Badminton 1st timers - top tips & helpful hints needed

Mrs B

Visit site
oi you that's mine :p :p

No gate crashing our parties unless you deliver said oakley at same time ;) :p :D

Ah. Well. You drive a hard bargain, S_C.

You see, I had rather promised its capacious accommodation to a few of this year's Badders' riders as a 'party pad' ... (purely as an investment opportunity on behalf of your good self, you understand) ...sooooo .... if you wouldn't mind just agreeing to delay taking delivery until Tuesday 7th May 2013, you should then be in possession of a rather smart - although slightly soiled - lorry. It'll be parked just by the old Vicarage Vee next to the Portaloos.

If you would be so good as to send the balance for the lorry to my usual account in the Bahamas, that would be marvellous.

:D

Ester - bottles will be provided - bit only when the queues for the Portaloos get too long.

Last edited:

Chocy

Visit site
Ooow Scottish meet-up sounds fun! Me & friends want 2 join that!
& wots with need Englandshire notes will my trusty HBOS card b looked at strangely cos it comes from the the kilt-wearing, whiskey-drinking, haggis-eating land??!! ;)

Shazzababs

Visit site
I've camped every year for as long as I can remember, here are a few tips:

- Take shoes to wear in the shower, its normally really grimy unless you luck out and follow the cleaners in.

- Take plenty of loo roll, they kindly clean the toilets often, but really early in the morning there will be none there. AND on XC day make sure you use the loos before leaving site, as you will be queuing for every time after that!

- The radios take the big round watch batteries, R3232 or something, we always take a pack (£1 fr 10 from amazon I believe) cos they are comparatively expensive to buy from the organisers and its really annoying if yours dies by showjumping day...

- The results from the days competition appear on a table near the shop\campsite reception an hour or so after competition finishes (later on XC Day).

- You will do loads of walking, it's a pretty decent hike from the campsite to the showground before you start for the day, so comfy boots, and good waterproofs are must.

- It can get really cold watching the dressage so lots of layers, hats and gloves are essential even if it doesn't feel that cold in the campsite.

- Take ear plugs, especially if you are on the camping rather than the caravan part of the site, or happen to be near the chip van.
Although people are generally quite good about noise, some of the large groups can be a little loud and it can be pretty hard to sleep especially if you like to tucked up before midnight!
One year we were parked next to a very large lorry with a couple of ladies sleeping in the back who obviously didn't realise quite how much their voices travelled....oh the things we found out, shame we didn't know who to sell the knowledge too!

- Make sure you visit the festival of wine (labelled food but its mostly booze) on the first day while they are still being generous with their samples, and then return to buy once you have decided on your favourite (this will probably take several tastings).

- If you are going to the Monday trot up, decide what time to go, and then go at least 30 mins earlier. Take a deck chair, your radio and some cash cos the coffee and bacon buttie vans will be open. Don't sit in the grandstand unless you want to listen to the Badminton Radio Guy do his commentary first hand.

mcnaughty

Visit site
Get up early to avoid the horrendous traffic!

Take something to sit on ie a rug or chairs.

Walk the course and then later on settle in front of the huge TV screen by the food area.

Layer up and take a back pack for redundant/extra clothes - it can be very cold there first thing in the morning but I have been when it has snowed and it has been so hot people have thrown themselves in the lake!

Phone signal is non-existent!!

Enjoy!!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The thing about camping is that you don't need to get up early to avoid the traffic ;). Phone signal must also be dependent on the provider as don't think I've ever had an issue.

monkeybum13

Visit site
I've never not had signal at Badminton (both during the event and all year round when riding/hunting up there) so that shouldn't be an issue.

If you get really stuck for food Tesco isn't too far away in a car on a night (tis 24/7) ;)

hcm88

Visit site
I've never camped as live close by but have been pretty much every single year since I was a baby so its a familiar event! You'll have a brilliant time, its the best weekend of the entire year.

Take picnic/your own food on XC day as getting lunch can be pretty bad - you don't want to be wasting valuable viewing time standing in a queue.

Phone signal not a problem! I'm on O2. Internet isn't great though (rendering the Badminton app useless..)

If you want a good seat at the lake make it your first spot to watch from and get there early as its often busy all day. I tend to get a good spot after I've had breakfast (we arrive at about 8am and have brekkie there), watch a good few go through the lake - normally its some of the top riders as they've got 2 horses so have to go early in the order. Then I start the course, good to walk backwards against the crowds. Finish in the arena, or its nice to start there too if you don't fancy waiting at the lake.

In the event the nicest toilets are by the East side of the arena (little portable blocks instead of portaloos)... but maybe I'm just ridiculously fussy about where I go to make this a valid tip!

Nearest supermarkets Yate/Tetbury/Malmesbury probably. I don't know much about the area west of Badminton though so there may be others.

If you want to purchase any of the Badminton collection do so on the first day...sizes all gone by weekend.

Struggling to think of anything else...seems like a long time since 2011! Have a fantastic time (I'm sure you will!) and fingers crossed for fine weather.

Nic

Visit site
Thanks for all the fantastic tips. #Roadtrip2013 commences in around 24 hours. Can't wait, excited is an understatement! :D

FlyingCoo

Visit site
Toot Toot :) Figjam,Nic,Babycoo & I set off this time tomorrow to arrive early doors Thursday with everything bar the kitchen sink packed.
May the Sun shine & everyone have a happy&safe event & not lose too many pounds out the pockets!!

alex2

Visit site
Every day the starting list for the day is available at the secretaries tent, i.e. dressage start times, xc start times, sj start times. Very useful to keep up with who is going when.

Willeeckers

Visit site
If anyone wants a ticket for Friday I've got one going spare....

Excited to be going thanks to a lucky win in an auction but I don't need the second ticket, seems a shame to let it go to waste...