Eventing Badminton to run behind closed doors 2021

Squeak

Visit site
Great that they're looking to try and run it but also sad as Badminton is one of my favourite events to go to. Here's to hoping that CV might be under control by then and that we can enjoy it as normal.

I hope that they live stream/ air it on either main channels or you tube etc. Was a real shame to miss Pau due to it being on H & C.

Fanatical

Visit site
I really feel for all the trade stands - Badminton is the biggest week of the year for a lot of them and would bring in the most revenue. Some of them probably won't survive with 2 years on the trot of no Badminton sales.

Aside from that, I am glad it's going ahead as it's something to look forward to but equally gutted that it won't be the same for the riders - and especially those who are only likely to make it there once or twice in their lifetime. Also, getting the blood up to go round a 5* without crowds won't quite be the same I shouldn't think! :-O

sportsmansB

Visit site
Devastated as we had moved this years flights to next year and now they are no good either :-(
I got the survey as registered to the box office and they are trying to work out what they can change for the coverage I think. I do have H&C and have watched a few on it but I specifically said in the badminton survey that if they wanto to charge for online ocoverage it needs to be more comprehensive and more professional than what H&C have done this year, and with good commentators.
We've been pretty spoiled with red button for badminton past years but I guess they need to somehow increase the revenue from this in order to be able to run without a massive loss.

teapot

Visit site
Good news for the eventers that they can afford to, I did wonder whether no spectators would make it impossible.

No spectators means not spending thousands on infrastructure. Seating, tracks, car park attendents, portaloos all add up. Course is already built so they've saved there too.

Re watching it, there's a survey re online provision as looks like it'll be a paid for service.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yes I know but it's still not a small undertaking, I've been enough times to be aware of the infrastructure but wasn't sure how much of it they owned rather than hired anyway. I did forgot they could use last years course albeit it a lot of it goes away and comes out again.

I'm only paying of pammy and carl commentate the dressage ;)

MuddyMonster

Visit site
No spectators means not spending thousands on infrastructure. Seating, tracks, car park attendents, portaloos all add up. Course is already built so they've saved there too.

Re watching it, there's a survey re online provision as looks like it'll be a paid for service.

Yes, but no spectators also means no trade stand revenue which I imagine they earn a fair bit from? Either way, I'm glad they can afford to run it and once the disappointment of a a much anticipated trip is over, I'm sure I'll happily pay to watch it at home.

I have told my OH he needs to watch it with me as it wont be the same without a random person in the crowd commenting how they'd ride it instead of the professional's :D

palo1

Visit site
Although, I'm really pleased it's going to be running (and I assume televised) albeit behind closed doors.

From a personal POV, I'm a bit gutted as I've always gone for a girls day. After a rubbish year, I was really hoping we might make Badminton 2021. It seems not :(

Same here :( It's great that it will run but I soooooooo hope that things change and spectators will be able to attend too.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It must have been the day for it Brighton marathon that had postponed (well moved entries) from april 2020 to april 2021 has moved until september instead (obviously requiring lots of people in close proximity does make it trickier but an early decision.

TPO

Visit site
How profoundly depressing that we are planning closed events 6 months in the future :(

I'm pleased for the owners and riders, though.

Yeah, this news has made me really sad.

I'm glad it's running and I've only been once with no plans to return so it doesnt affect me directly in any way but it just feels like another nail in the coffin of normality.

teapot

Visit site
How profoundly depressing that we are planning closed events 6 months in the future :(

I'm pleased for the owners and riders, though.

Far far far easier to plan an event to run behind closed doors, and to then open up bookings next April, then to sell tickets (box office usually opens in January remember), and suddenly have to cancel/refund them all the last week of April. It's good event planning and management imho. Crap, but good.

EventingMum

Visit site
I'm glad it's going ahead but it does bring home the severity of the situation we're in when something this far ahead is to be behind closed doors which is a very sobering thought. Having got my head around 2020 being written off I had been, perhaps optimistically, been hoping 2021 would bring some normality to life.

teapot

Visit site
I'm glad it's going ahead but it does bring home the severity of the situation we're in when something this far ahead is to be behind closed doors which is a very sobering thought. Having got my head around 2020 being written off I had been, perhaps optimistically, been hoping 2021 would bring some normality to life.

In terms of Badminton and tickets, it's not that far ahead - box office usually opens in January I think, Feb at the very latest. It's November on Sunday...

Wimbledon are also considering it and that's July!

EventingMum

Visit site
In terms of Badminton and tickets, it's not that far ahead - box office usually opens in January I think, Feb at the very latest. It's November on Sunday...

Wimbledon are also considering it and that's July!
You're right, it just seems like a long way ahead in spring when we're just adjusting to dark wintery nights.

Reactions: TPO

Lexi_

Visit site
Far far far easier to plan an event to run behind closed doors, and to then open up bookings next April, then to sell tickets (box office usually opens in January remember), and suddenly have to cancel/refund them all the last week of April. It's good event planning and management imho. Crap, but good.

Yup, this!

Even if spectators are allowed at outdoor events by that point, you’ve got to assume it’ll be vastly reduced numbers. I think Pau had 5,000? I wonder if there’s a tipping point in terms of income from tickets vs the expenditure on things like portaloos, staffing the entry points, running a Box Office etc.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I must admit, although such a shame that it looks like it will be behind closed doors next year, I really appreciate them announcing their plans now rather than leaving it until the last minute.

I have completed the questionnaire today, and personally would be happy to pay a decent price for comprehensive online coverage.

You never know, maybe, perhaps maybe, things will improve and some spectators allowed to attend.....

Trouper

Visit site
One day - soon I hope - we are going to have to wake up and realise that we just have to get out there and live with this virus and not wreck every other aspect of our lives - particularly young people's. Over 70, I am happy to take responsibility for my own protection and I don't want the world to stop on my account so I would quite like the Government to stop hovering like an over-anxious parent at Pony Club.
Let's hope they review this decision next year.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have completed the questionnaire today, and personally would be happy to pay a decent price for comprehensive online coverage.
I did the questionnaire, too. I selected (IIRC £16 to £20) as the price I’d be happy to pay for full coverage.

It’d still be a lot cheaper than our usual real life visit on the Thursday, what with 2 nights off site campsite fees, travel etc. Wonders if I should have upped my limit...

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Devastated as we had moved this years flights to next year and now they are no good either :-(
I got the survey as registered to the box office and they are trying to work out what they can change for the coverage I think. I do have H&C and have watched a few on it but I specifically said in the badminton survey that if they wanto to charge for online ocoverage it needs to be more comprehensive and more professional than what H&C have done this year, and with good commentators.
We've been pretty spoiled with red button for badminton past years but I guess they need to somehow increase the revenue from this in order to be able to run without a massive loss.
I said pretty much the same - not H&C.

Snowfilly

Visit site
I see the Royal Norfolk Show has already cancelled for next year, and a few other county shows are making noises now. I very much doubt we’ll get a full lot of shows and events in 2021.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
The Royal Berkshire Show cancelled a couple of months ago for Sep 2021. Such a sad loss, and the showground is now considering its future. That said, not just because of the current situation, but Covid is potentially the nail in the coffin. :(

ihatework

Visit site
Please god not H&C, the only times I’ve paid specifically to watch an event H&C covers and the steaming has always been interrupted with technical issues.

That said, they did make one good call at Pau and that was hiring Thomas Carlisle to commentate - what a super man.