Badly brushing - Hind Boots?

evsj

Visit site
My horse is on walk only work at the mo and I have been hacking her on the road, around the fields and going round and round in the school.

She has always moved close behind and so wears hind brushing boots. Trouble is she brushes very low down and is constantly brushing the inside of her hind heels. Its seems to be worse since she had her time off (tendon strain) and apart from in the school, everythime I untack I have to wash blood off and dress her heels because they are always grazed and raw where she has caught herself.

I am going to ask the farrier if he can feather-edge the inside of her hind shoes next time but until then, I'm not sure how to protect this area. Tried a fetlock ring once before but it didn't really help (and I've lost it!) - thinking of trying overreach boots. Does anyone else do this???
frown.gif

zulu705

Visit site
My mare does this too. Its like the hair has been neatly cut with scissors ! I use overreach boots on the hind legs sometimes and they work well.

spaniel

Visit site
Over reach boots should do the trick or possibly a rubber suasage boot (can you still get those?). Hopefully with work she will muscle up and brush less as time goes on.

filly190

Visit site
I use a sausage boot and even turn my mare out with one on. It really does work and wearing it 24/7 for the past year has helped her action.