Bad pony, bad BAD pony!

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Lukey is well and truly in the bad books after being a complete dick for my lovely farrier. Lukey's eyes were out on stalks as soon as his van drew up, and reared the second the farrier went to lift his foot up
blush.gif
I could understand it if lukey had had a bad experience with a farrier, but he never has, and given Henry is so good with him I can't understand his reaction
frown.gif
It's 60% fear, 40% naughtiness and i'm just not sure how to manage the problem
smirk.gif
It was so embarrassing! Bloody pony......

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
His eyes were practically bulging out of his head, and he was shaking, hence fear! And no, he's never had a bad experience with this or any other farrier...i've had him since a baby so think i'd know.

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Global herbs super calm instant in a feed 1 hour before he comes. Helped my ned when we started to hot shoe, took the edge of him.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Buy one of those small likit's and hold it in your hand during it. Honestly, mine go nuts for these (cherry and banana ones especially) - they'll happily lick for hours, totally ignoring what the farriers doing. Has kept many a youngster happy!

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Second the Lil Likits comment, I used this method on my old mare when I wanted her to take her mind off stuff, like her first clip, jabs etc. Greedy pig would try and eat the whole thing in one go. Probs better than the instants I recommended above as some horses don't like the taste, and I have never met a horse that doesn't like Likits.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Ha ha, he loves likits, he's just not normally allowed them as the sugar in them makes him naughty! But then again, he won't be consuming much in the time it takes the farrier to trim his feet.
smile.gif