Badminton horse trials tips

pinkypug1

Visit site
Hi, hubby had treated us to tickets for sat & sun. Never been before and wanting hits or tips for those who have been before. Is there a best way to plan the days, things to def see and do? Hubby wants a bar he can sit at to enjoy if he gets fed up watching horses lol!! We will prob be staying in Bristol or Chippenham what are trains/buses/taxis options like direct to trials? Thanks for any advice

ihatework

Visit site
It’s in the middle of the countryside, there is no public transport from Chippenham or Bristol to the venue.
You will need a car or taxi to get there (the latter might be very tricky tbh with the traffic). Alternatively you might find a specific events company that does coach transport?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
There's definitely bars and food areas so your husband will be catered for in that respect! There lots to see and do - I've taken non-horsey OH in the past and he's had a decent time :)

Echo IHW re transport, I think public transport would be tricky.

Have you booked separate SJ tickets for Sunday as I believe you'll need to if you want to watch the SJ in the arena.

My top tip is to take comfortable shoes and clothes for all weathers - I've been there is jeans, trainers and a vest top and also full waterproofs and winter clothing in other years ?

pinkypug1

Visit site
Hi we have tickets for Saturday & Sunday. Not sure what the Sunday ticket includes will
Need to have a look. We are just worried if we both go and have a drink or 2 or 3 how do we get back to our accommodation if we can’t get public transport ?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We are just worried if we both go and have a drink or 2 or 3 how do we get back to our accommodation if we can’t get public transport ?
You walk ?‍♀️.

One of you needs to stay sober. There are plenty of bars there, but there is not the drinking culture at Badminton that there is at Cheltenham races, for instance.

eggs

Visit site
Walk the course on the Sunday as then you will be able to get up to the jumps. Shopping will also not be so rammed on the Sunday.

If you are not taking public transport you will also need to buy parking tickets in advance.

If you don't have grandstand tickets for the Sunday don't worry, there is usually a huge screen in the food court area that will be showing the SJ. Your general admittance ticket will not include the grandstand as they are additional and would need to be purchased in advance.

There will be plenty of places to eat and drink but as mentioned above, there isn't the drinking culture at Badminton compared to some places.

pinkypug1

Visit site
You walk ?‍♀️.

One of you needs to stay sober. There are plenty of bars there, but there is not the drinking culture at Badminton that there is at Cheltenham races, for instance.
We’re not going for drinking
session!!! Just to enjoy a few glasses of wine and a picnic hopefully on the sunshine ? we can’t walk 20+ miles and can’t find anything available that’s much closer

pinkypug1

Visit site
I think we might cut out losses this year and be more prepared next year and take our camper van over and hopefully get into the camping area if we book early enough ?? Not sure I want to have the hassle of the transport issue and with flights, hotel, tickets etc it’s a pricy weekend to be stuck for lifts to/from and not be able to relax and enjoy a glass or 2 if we want too ?

ihatework

Visit site
I think we might cut out losses this year and be more prepared next year and take our camper van over and hopefully get into the camping area if we book early enough ?? Not sure I want to have the hassle of the transport issue and with flights, hotel, tickets etc it’s a pricy weekend to be stuck for lifts to/from and not be able to relax and enjoy a glass or 2 if we want too ?

If you are flying in deffo worth camping and making the most of it. There are good catering options, make it a mini holiday.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Go, but just don't drink. I'm local and go every year, and having a drink has never been on the radar at all. There's so much to see and do that having a drink wouldn't even occur to me. Its a 'comfy shoes and bottle of water' type of event (ie a heck of a lot of walking)
Also, the traffic queue to get in is always massive and I've been queued right back to the motorway in previous years. If you're flying down, you'll need to hire a car to get to Badminton as its quite remote. Being stuck in the queue would cost ££££ in a taxi.

Last edited:

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Get there early (like 8am) and if you want to see the lake make that your first (there's a bar beside it) other wise your be looking over hundreds of heads all day,
Be prepared for lots of walking!

pinkypug1

Visit site
We have decided to go next year and booking camping and enjoy and nice weekend on site without traffic jams and transport hassle! tbh I think hubby is delighted as it gives me time to arrange a friend to come instead ?

pinkypug1

Visit site
Go, but just don't drink. I'm local and go every year, and having a drink has never been on the radar at all. There's so much to see and do that having a drink wouldn't even occur to me. Its a 'comfy shoes and bottle of water' type of event (ie a heck of a lot of walking)
Also, the traffic queue to get in is always massive and I've been queued right back to the motorway in previous years. If you're flying down, you'll need to hire a car to get to Badminton as its quite remote. Being stuck in the queue would cost ££££ in a taxi.
not that we are Alco’s but on trip away we like to enjoy a few vino. I’m a trainers or wellies girls anyway & even on our monthly hikes we take a bottle beer to toast the summit of a climb rather than water ?