bailer twine reminder

miss_bird

Visit site
I would just like to remind everyone about remembering to fray bailer twine when using it as a tie up point for horses.
The other day i put new bailer twine onto my field gate, (no where else to tie upto) and for some reason did not fray it as i usually would. The end result to this was my horse panicked whilst tied up and the bailer twine did not snap so she ended up pulling the 5 bar gate off its hinges and galloping aroung the field with it banging aroung her legs.
Luckily i was able to finally catch her, but in this time she had seriously cut up all four legs. I was very lucky that the worse cut was only down to the tendons and not all the way to the bone.
So dont end up in my position thinking why did i not fray the bailer twine a bit. JUST ALWAYS REMEMBER TO DO IT.
Sorry for going on but if it stops it happening to one other person it helps.

polaris

Visit site
A good reminder! We nearly lost a horse to the same thing...She removed all of her skin and muscle down to the bone on both knees, took her back out removed a lot of hock...8 months box rest a lot of money and rebreaking later she was o.k but knees inherantly weak.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Crikes had to stop my friend tying her horse to the fence the other day. Said she did it to stop him pulling away, advised her that it wouldn't stop him, he would just pull until something gave/broke away. ARHHHHHHHHH Had visions of him galloping round yard with lump of fence hanging from his headcollar (nylon so that wouldn't have given).

RunToEarth

Visit site
On a livery yard near me someone tied their horse directly to the metal tie rings which I tie baler twine to. The horsepaniced, pulled back, nothing gave and the horse ended up on its back, 3 monthes of physio later and he still isnt in ridden work...

Peanot

Visit site
SH1T!!!
Sorry to hear about that awful incident. I hope she has a full recovery. My horse sometimes pulls back and I have to watch her like a hawk and I never go out of sight when she is tied up but I see other people at our yard and at shows tying up their horses and leaving them unattended. The horses just tend to stand there, some of them tacked up!
One girl on our yard had her horse tied up and was just putting a rug on when the wind caught it and it frightened the young horse and it broke free and took off up the yard, but she had done up the front buckles and so it didn`t come off but flapped around her legs and it bought her down onto her knees and she cut up her legs and her nose as she hit the floor. But this doesn`t stop other owners tying up and leaving them! Sometimes tacked up for half hour or more when they go and muck out the other horse on the other block.
I know that we have to tie our horses sometimes while we change rugs and muck out etc, and that is fine for horses that stand still but you have made a good point, as I have known people tie their horses up to just a tie ring with no rope!!!
I also feel for your horse too which pulled the gate off, what a frightening time for you. It doesn`t bear thinking about.

Enfys

Visit site
The same thing happened to a horse at a local show, pulled back from the lorry where it was tied, ripped a metal panel off and ran around the parking area with the equivalent of a razor tied to her head. She had to be put down there and then.

I tied a youngster to a trailer, same thing, string didn't break and he pulled a double LAMBOURN (not a lightweight trailer to say the least) across the yard. Stupid thing to do, me, not him.

miss_bird

Visit site
Wow, i thought i was just really stupid after it happened, but it goes to show how easily it can happen.
I have been telling all my horse friends and had most of them over to look at the state of my poor horse's legs, (extra pair of hands when changing her bangages) hopefully it will stick in their mind whenever they go to tie up their horse.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Thank goodness the injuries weren't worse.
Some of my old DIY liveries used to tie to anything if all the tie rings were full, the best of all however was a stunning woman who looked gorgeous but was utterly thick. One day the painter was up his ladder in front of the tie ring so she tied through the ladder to the ring...with him up the ladder. We came out and talked very quietly and calmly to persuade her to untie her horse quick.. Another time she tied to the door handle of a sliding door that was ten feet high and eight feet wide on a runner. Luckily we untied it before it killed itself when the door came off the runners.
I never tie to a gate no matter what the circumstances. Use a piece of string round the gatepost, at least you then have little chance of it breaking that! The one occasion I did use a gate was to wrap the leadrope round it whilst me and the vet tried to inject Monty's dam..(a 16.3hh heavyweight). She pulled back, me and the vet hung on to the rope and the gate came with her with us inbetween.. Never again!
I'm glad your horse isn't too bad, why not attempt to get some old type baler twine or garden twine, both of which do break. We also use elastic tie ups, for some reason horses pull back much less on them.

polaris

Visit site
I hope your horse gets well soon. Ours was horrific...35ft of post a rail fencing plus two metal spikes where pulled out and she was still tied to the bailing twine....It did not break. I was stood by her the whole time trying desperately to get to the quick release knot (calvalry knot) and with her legs flashing (she was on her back at one point) it was impossible. I went into deep deep shock and have never ever used un thinned bailing twine since. The vet had the humane destroyer ready....I never ever want anybody to go through that!!!! A big hug for you and your horse Laniep!

bertiewooster

Visit site
That's a very scary story, laniep, I hope you and your horse recover soon.
Milly is big on running back when spooked, so I use a velcro quick release strap that I got from Robinsons for £1.75. I was a bit worried that once she had twigged that she could get away (it will give to pressure), she would do it more, but actually, she does it less. Perhaps because I am more relaxed around her. Obviously, I always keep all the gates closed so she can't go anywhere if she gets free.

miss_bird

Visit site
Thank you all so much, you are just the kindest. My horse is recovering well, it happened on Tuesday and surprisingly the cuts are healing really well and she has not gone lame.
She is getting so spoilt at the moment thought i hope she does not think the initial pain was worth it for all the attention she is getting. ha ha only joking.
Thanks again, this has to be the best forum