Balancer or Supplement

Crazy Friesian

www.stablepeople.co.nr
Personally I have cut my feed bills to pretty much nothing! I have 6 horses of varying ages, shapes, sizes and breeds. - Dartmoor, Friesian, Welsh, Warmblood xTB, Connemara.....

At the beginning of last year I had a very serious problem with my Connemara I had bought a few months before. He was losing weight RAPIDLY. The whole yard is on a regular worming program and all the usual health management routine stuff you would expect. He was on ad lib hay, but gradually not eating it, to he point of not eating hay at all. Different hays were tried, haylage, chaffs, etc. Advice from nutrition companies were sought, vets were involved (HUGE vet bill!!!), different feeds were tried (HUGE costs!), herbs, different pastures with natural herbs etc. Vets report was that all they could find were some bots.

I have pics taken a year apart with no difference in his body score. I was just a little more than slightly concerned to say the least... I was about to call in the vets again when someone suggested trying a supplement by Alltech - Life Force. At that point I had nothing to lose. Because he was so bad I took fresh pictures on starting the supplement. By the end of the first month I took more pictures and handed them round to friends to assess. I was finding it difficult to assess because I was desperate for improvement, and didn't want to talk myself into something that wasn't there etc. ALL of my friends noticed a difference. Not huge, but it was there (just). So the decision was made to keep on the supplement and not call the vet out...

I now have a Connemara pony that looks like a Connemara, not a hat rack. What I definitely noted for sure was his change in attitude. He was severely depressed and very quiet. He definitely perked up.
At the start of trying the supplement he was on: Equijewel, Oil Chaff, Fibrebeet, Conditioning cubes, (Tried balancer - he wouldn't eat it!) Pink Powder and probably some stuff I have forgotten.

Since then I have put all of my horses on it. It has shown improvement across a wide range of "niggles", from behavioural to general health. Even my sweet itch pony has shown a marked improvement on the supplement.

My total feed for 6 horses / ponies, in a range of different work, for a month, consists of 2 bags of Alfalfa and 1 bag of nuts (if they have their nuts balls as treats. :D)

So I guess in answer to your question, for me, an absolute resounding YES! Putting my guys on a supplement has taken the worry out of feeding for me. I know my guys are getting what they need in the quantity they need it. They all look and feel fab.

It costs me less than £5 a day for 6 horses in supplement.
The most that they have in feeds is 1 scoop of chaff (cos I'm soft... :D ) - for my Friesian.
The rest is ad-lib hay...

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I've tried various balancers - TopSpec, Pink Powder, Haylage Balancer - and still had to feed nuts/mix alongside them even in summer.

Like CF I've switched to Alltech Lifeforce, and now feed nothing alongside it but chaff. The improvement in my horse since going on the Lifeforce is immeasurable.

Hedwards

Visit site
Personally I have cut my feed bills to pretty much nothing! I have 6 horses of varying ages, shapes, sizes and breeds. - Dartmoor, Friesian, Welsh, Warmblood xTB, Connemara.....

At the beginning of last year I had a very serious problem with my Connemara I had bought a few months before. He was losing weight RAPIDLY. The whole yard is on a regular worming program and all the usual health management routine stuff you would expect. He was on ad lib hay, but gradually not eating it, to he point of not eating hay at all. Different hays were tried, haylage, chaffs, etc. Advice from nutrition companies were sought, vets were involved (HUGE vet bill!!!), different feeds were tried (HUGE costs!), herbs, different pastures with natural herbs etc. Vets report was that all they could find were some bots.

I have pics taken a year apart with no difference in his body score. I was just a little more than slightly concerned to say the least... I was about to call in the vets again when someone suggested trying a supplement by Alltech - Life Force. At that point I had nothing to lose. Because he was so bad I took fresh pictures on starting the supplement. By the end of the first month I took more pictures and handed them round to friends to assess. I was finding it difficult to assess because I was desperate for improvement, and didn't want to talk myself into something that wasn't there etc. ALL of my friends noticed a difference. Not huge, but it was there (just). So the decision was made to keep on the supplement and not call the vet out...

I now have a Connemara pony that looks like a Connemara, not a hat rack. What I definitely noted for sure was his change in attitude. He was severely depressed and very quiet. He definitely perked up.
At the start of trying the supplement he was on: Equijewel, Oil Chaff, Fibrebeet, Conditioning cubes, (Tried balancer - he wouldn't eat it!) Pink Powder and probably some stuff I have forgotten.

Since then I have put all of my horses on it. It has shown improvement across a wide range of "niggles", from behavioural to general health. Even my sweet itch pony has shown a marked improvement on the supplement.

My total feed for 6 horses / ponies, in a range of different work, for a month, consists of 2 bags of Alfalfa and 1 bag of nuts (if they have their nuts balls as treats. :D)

So I guess in answer to your question, for me, an absolute resounding YES! Putting my guys on a supplement has taken the worry out of feeding for me. I know my guys are getting what they need in the quantity they need it. They all look and feel fab.

It costs me less than £5 a day for 6 horses in supplement.
The most that they have in feeds is 1 scoop of chaff (cos I'm soft... :D ) - for my Friesian.
The rest is ad-lib hay...

I've tried various balancers - TopSpec, Pink Powder, Haylage Balancer - and still had to feed nuts/mix alongside them even in summer.

Like CF I've switched to Alltech Lifeforce, and now feed nothing alongside it but chaff. The improvement in my horse since going on the Lifeforce is immeasurable.

Another one to agree with CF & JB - my lad is just on 1/2 stubbs scoop Dengie Hi-Fi unmollassed and Lifeforce (as well as Boswellia - a recent addition so cant comment on any effects) if he's in a lot of work i'll add ERS pellets to his feed, and in winter he'll get 1/2 mug of micronised linseed as well - this is twice a day. He looks fantastic, and from a health/behavioural and general well being point of view i notice a marked difference in him when he doesnt get his lifeforce! (I made the massive mistake of trying an alternative supplement a month ago... never again!

Archiepoo

Visit site
these are the ingredients in life force -doesnt seem anything spectacular! Hydrolyzed yeast,
saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast cultures
zinc proteinate
copper proteinate
manganese proteinate
selenium yeast.

Moomin1

Visit site
Balancer has turned out a lot cheaper than my previous feeding regime. Her coat and general health was massively improved on the balancer too.

flintfootfilly

Visit site
Interesting to hear that Alltech Life Force contains selenium yeast.

Selenium yeast is my number one priority when choosing a balancer or vit/min supplement. My gang all had muscle problems after years on only hay/grass and a token amount of balancers containing only inorganic selenium (sodium selenite).

I have been monitoring their muscle enzyme levels (which indicate muscle damage) in regular blood tests over the last year and a half, and saw no sustained improvement when on a balancer with inorganic selenium. Whereas both times I've switched to one with organic selenium (selenium yeast), there has been a significant improvement in muscle enzymes 4 to 5 months after starting on that product.

Selenium yeast is more expensive than sodium selenite, so expect to pay more for a product with that in.

Worth looking for a product which provides around 1mg of selenium (as selenium yeast) per 500kg horse per day. For me, this has meant either Dengie Alfa A balancer or one of the Blue Chip balancers (there are some other balancers which provide a similar amount, but provide too high a level of zinc or copper for my liking).

Unless I knew my forage provided adequate selenium (forage level of selenium needs to be around 0.1mg/kg dry matter), then I'd definitely prioritise selenium yeast in a balancer.

Any idea how much selenium the Alltech product provides per day? They are the people who produce selplex (the selenium yeast product), and it is Selplex which is added to other balancers which have organic selenium in them.

Sarah

Hedwards

Visit site
Flintfootfilly - message SlinkyUnicorn on here, she'll be able to answer the questions you have. I genuinely can't say enough good stuff about lifeforce, and I don't think its particularly expensive either!

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I supplement with Progressive Earth Pro Balance + and Magnesium Oxide. Pro Balance + has made such a difference to Pete, his feet in particular. As he's on such little feed (small amount of Dengie Healthy Hooves mollasess free & Allen & Page Fast Fibre), a supplement works out much cheaper than a balancer for me personally.