Bad livery in cornwall

Mechelle

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Im looking on advice for an unsafe, acting livery, where my horses have escaped from 4 times, so have been boxed for 6 weeks while i had to pay for fencing out of my own pocketand put it up myself, and not got water in the outer paddocks or safe fencing, and no boundary fence to the property, it is a DIY yard, there is suppose to be somebody living on sight. But a few times nobody has been there for 48 hours at a time, where do i stand legally as im not allowed my deposits back, and have been asked to leave as i asked for the services I've been charged for,

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Your best course of action is to leave, taking with you anything that you have provided. If you put your horse out in unsafe grazing, you are deemed to have accepted the risk.

Mechelle

New User
Visit site
I've got a safe place, for them to go, but was wondering what legally i can do, as he is just a bully and take good peoples money, and getting away with it, you don't realise how bad somewhere is until your there, and then your trapped, having 4 ponies at the place, its really not that easy to move on

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
After you have moved, I might be tempted to 'name and shame' on local social media to warn others and let him sue you for libel if he feels that way inclined but realistically it's probably best to just move and let as many people as you can know by wom why you have moved. His reputation will get out and eventually he will have no customers.

Smitty

Visit site
I cannot help and have no suggestions, but having moved from my own premises to livery after 45 years or so was very very hard. I can only say you absolutely have my sympathy. It sounds awful.

Mechelle

New User
Visit site
I am the last of his liveries, so he has no business, i will also name and shame as its really unfair, i work really hard for what we have, to be taken as fools in this way, and the horses to be treated in this manner, im probably not the only person in this position, it just shouldn't be allowed to happen,

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes, i got served notice today, said if i didn't move them my tomorrow the land owner will keep them and refused my deposits back,

Then you can easily raise a small claim online as soon as they are away from there to sue him to get your deposit back. He may never pay but it will make his life uncomfortable for a while and give him a CCJ on his credit record which should cause him a few problems.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Yes, i got served notice today, said if i didn't move them my tomorrow the land owner will keep them and refused my deposits back,
He cannot keep your horses, this would be theft.

You can potentially claim your deposit back via small claims.

Where are you based within Cornwall (feel free to PM)? Could you rent a field for them all in the short term? It's a difficult time of year to find new grazing unfortunately.

Mechelle

New User
Visit site
I got them all safe, and most of my stuff, thankyou all, im very grateful for your input, i did find out, even thou he is a livery and doesn't need a licence, he has to follow rules by cornwall council and defra. For the land to be safe for live animal stock, and can report him that way so no horses ever come to harm, while in his care of a livery. The people that helped me move, was also gobsmacked for the state of fence and outside conditions. He has no liveries left also which gives me comfort knowing, no horses at risk of harm, and decent paying people are not getting ripped off, wish you all a good week x