baileys low cal balancer

Misty 2020

Visit site
I was thinking of starting my horse on it since my mare has gained weight from being out of work for a few weeks. A few people have suggested that I should change to baileys low cal balancer . When i first weight tape her she had 40 kg to lose . She has had lost 15 kg so far since coming into work two weeks ago. I was thinking of picking up a bag of it over the weekend. What you’re experienced with baileys low cal balancer ? Would you recommend this feed and what your opinion on this?

HeyMich

Visit site
Why does your horse need a hard feed? Mine have next to nothing all through the summer, except grass and the occasional slice of hay.

If your horse absolutely must have a feed, then yes, I'd find something that's low sugar (no molasses!), low calorie, high in fibre etc. Bailey's low cal does have alfa iirc, and some horses can tolerate it better than others.

Misty 2020

Visit site
Why does your horse need a hard feed? Mine have next to nothing all through the summer, except grass and the occasional slice of hay.

If your horse absolutely must have a feed, then yes, I'd find something that's low sugar (no molasses!), low calorie, high in fibre etc. Bailey's low cal does have alfa iirc, and some horses can tolerate it better than others.
I would love if she wasn’t on hard feed but she is on medication and she won’t eat her medication without the hard feed.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You could swap it for the performance balancer but if your trying to cut her weight down its not going be a huge difference, I would just buy a powdered multi vitamin supplement and add that to the chaff, I would maybe soak the haylage as well and cut back on grazing and up exercise.

Nicnac

Visit site
It made mine fatter! Can't you just give her moistened sugar free chaff like Top Chop Zero for meds?