Badminton XC coverage is not live via the BBC red button this year

MagicMelon

Visit site
If someone shared their log in for this badminton TV, we could all give them a discounted rate and that person could probably make a small fortune ;) I find £20 too expensive personally to watch one event. I already subscribe to ClipMyHorse which IMO is pricey...

MagicMelon

Visit site
A friend does. Doesn’t watch any live tv.

You can cancel your licence if you no longer:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.

I dont understand that, why on earth do they feel they should benefit if a person streams something like Amazon Prime? How does that have anything to do with a TV license? I cant actually believe we are still being forced to pay this ridiculous fee.

Reactions: TPO

teapot

Visit site
If someone shared their log in for this badminton TV, we could all give them a discounted rate and that person could probably make a small fortune ;) I find £20 too expensive personally to watch one event. I already subscribe to ClipMyHorse which IMO is pricey...

I had a job interview with CMH late last year and it was eye opening to hear about the costs of production/staffing that are involved. The subs are fairly reflective of what it takes to produce decent coverage.

They don't have the Badminton contract but cover the widest amount of comps across the board once the seasons get going, including the vast majority of FEI dressage and show jumping. Eventing costs a LOT more to cover.

Last edited:

windswoo

Visit site
I take your point but all the while I am a captive to their obligatory licence fee I do expect better representation of all/more sports - on the basis of inclusivity alone.
That's my point. I'm actually a big football fan as well, but only in supporting my team - not interested in international football or as said before not really interested in women's football either.
Considering how much horse sport used to be on the tv in the 80's I think it's a shame that the BBC seem ashamed of it and I'm already sick of football fans saying we're going to win the world cup - no we won't, but in sports that we have been pretty successful in the last few years - nothing, especially the eventing.
There must be some money in horse sport somewhere as the Saudi's invest a lot of money in horse sport.

millitiger

Visit site
I have paid for BadmintonTV.

I think it's great value for the coverage offered, cheaper compared to going in person and I've already been rewatching 2018 with the subscription which is great.

teapot

Visit site

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Not related to watching online, but I’m assuming getting in for free after 4pm is no longer a thing?

I live local.. so it use to be great to finish work, and go do some shopping for a couple of hours without paying to get in :-(

Squeak

Visit site
I'm really looking forward to it too. I need to get an HDMI to scat converter cable and then hopefully I should be in business.

Watching Kentucky this weekend was wonderful and the 5*s were so so missed during covid.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Not related to watching online, but I’m assuming getting in for free after 4pm is no longer a thing?

I live local.. so it use to be great to finish work, and go do some shopping for a couple of hours without paying to get in :-(

someone emailed them last week about this and they said yes same as normal

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Does anyone know if Badminton TV is showing the BE100 Grassroots championship tomorrow?

I imagine Badminton will be able to show the income from this years subscription to sell the rights for next year, by demonstrating the demand for it.

Lexi_

Visit site
I was mooching on their website yesterday and I’m pretty sure it said the grassroots and young event horse classes weren’t included.

sakura

Visit site
Why would they invest in it? There's no money in it, there's billions in football. There's no interest in it from those who aren't already horse owners, it's a completely inaccessible sport to the masses due to the cost of lessons and the huge cost of actually owning unless you are already well off and have land, so it will never get the engagement that football would get where you can go to the local club and pay £5 per session. Not to mention the bad PR from many people about using animals in sport in the first place. TV is business, horses don't have profit anywhere near them unless it's racing.

Sometimes you have to look at things objectively before you get angry about them, and you are thinking about this from the POV of being a horse owner.

This!

Horse sports are some of the least accessible to the general public. Apart from men and women competing against each other, there is virtually zero representation in it across most of society. Add to that how the idea of using animals in sports is becoming increasingly controversial - it's just not attractive for channels to pay for.

Escapade

Visit site
I’d happily pay a slightly lower price for an event only or live only weekend pass. Don’t want to watch old replays and don’t want a year-long subscription so haven’t yet managed to justify almost €26 over free highlights on telly

Spotherisk

Visit site
I’d happily pay a slightly lower price for an event only or live only weekend pass. Don’t want to watch old replays and don’t want a year-long subscription so haven’t yet managed to justify almost €26 over free highlights on telly

I’d quite enjoy long format, 1980’s and earlier, but I watch so little tv it’s not really relevant.

VRIN

Visit site
I subscribed and have already had my money's worth by watching highlights from previous years - its amazing to see how things have changed over the years. Think its great value.

VRIN

Visit site
There is a public footpath running through Badminton which I don't think they are allowed to close so maybe worth going for a walk!