Bakers complete.....

L&M

Visit site
Is it really as bad as everyone says it is?!

I am waiting for a delivery of their normal dry food, so to eke out what I have left, and due to limited availabilty, ended up buying a small bag of the turkey and rice complete food.

I mixed it through with there normal kibble and both dogs went mad for it! They chucked out all their normal 'healthy' kibble, to hoover up the Bakers!!! i am just hoping that when I can put them back on their normal food they don't reject it, or sulk for days.

So thoughts on Bakers, and possible side effects it may have........:oops:?!

Thanks

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Yes, I go mad for chips and orange Smarties, doesn't mean it is good for me ;)

Have they been to the loo yet??

I'm sure it won't do them any harm in a tight spot. I ran out, next delivery Saturday, have been using Harringtons lamb and rice (as opposed to JWB), loads more poo, much larger than normal and much paler, but it is solid/dry, at least!!!

L&M

Visit site
Ha ha! Thanks both - will be interesting to see if/how it affects them. The terrier is hyper enough as it is without a whole load of e numbers......

SamBean

Visit site
Mine acted the same as yours did - I bought a sack of working dog mix a few years ago and it turned out to be Bakers in a plain sack. normally placid and you can go near him whatever the circumstances he growled if I walked past and he was eating!

meleeka

Visit site
I think we’ve all got so hung up on healthy eating that it’s been made out to be Worse than it probably is. I wouldn’t want to feed it long term mind. Before I knew better I fed it. I changed because one of my dogs developed an allergy to something In it. I noticed almost immediately a calmer dog who was less nervous of the world. I think likening it to the old Smarties with all the E numbers is pretty spot on.

This thread has reminded me about the horse next door. It’s fed the cheapest course mix you can buy, hay sporadically (goes days without) and yet it looks ok. I often wonder why I spend so much on feed and hay!

WandaMare

Visit site
I think these foods are ok for them when they are young, they seem to be able to digest anything, its as they get older they can start to get problems.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Used to, might still, probably does contain BHT/BHA, an EU permitted preservative, banned in many countries. There are some interesting scary studies on that. Also contains ethylene glycol (you’d need to ensure this is still true, was last time I checked):

Ethylene glycol (IUPAC name: ethane-1,2-diol) is an organic compound with the formula (CH2OH)2. It is mainly used for two purposes, as a raw material in the manufacture of polyester fibers and for antifreeze formulations. It is an odorless, colorless, sweet-tasting, viscous liquid.

conniegirl

Visit site
Awful stuff, my beagle has a stomach of iron but bakers left him peeing and pooing in the house which he never does. Also made him very odourus!
he was only on it for 2 days as we had gone on holiday and forgotten his food so bought what we could from local shop. It took weeks for his stomach to settle afterwards

Karran

Visit site
Bakers was one of the things I tried when desperately trying to put weight on Mrs Spaniel. It failed to do that but omg did it send her loopy!!!
She was practically vaulting off the furniture and swinging from the lampshade on it. I couldn't do anything to get her to concentrate on even basic heelwork. It was like living with a toddler fed on red bull and haribo ?

fankino04

Visit site
We got our girl when she was 6, the people we rehomed her from gave us and the previous people who enquired about her a big list of her behavioural problems, when we got her she just moved straight onto Skinner's as that's what we fed the others and never saw any of the aforementioned problems so I assumed that they were down to her being fed bakers. Although she was fed on it for 6 years it didn't affect her health at all x

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Have had 10 dogs over the years both pedigree & mixed breeds and have never ever had a problem when we've fed Bakers complete ?‍♀️ all the oldies we have lost have outlived their age expectations ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
it's the same but not, if that makes sense, it's only because I was sad enough to go and look ;)

Im glad someone cares enough to check, frankly. They are horribly similar, aren’t they? Used to make polymers? Dear Lord. I cannot understand why it’s used. It looks to cost more and you have to feed more than other ’better’ brands of apparently superior quality. Weird.

Equi

Visit site
Having worked in kennels I urge anyone never to feed it. People would always bring a box of it to kennels to try and look like a good owner (realistically the dogs usual food was a much cheaper brand) and it promptly went into the bin cause we were not cleaning that shit up!

L&M

Visit site
Damn it - the squits have started!!!! And I have just had notification there normal food will not be delivered until Monday...….will be a fun weekend ;)!!!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
One dog has just done more poos on the first 500m of a walk than he normally does in a day ?

ETA Spoke too soon, he has just done a fourth!!!!

planete

Visit site
If I run out I am going to cook whatever I have a lot of in the house for them. Rice, potatoes, eggs...I could not face four dogs with explosive diarrhoea!