• Other, please specify

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • Baileys

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

little_critter

Visit site
I used to use GWF Equilibra and mine looked good on it. Then last year I had an independent nutritionist out and she recommends Spillers because they are better balanced. (Apparently most balancers are low in something, canā€™t remember what now)

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I've fed mine Top Spec for years. She's pretty much always been on reduced grazing so I wanted her to be getting something. Everyone else has been put on it when they arrive and they all look great!

scats

Visit site
Oddly, Baileys lo cal balancer sends Millie really strange. She starts getting dangerously spooky and acting weirdly. Tried it twice, a year apart and both times within a few days she was acting the same way. Removed it from her diet and within a few days, sheā€™s back to normal.
Interestingly, a bit of internet searching and sheā€™s not the only one who has had this reaction.

Iā€™ve taken to just using powdered vitamins now, in a handful of light chaff.

PSD

Visit site
Feed mine blue chip native. However in winter Iā€™ll be going back to equimins powder with some chaff and pink mash if I can get him to eat it

palo1

Visit site
I have been trying to decide how really necessary it is to be honest but I'd feel alot better if I knew they were getting all of the vits etc they are supposed to have. There is an equine nutritionist (One of the very few truly genuinely qualified in nutrition) on FB who is very vocal about the fact that all horses should, at the very least, be having a vit/mineral supplement. In fairness none of these look terrible, all have decent feet etc but I feel they could look better and it would put my mind at rest that they were getting all they need.

And thanks for all of the other replies too. It's certainly given me some options to look through :)

I fed a balancer for years - particularly because of one sensitive horse; I generally used Forage Plus which is low iron. However, since moving house I haven't wanted to balance what I don't know (ie haven't had a grass analysis) and they are on nothing. All are looking splendid so I am not feeding a balancer. Maybe you really don't need one? If I do get twitchy I would go for the basic Progressive Earth one which doesn't have linseed but is generally balanced to UK deficiencies. I actually hate to think of how much money I have probably wasted on fancy bags of feed and balancer over the years but the current horses have been quite tricky and shown me that very often less is more/what you leave out is as important as what you put in.

AntiPuck

Visit site
I've been using Feedmark Slim Aid pelleted balancer, as the powdered balancer they do had to be fed in huge quantities due to the size of my horse - she doesn't really like it, though, so has to be well mixed in with something tasty

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've mentioned it a few times on here already but I use GWF's one cup. I have also fed their equilibria too but at the moment my horse is looking and doing well on the one cup so I've kept him on it.
This is what Iā€™m using. Itā€™s very cost affective especially if you go to viovet and buy 3 at a time. (Cheapest Iā€™ve found and free post over a certain amount)

ozpoz

Visit site
Ive gone back to using GWF Equilibra because I like the no soya, no alfalfa, gm free. Horse loves it, and looks very well and is as level headed as he can be. It doesnā€™t look the same as the original Equilibra which I think was the first feed balancer on the market yonks ago.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Progressive Earth Pro Balance, have been using it for years. You get just the minerals and vitamins, no fillers.

But I've used several Balancers over the years and have always been pleased with the results. Sometimes it is just availability that is the issue.

marmalade76

Visit site
I'm losing my mind slightly trying to decide on a decent but cost friendly balancer for 3 horses and a Shitland, all are good doers and all are in 0 - light work.
The problem is that I'm easily bamboozled by different brands and wondered what the most popular brand people trust is?? Or am open to suggestions?

Heygates is the best value balancer I've found, a 20kg sack for Ā£20 odd.

maisie06

Visit site
I'm losing my mind slightly trying to decide on a decent but cost friendly balancer for 3 horses and a Shitland, all are good doers and all are in 0 - light work.
The problem is that I'm easily bamboozled by different brands and wondered what the most popular brand people trust is?? Or am open to suggestions?
I used to use Heygates equibalance - decent spec fraction of the price of main brands, my natives looked great on it!

Jenko109

Visit site
Used Blue Chip on a ropey youngster and dont think it made a shred of difference. He picked up properly when the spring grass came in.

I like Metaslim for native ponies that are on restricted grazing.

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Iā€™ve just gone back to Progressive Earth after not feeding any balancer for awhile. Tried Equimins powder once and neither of mine would eat it.

These are the two that from what Iā€™ve read on here over the years are the best bang for buck and have no fillers.

My last order from Pro-Earth arrived very quickly.
Did you notice a change in energy levels? Iā€™ve a super good doer but want to give her what she needs now she is a bit older - Naf in the pink sounds perfect, although as she is a chestnut mare the last thing we need is the ā€œextra sparkā€ it mentionsā€¦just wondering if you noticed any difference? šŸ™

Jambarissa

Visit site
I am not really convinced about balancers. I've fed them and not fed them and never really seen a difference. If I identify a condition I tend to feed herbs and do usually see an improvement.

Despite not being convinced I often do go through a phase of feeding them, just in case. Bit of research and I go for one of :

Forage plus
Equimins
Equivita

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Did you notice a change in energy levels? Iā€™ve a super good doer but want to give her what she needs now she is a bit older - Naf in the pink sounds perfect, although as she is a chestnut mare the last thing we need is the ā€œextra sparkā€ it mentionsā€¦just wondering if you noticed any difference? šŸ™
I canā€™t say I noticed anything energy wise. Iā€™ve always fed for optimum safe riding so nothing that makes them more spooky or silly.

lynz88

Visit site
I've just switched from FP Hoof and Skin to trying Equilibra. I may try adding fhe Farriers Aid in addition if needed and trying to reduce ior remove altogether some other bits and bobs Ive been supplementing. Mine is a horse where a balancer makes a huge difference. I really like FP and will default back to it if I have to as it cleared up soft chalky soles and loss of pigmentation but not to the degree I would like for the cost. I could alwaya tell when he ran out and the yard staff forgot to tell me to bring more because his soles in particular would start crumbling away almost immediately. It's far far too soon to tell anything but I did notice that the little pink spots between his bumcheeks seems to have disappeared and tonight he did his fastest ever long line walk (I set my Garmin which counts speed and distance) and his slightly runny poo that for some reason he started getting recently looks more firm but he does look a bit tucked up (not sure if it's the colder weather as he will do that when it's colder).

I think like anything it's very horse specific and also I think condition specific - clay vs chalk; lots of grass/forage vs limited

ApolloStorm

Visit site
Tried a few having done a basic content analysis none of the pelleted balancers were up to much!
Ones Iā€™ve personally tried
Equimins AC - horse wasnā€™t a huge fan and needed a drizzle of molasses to eat and while he looked well enough in it I wasnā€™t 100% on it doing much

Progressive Earth - horse wouldnā€™t touch his feed with even a pinch of it in so never got to test it properly!

Science Supplements WellHorse Performance - so far the one Iā€™ve stuck with - hooves and skin and muscles look good and he is happy to eat it with out any additions. Gives me a bit of peace of mind it has added MSM and glucosamine.

HopOnTrot

Visit site
Iā€™m a subscriber to ā€œThe Laminits Siteā€ (highly recommend if you have one with it, membership is about a tenner a year and their advise and knowledge is second to none and independent) and they recommend Spillers Lite & Lean, I donā€™t want to screen shot their analysis spreadsheets as theyā€™re in their subscription group but theyā€™ve independently compared a range of balancers and thatā€™s what they use and recommend: https://www.thelaminitissite.org/diet.html