Bag of bones wind sucking tb

Equi

Visit site
I think it's pretty well recognised that cribbing releases hormones that calm the horse or make it feel good. So in that respect, apart from wondering why they ever start, there's not much more reason to think that a horse in good management is any more unhappy than an addicted smoker/vaper. I've seen a foal with a mother that did it start at a couple of months old. Learned or hereditary?? I'm open to both suggestions.

Id say learned. My foal gets up from a nap and stretches the exact same way mum does. Only horse i have ever seen do this, and its too much coincidence that her foal also does it. Thankfully shes not picked up her smiling! Mum will smile at everything (aka impatient, doesnt want to do what asked, being annoyed)

Doormouse

Visit site
The learnt / hereditary thing is very interesting. I had a Bogof foal who went still on her mother to live in a herd. The boss of the herd wind sucked all the time, he was old, it was clearly a long standing habit and he was a bit like a chain smoker!

The foal has never, ever shown any inclination to wind suck but is a nightmare for chewing wood. Her mother never did either.

The foal is now a 5 year old.