Badminton XC coverage is not live via the BBC red button this year

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Just read on Facebook that there is 12 hours of badminton coverage on the red button on Monday. Just had a look and there it is ? that was kept very quiet ? no good if your working and can’t record it but looks like it’s all on there for anyone that can watch or record
Thank you! Is red button recordable usually?

teapot

Visit site
Just read on Facebook that there is 12 hours of badminton coverage on the red button on Monday. Just had a look and there it is ? that was kept very quiet ? no good if your working and can’t record it but looks like it’s all on there for anyone that can watch or record

Thank you! Is red button recordable usually?

If you look closely you'll see it's just a repeat of what's on BBC2 tomorrow.

teapot

Visit site
It's a bit more than that, starts at 06.50 on Monday and runs all morning, resumes at 12.50 till around 6pm. Could be the same 5+ hours repeated, but def more than the short programme tomorrow.

It's 2hrs 14mins in length - pretty much what they're showing tomorrow! https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001776j

Red Button could well just have empty slots or other stuff scheduled between.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It's 2hrs 14mins in length - pretty much what they're showing tomorrow! https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001776j

Red Button could well just have empty slots or other stuff scheduled between.
How odd, just looks like a long programme twice over on my planner, but I'm sure you are right, the BBC wouldnt be adding stuff, boo!

maisie06

Visit site
Unfortunately this year there will be no live coverage of the XC at Badminton on the BBC red button as there has been in previous years :(.

There will the usual highlights program on the beeb on the Sunday which will include live coverage of the top 10 to SJ.

For those, like me, who will not be able to cope without my live Badminton fix, there is a subscription service, which is £14.99 if you buy before April 1st, then £19.99 after that. You do get access for a year included.

https://www.badminton-horse.co.uk/b...2HH-_fBweURXaCizx5B_WhV5ulxUHJ6xV6WY3PFcIHzIE

Another good reason to have given up my TV licence the BBC really is rubbish these days.

Reactions: TPO

Parrotperson

Visit site
Another good reason to have given up my TV licence the BBC really is rubbish these days.

Nothing to do with the BBC. Badminton horse trials made the decision to charge us all for live coverage as a money making scheme. More fool them. I think it’s probably back fired on them

For a start it wasn’t very good coverage. We didn’t see every fence just some (yes I know we wouldn’t have been able to see a rider at every fence) and the streaming was anything but flawless.

If I’m going to pay for something it’d better be damn good quality and this just wasn’t.

Plus the coverage it would’ve gotten on the BBC would’ve been better.

teapot

Visit site
Nothing to do with the BBC. Badminton horse trials made the decision to charge us all for live coverage as a money making scheme. More fool them. I think it’s probably back fired on them

For a start it wasn’t very good coverage. We didn’t see every fence just some (yes I know we wouldn’t have been able to see a rider at every fence) and the streaming was anything but flawless.

If I’m going to pay for something it’d better be damn good quality and this just wasn’t.

Plus the coverage it would’ve gotten on the BBC would’ve been better.

Incorrect. Taken from Badminton's website:

'Badminton Horse Trials is solely responsible & pays for the production of the programme, which in turn the BBC contribute towards. The production for Badminton TV Livestream is the same as it has been for the BBC Red Button; over the past two years, we have been working very closely with the BBC to ensure we continue to broadcast Badminton coverage on terrestrial TV as we understand the importance of this to both our viewers and sponsors alike. The sad reality is that the gap between rising broadcast production costs (paid for by Badminton Horse Trials) and the reducing contribution paid by the BBC to cover these costs has become so vast, that if we do not now put the live coverage (apart from top 10 show jumping) behind a pay wall it would also make broadcasting anything on the BBC unviable.'

The same company who provide the BBC coverage did today's. It was as good as the red button, you never see every fence on tv coverage (that would make it even more expensive), streaming was perfect bar one five minute blip, and commentary was fab!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Little bit disappointed that the XC still isn't up, actually. I accept it's a long program and the bits I did watch live were great. But they must be aware their main audience is horsey people- most of whom will need to go out at some point on a Saturday afternoon and sort out their own horses?

I'd hoped to finish watching the XC before the showjumping starts but this now seems unlikely.

Parrotperson

Visit site
Incorrect. Taken from Badminton's website:

'Badminton Horse Trials is solely responsible & pays for the production of the programme, which in turn the BBC contribute towards. The production for Badminton TV Livestream is the same as it has been for the BBC Red Button; over the past two years, we have been working very closely with the BBC to ensure we continue to broadcast Badminton coverage on terrestrial TV as we understand the importance of this to both our viewers and sponsors alike. The sad reality is that the gap between rising broadcast production costs (paid for by Badminton Horse Trials) and the reducing contribution paid by the BBC to cover these costs has become so vast, that if we do not now put the live coverage (apart from top 10 show jumping) behind a pay wall it would also make broadcasting anything on the BBC unviable.'

The same company who provide the BBC coverage did today's. It was as good as the red button, you never see every fence on tv coverage (that would make it even more expensive), streaming was perfect bar one five minute blip, and commentary was fab!

well you had a better time than me! The commentary was ok yes (apart from a very over excited Piggy French!) but it buffered and stalled and made it impossible to watch a good 10 competitors. and the thing is. We paid. Extra. So it has to be seamless.

yes it may be the same company that does the BBC coverage but they clearly say they had too put it behind paywall to make more money

And if you're going down that route then yes I expect very fence covered and yes I expect absolutely NO cockups on the streaming.

If you paid per view for a boxing match or a footie game then you'd expect it to be perfect.

They can't have their cake and eat it. They've entered the hard commercial on line streaming sports events arena and frankly they weren't good enough.

teapot

Visit site
well you had a better time than me! The commentary was ok yes (apart from a very over excited Piggy French!) but it buffered and stalled and made it impossible to watch a good 10 competitors. and the thing is. We paid. Extra. So it has to be seamless.

yes it may be the same company that does the BBC coverage but they clearly say they had too put it behind paywall to make more money

And if you're going down that route then yes I expect very fence covered and yes I expect absolutely NO cockups on the streaming.

If you paid per view for a boxing match or a footie game then you'd expect it to be perfect.

They can't have their cake and eat it. They've entered the hard commercial on line streaming sports events arena and frankly they weren't good enough.

How do you expect them to fund it without a paywall? Putting on a 5* event is not cheap nor is it a charity. Also it's bloody easy to film a football match for 90 minutes. It is not easy to film a four mile long course with what 40 odd jumping efforts? What about fences literally obscured by trees? How do you show four people on course at the same time, do you want split screen as well?

Do you have any idea of the number of people it takes to produce xc coverage?! I met someone from Clip my Horse who had been out at the Euros last year. They had close to 100 people out on course for a six minute/25 fence course, plus the production team plus people back at home sorting the streaming.

The sense of entitlement I've seen over the last couple of days about what is a niche sport let's be honest, gives the equestrian community a bad name.

Last edited:

Bobthecob15

Visit site
We went yesterday, it was absolutely incredible! Now watching back on Badminton TV the bits we didn't see, for ms totally worth my £20! Plus we had it on our phones yesterday while we were waiting to see who was coming next to the jumps we were sat at. Can't wait to watch the SJ later on it x

fetlock

Visit site
Provisional Dates Badminton Horse Trials 2023 – Wednesday 3rd – Sunday 7th May

If anyone took a subscription out only once the event started this year, unless the provisional dates change, will, I think, get access to next year's Badminton livestream too. I subscribed just before bed on Friday night so sadly this year's subs won't cover next year's XC day, but should do for anyone who only subscribed yesterday.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I took out the subscription when it was on offer and I think it was £14.99, I’ve watched most of the dressage , all of the c/c apart from about 15 mins when there was a blip and most of the sj. I have really enjoyed it and will subscribe again next year as I thought the coverage was good. It would have cost more to go just for one day..

Surbie

Visit site
I took out the subscription when it was on offer and I think it was £14.99, I’ve watched most of the dressage , all of the c/c apart from about 15 mins when there was a blip and most of the sj. I have really enjoyed it and will subscribe again next year as I thought the coverage was good. It would have cost more to go just for one day..

Couldn't agree more. I've had a couple of friends round to watch it together and it's been a lovely, sociable way to watch - with easy access to nice food and a decent loo (I am old and these things are important!). I will probably go back and re-watch some of it, particularly the dressage which I really enjoyed and was inspired by. It's been really good value.