Badminton 1st timers - top tips & helpful hints needed

FlyingCoo

Visit site
Not camping, glamping:

http://www.podpads.com/ :D

Joss we all have air mattresses, so Figjam should be comfy. She is still very neat so think we will only need the hill hoist for Blair ;)

Thought mattresses are supplied so don't need the old air beds??

OMG those podpads look soo cool! All I can suggest is wine and spending money :)

That's me sorted then lots of wine is easily done and might need to knock the dust off the credit card for once and go wild :D:D:D:D:D

Nic

Visit site
Flying coo I meant the ones that come with the podpad.

Will need to dig out my onsie, haven't seen it since Blair!

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Thought mattresses are supplied so don't need the old air beds??

Yup, according to the website they come with mattresses (none of your slumming it on airbeds! ;) )

"The 'bunkpad' comes with a solid floor and carpet.

The 'bunkpad' accommodates 4 adults and comes with two sets of bunkbeds. The bunks are handmade in quality softwood with a slatted base and 3" foam mattress.

With a lockable front door, these units have shelving, underbed storage and a hanging wardrobe shelf unit to keep those festival clothes neat and tidy.

The 'bunkpad' has 3 opening windows with curtains for privacy and there is a mirror, coat hooks and a waste bin.

The 'bunkpad' has 240v electricity and has an interior light and a reading light for each guest. There will be spare standard 3 pin sockets for your use."

:D

Figjam I have my Blair fridge but take it it's too big?

Oooh, sounds good but best check with Chief of Logistics FlyingCoo- will we need to do a test run packing the car do you think?! ;)

Nic

Visit site
Ooh apologies I thought the podpad mattresses were air ones, going by the pics. Good stuff, nowt worse than deflating overnight!!

Twiglet

Visit site
Standard camping advice - take plenty of bin bags, warm clothes, baby wipes and waterproofs. Take your own loo roll.

Take a towel for the showers - try and shower after the end of competition for the day, or ridiculously early in the morning, or you'll be queueing for ages.

The campsite shop is quite expensive and often runs out - if you're looking for bacon etc get it in the food court bit.

We found it hard to get bread a couple of years running (they didn't sell any fresh on the campsite or in foodcourt, although they did white sliced in the village shop) - worth bearing in mind :p

It's about a 15-20 walk (depending on where in campsite you are) to the shopping stand, so make sure you have everything with you for the day or it's a faff going backwards and forwards.

You see the best action for the dressage in front of the big screen (by the coffee stands and beer tents). Stake out your spot early on with a picnic blanket (and umbrellas!) and use it as your base for dressage days. Convenient for loos and food.

Get the running order at the beginning of each day as it'll be updated with previous day's scores and current placings - it's at the organisers tent, or whatever it's called.

My best tip is TAKE A STOOL TO WATCH THE TROT UP! It's always worth going over early for on SJ morning (I've gone in my pjs before) and watching the trot up - the crowd can get big so if you have a portable stool you can hang at the back and see it all.

Do shopping on dressage days as there is more stock, and I don't find the deals get substantially better over the course of the event.

Take plenty of cash as they often charge for the machines - although the Thomas Cook place does it I think.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
you can often do a deal on meat for supper/brekkie in the food hall at the end of the day ;) we do tend to plan grub for the week .. working towards the more keepable stuff

agree ref the running orders.. wish had known that years ago and showers soon after end of comp is usually my plan, not found them too horrendous before- though was easier last time as no mud about!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
We found it hard to get bread a couple of years running (they didn't sell any fresh on the campsite or in foodcourt, although they did white sliced in the village shop) - worth bearing in mind :p

Do shopping on dressage days as there is more stock, and I don't find the deals get substantially better over the course of the event.

Although the mediterranean food folks do have "bread products" and do freshly baked giant patisserie things - their choc and custard twists or cinnamon roll are my reward for walking the XC course ;)

If what you want has plenty of stock it's worth bearing in mind that on SJ day you can usually haggle a bit more - especially if the weather has been a bit rubbish as the stalls will sell off any stock that's got a bit grubby for substantially less (as long as you're happy to clean it up ;) ). The haggle factor is one of the reasons we go that day. It's also a great day to walk the course as there are no crowds and you can properly clamber all over the fences to get a perspective on them :) There are usually a few loons that decide to "jump" the course on foot that day too :eek: :D

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Standard camping advice - take plenty of bin bags, warm clothes, baby wipes and waterproofs. Take your own loo roll.

Take a towel for the showers - try and shower after the end of competition for the day, or ridiculously early in the morning, or you'll be queueing for ages.

The campsite shop is quite expensive and often runs out - if you're looking for bacon etc get it in the food court bit.

Get the running order at the beginning of each day as it'll be updated with previous day's scores and current placings - it's at the organisers tent, or whatever it's called.

Thanks- these are all things we employ at Blair so have them sorted. Agree the running order sheets from secretary tent (or public info at an event as big as Badminton I guess as us minions won't get anywhere near actual secretary!) definitely helpful and although we'll try be stocked up on what food we can keep fresh, it is indeed always worth a mooch round the food market stall at the end of the day!

It's about a 15-20 walk (depending on where in campsite you are) to the shopping stand, so make sure you have everything with you for the day or it's a faff going backwards and forwards.

You see the best action for the dressage in front of the big screen (by the coffee stands and beer tents). Stake out your spot early on with a picnic blanket (and umbrellas!) and use it as your base for dressage days. Convenient for loos and food.

My best tip is TAKE A STOOL TO WATCH THE TROT UP! It's always worth going over early for on SJ morning (I've gone in my pjs before) and watching the trot up - the crowd can get big so if you have a portable stool you can hang at the back and see it all.

Take plenty of cash as they often charge for the machines - although the Thomas Cook place does it I think.

These ones more Badminton specific, ta very much. :) Will take a stock of burger rolls (not as nice as proper fresh, but Warburtons and similar do bags which have a decent shelf life) with us and backpacks so we can load up and only make the trip from campsite/parking at start and end of day. :)

Will need to remember and wait until we're in Englanshire to get cash out at services en route- since they'll look at us like we've just printed our own Scottish weird notes...! ;) But will try take a stash of cash with us to avoid charges or worse, running out! :eek:

Not sure we'll have room for a stool though. Maybe I can use Nic or FlyingCoo as a stool instead?! :p

Nic

Visit site
Hadn't thought of Englandshire notes, but I imagine there will be folks from all over so hopefully not too many 2 headed looks!

I have those wee canvas foldy stool thingies if they are of use, they should fit in a rucksack.

Hmm time to raid the camper van cupboard & see what I can pinch!

dollymix

Visit site
We are glamping too in a very bright blue lorry - we are easy to spot :)

My only tip is this - when considering what clothes to take...plan for all eventualities!! I have been at Badminton in glorious sunshine, so hot that I got sunstroke (wear a hat!!!) , but also when it's been that wet that the mud is welly deep!!!

Be aware that the campsite can be 'lively!' lol - people have a good time and are very friendly. It is my friends birthday whilst we are there, so we'll be having a big party (think there is about 15-20 of us from our yard!!!!)

CANNOT WAIT!!! Was gutted last year when the rain stopped play!

Please everyone do your very best anti-rain dance! :)

teapot

Visit site
For whoever asked - if you walk the course backwards you're against most of the crowd wave and tend to see more!

teapot

Visit site
Also - the warm up is a good place to watch and the atmosphere in the arena sitting for the last few riders on course is really good (plus there's a big screen in the arena too so you can still watch their rounds) :)

BabyCoo

New User
Visit site
OMG EEEEEKKKKKK I was excited on Monday when the news broke of this TeamC road trip but after reading all these post AAARRRGGGGHHHH even more excited...22 sleeps!!!!

We need to arrange a Scottish get together! Need to give the scottish riders the loudest WOOP WOOPS on XC day!!!

Argh is it not May yet!!!!!

Team C Rocks!!!

Roadtrip

Nic

Visit site
OMG EEEEEKKKKKK I was excited on Monday when the news broke of this TeamC road trip but after reading all these post AAARRRGGGGHHHH even more excited...22 sleeps!!!!

We need to arrange a Scottish get together! Need to give the scottish riders the loudest WOOP WOOPS on XC day!!!

Argh is it not May yet!!!!!

Team C Rocks!!!

Roadtrip

Oooh a Babycoo!!! :D:D:D:D

Nic

Visit site
Thanks everyone, lots of good insider info.

Sounds like the Badders lot are much more up for a party than the Blair campsite officials! :rolleyes:

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I'm very jealous btw. I was trying to get SIL and co. to go down for the weekend but they're all too busy :(

Could have been another Scottish crowd... And there still may be if I get my way!

Mrs B

Visit site
My only tip is this - when considering what clothes to take...plan for all eventualities!! I have been at Badminton in glorious sunshine, so hot that I got sunstroke (wear a hat!!!) , but also when it's been that wet that the mud is welly deep!!!

This ^^^ is very true! :D

Will be there as usual on XC day and this year, I am offering the special 'Mrs B's Badders HHO Exclusive Goldstar Service': for a mere £20 and your pin number, I will personally look after your credit cards to make sure they don't get .... er ..... lost.

Any takers?

YardGeek

Visit site
Eeeek! This is also going to be my first time camping at Badminton, although I have managed to borrow a little caravan in exchange for cupcakes so it shouldn't be too rough and ready ;)
The best bit is that I'm sneaking in for free as my friend in part the company that provides the Porto-loos, not very glamorous but is does mean more money for shopping :D :D

Some of these tips are really useful!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!