it, I'll never know!

Damnation

Visit site
I look down which in turn makes me tilt forward slightly. My left foot sticks out instead of facing forward, and I have a tendancy to "hang" with my left hand.

I also carry my hands a bit too low.

pennyturner

Visit site
Reins too long, feet stuck out like a duck, seat so floppy I look like I should have a cuppa in my hand. The last one makes for an interesting sight if the pony suddenly springs forward, as my seat goes with him and I give with my hands, but my centre of gravity is behind my leg, so my body gets left behind. :(

Enfys

Visit site
My instructor does this with me using a drumstick tho not a whip!

That reminded me of the things our instructors used to do, at school (where riding was on the curriculum) it was pound notes between our knees and the saddle.

When I belonged to a Military Saddle Club we had to be deemed proficient before we could ride out of the school, it was a whip through our elbows behind our backs and a whip up right in each hand. We had all the reject cavalry horses mine was famous for dumping his rider in front of the Queen and buggering back to the mews, they made you work those horses.

Last edited: