Badminton 2023 thread

lannerch

Visit site
Well it makes me cross that the sport I love is bought into disrepute by one person acting in such a manner. Thousands watched those ugly pictures and it raises so many questions for people
Except it wasn’t just one , sadly there were several really tired horses being pushed and several fell or made bad errors because of it , sadly imo this includes the horse that ended up being put down. OT was certainly not the only one .

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Except it wasn’t just one , sadly there were several really tired horses being pushed and several fell or made bad errors because of it , sadly imo this includes the horse that ended up being put down. OT was certainly not the only one .

I think you are wrong about Fiona’s horse, he was going well within himself and made an error of judgement at the fence. I hope neither her or any of her friends see your post

Kat

Visit site
Reading Emily King’s post about her horse I am very surprised that a horse should tire with another 4 minutes of the course ahead. Is that horse simply not fit enough then?

Of course it is not all about the physical fitness, I understand that, but tiring only halfway through the course is quite a shock.
She did the right thing to retire if things didn't feel right but there was something very odd about the way she retired and when she made the decision. Tina Cook was baffled.

I do wonder if her post tells the full story.

He looked full of running and rather the reverse of tired.

Absolutely not a criticism it would have been better if a few more had pulled up.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
She did the right thing to retire if things didn't feel right but there was something very odd about the way she retired and when she made the decision. Tina Cook was baffled.

I do wonder if her post tells the full story.

He looked full of running and rather the reverse of tired.

Absolutely not a criticism it would have been better if a few more had pulled up.
He had a horrible horse fall last year near the end where he blew through the rebalance and tipped himself up. He is a very strong horse and tips onto his forehand if not careful.

Reactions: Kat

Kat

Visit site
He had a horrible horse fall last year near the end where he blew through the rebalance and tipped himself up. He is a very strong horse and tips onto his forehand if not careful.

Ah yes, I remember and Emily got her foot stuck, it looked really nasty.

I wondered if he was getting strong rather than tired or there was a control issue or possibly a soundness issue in the background. But definitely better to be safe than sorry.

Annagain

Visit site
Ah yes, I remember and Emily got her foot stuck, it looked really nasty.

I wondered if he was getting strong rather than tired or there was a control issue or possibly a soundness issue in the background. But definitely better to be safe than sorry.
I read her facebook post afterwards. She said he'd never run in ground like that so she didn't know how he'd cope. He started not responding to her aids so even though he didn't look tired to an outsider she knew he was tired. I think if she'd been a few fences from the end she'd have nursed him home but he still had a fair bit of the course to go.

teapot

Visit site
Comments from Piggy March's H&H column:

Two things that spring to mind are fitness and wet conditions. We need to make sure our horses are fit enough, but also, are we getting too precious?

I ran at Thoresby on CCI4*-S cross-country day and the ground was wet but very safe. It might not have allowed the speedy run that some might have wanted, but we need to compete in the mud sometimes for horses – and riders, for that matter – to learn how to cope.

It’s horses for courses and we all run when we feel we want to, but I spoke to Ros at Thoresby and she said she didn’t think Walter had ever run in the mud, so she wanted to educate and give him a nice experience in those conditions. How right was she?

teapot

Visit site
And some horses go best when it feels easy and they enjoy it. I can name tonnes of horses who haven’t made it 5* because they don’t like to dig deep and it feels hard to them. Mollie Summerlands would be a classic.

Just to bump this, I've always wondered how that horse would go with a different rider on him...and now he's for sale

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/mollie-summerland-charly-van-ter-heiden-on-the-market-830009

His last run, this year's Luhmuhlen 4* he had a run out/stop and subsequently retired on course too.

Michen

Visit site