Bailing out

Wobblywibble

Visit site
The thread about the kids on bolting ponies got me thinking about bailing out.

Is this something you were taught? I've been around horses for a very long time and have always been taught/taught others to hang on for grim death. I was bolted with, bareback at age 10 and screamed my head off but did manage to stop. Lesson learned it was not a good tactic and that being a mere passenger was not a good idea.

From then the army taught me to ride, on ponies that grown men struggled to control but bailing was never an option. (nor screaming for that matter) You stayed on and learnt to stop the little buggers and to recognise the signs that you were gonna be carted and did something about it before it happened.

I know that sometimes thing happen quickly and have potentially dangerous consequences but surely you are safer on top?

blood_magik

Visit site
taught to hold on until you came off.
I've only been properly bolted with once and I fell off in the carpark :rolleyes:
to be honest, I have no idea how I managed to stay on that long with no stirrups and no reins

MissTyc

Visit site
I hang on for grim life or death ...
When my bolting mare went in front of a bus however, I wish I'd bailed out. I could see what was about to happen and I froze and held on tight. I wish I'd had the presence of mind to throw myself off (to this day will never know why she bolted - had for 6 years and never before and never again!). The bus managed to jack knife - it was the single most terrifying thing and I still can't believe we walked away. SO, I hang on!!!! But perhaps sometimes, it's best to cut losses (i.e. my LIFE)

Shantara

Visit site
Depends, if I'm hanging on, around it's neck, or side, I'd probably bail if I thought I would be safer. If I'm still on top and just a 'passenger' I'd try and stay on. Horses do silly things when they're scared, but once the blind panic is over, I think most do start thinking again.

Don't know, never been in that position before! I think it'd be different if it actually happened to me.

Actually, that said, I was once on a huge mare, she'd spooked in canter, but not galloped off. We were going pretty quick and I was hanging on the side. I managed to pull myself back up and I think that saved a nasty situation.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Stay on unless you're going over a cliff, that's what I was always taught ;)

Or the horse is coming down on top of you, in which case, you probably don't have much choice in the matter anyway...

Janah

Visit site
Have only been bolted with once. Horrible experience. Worst thing is not being in control and knowing horse is not control either!

Have had horses running away and nothing to do with bolting, different experience entirely.

indie999

Visit site
Always told to stay on unless about to jump off a cliff. Just like everyone else lost stirrups and reins (still in hands but all I can see is no head or neck but the ground and my butt about 1 metre out the saddle) Flying lesson but still on!

The only other time terrified me was on side mountain, we took off upwards(so ok its up hill) but knew minor road was coming up and trying to turn standing up in my stirrups full gallop flat out with all weight pulling on one rein to try to turn him and try to stop in corner of field. We went up a bank one inch before the road and turned back into the field. All I had a vision of was having a collision with the bonnet of a car!! I didnt think he was going to bloody turn!

Oh this is the nice friendly 99.5% non moving safe as houses plod that I am fondly nursing with rose tinted etc in his retirement!

Katd66

Visit site
In 18 years of riding I have always held on tight - but last year I made the decision to bail off a broncing horse. I still feel I make the right decision - I dont think there was anyway it would have settled - i dont think I had any other option. I came away with a broken leg and ankle but feel it could have been a whole lot worse.

indie999

Visit site
In 18 years of riding I have always held on tight - but last year I made the decision to bail off a broncing horse. I still feel I make the right decision - I dont think there was anyway it would have settled - i dont think I had any other option. I came away with a broken leg and ankle but feel it could have been a whole lot worse.

oh ouch..I wish I had been taught to roll away like the professional jockeys do?? Easy to give advice but not so easy when its you....ouch!

midi

Visit site
never experianced a blind bolt, thank god and hope I never do, but I don't think I would consider getting off at that speed unless it was a last resort and I would be in a very dangerous situation if I stayed on.

When I was younger I was riding a tiny pony on a hack and I lost my balance at canter, I decided It would be easier to fall off than to stay on for some idiotic reason and winded myself pretty badly - didn't realise that it would hurt at all! So I would try and avoid repeating that ha.

I have gotten off though when the horse has started bucking quite violently ( I think she was stung by a wasp)

Jaii

Visit site
A few years ago (I was about 10) I read on the internet that it is a good idea to bail out if a horse bolts with you. A couple days later a horse I was rtiding decides to gallop over to their friends across the field with me on it. Of course I decided that they were bolting and threw myself off. I managed to break my arm and my mother wouldn't let me ride for 9 months.

I learned my lesson about trusting things you read on the internet and have since decided to cling on to any horse which I lose control of.

ClassicG&T

Visit site
I'll stay on no matter what, i once did a xc jump up a bank, jump ontop of back then down bank. Pony bucked beofre doing jump so i was thrown onto his neck, jumped the jump on his neck then proceeded down the steep bank and flat out gallop, still on his neck! No idea how i stayed on as i couldnt even see where i was going!

But anyway, i will never ever bail! I would rather die in style...

Mike007

Visit site
I was taught that bailing out was definately an option, and that there wasnt a horse in the yard that was worth a mans life(and considering that the most expensive yearling ever sold in England,at that time, was one of the horses in the yard). I have baled out several times in varying circumstances and have never regretted it.

Katd66

Visit site
In extreme dangerous circumstances - you have to bail - I cant believe people are saying they would stay on no matter what.

But I guess until you have been in that situation you think that staying put is what you will do.

Archangel

Visit site
There have been plenty of times when I have wanted to bail out but just can't do it.

The oddest experience was cantering along and the girth broke. I was sitting the saddle and just going going gone :cool: Horse was watching me out of the corner of his eye as I gradually went off the side (probably thinking "what is the dozy old bat up to now" :eek:)

Hells Bells

Visit site
I didnt even know bail was an option until i read the thread about the girls etc!! Ive luckily to this point in time never really experienced a blind panic bolt, so i couldnt ever say how i would react in the circumstances.

The minor bolts (more out of naughtiness than anything) that i have experienced, i have just sat tight, but as i say i cant comment as never had that kind of experience!!

JFTDWS

Visit site
oh ouch..I wish I had been taught to roll away like the professional jockeys do?? Easy to give advice but not so easy when its you....ouch!

When I was about 15, I decided it would be fun to play at a bit of stunt riding - so I spent a couple of months in the summer throwing myself off my pony from a canter in the school :D Very useful experience but not one I'd repeat now :eek:

Actually, I lie, I've thrown myself off the same pony into hay bale jump just for fun too. I have several loose screws I think...

Hells Bells

Visit site
When I was about 15, I decided it would be fun to play at a bit of stunt riding - so I spent a couple of months in the summer throwing myself off my pony from a canter in the school :D Very useful experience but not one I'd repeat now :eek:

Actually, I lie, I've thrown myself off the same pony into hay bale jump just for fun too. I have several loose screws I think...

Oh my! Bareback riding was about as adventurous as i got as a kid!

Mike007

Visit site
The way to bail out is to lean back and kick one leg over the pommel (having first lost your stirrups,and then relax and let it all happen.This reduces the chances of a neck breaking nosedive.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Oh my! Bareback riding was about as adventurous as i got as a kid!

Mother dearest used to drop me up the yard, quite often by midday everyone else would have gone home and I'd be left to my own devices :D mwahahaha There's a lot she never knew about ;)

Katd66

Visit site
The way to bail out is to lean back and kick one leg over the pommel (having first lost your stirrups,and then relax and let it all happen.This reduces the chances of a neck breaking nosedive.

I did the Frankie Dettori leap off and landed on my feet - the weight/force broke my leg and ankle.

I do not recommend this dismount when the horse is moving!

azouria

Visit site
Always hang on, especially if you don't know how to fall off properly.

I wish it was commonplace to teach people the correct way to fall off. For better or worse I always hang on because I actually find the thought of bailing out more scary (irrational thinking that it will hurt more or something!)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I did the Frankie Dettori leap off and landed on my feet - the weight/force broke my leg and ankle.

I do not recommend this dismount when the horse is moving!

Real risk of crush fractures and damage to joints.

I prefer the roll-across-shoulder approach... Or better yet, staying on :D