Balancers

Balibee

Visit site
Hiya

Just wondered what your opinions are on the best balancers.

Wal is 17hh, as near as dammit perfect weight but he will be doing some pretty intensive schooling over the next couple of months with my friend and I don't want him to drop any weight, need him to maintain his current weight but give him the extra to give him the energy he will need and to condition. He is prone to excitabilty so need to be careful what I give him.

He is currently on HIFI Original, Spillers HIFI nuts and Allen and Page fast fibre.

Any advice on the massive range of balancers that are on the current market?

splash30

Visit site
I think balancers are like marmite you either love them or hate them! I love them, I feed them to provide the correct nutrients a horse requires when they are not being fed the correct levels of hard feed.

At the mo I feed spillers low balancer but have fed Baileys lo-cal and really like either, they do not provide conditioning but enable to horse to build the muscle and tone with the correct support.

ISHmad

Visit site
Our horses are all on Top Spec balancers and we would never change. They have a really good helpline so would be worth giving them a call. Other feed companies have helplines too so maybe speak to a few and see what you think?

painted ponies

Visit site
Balancers are designed for horses that do not require any extra calories from the feed and are fed in very low quantities. Why not just try and switch him onto a diet that is more calorie dense. before changing feed you can add some soya oil to the feed or if money isnt a problem like the previous person has said Falcon Omega Rice, EquiJewel or Build and Glow. Or you can try a conditioning pencil to replace one of your other feeds.

horselover68

Visit site
why not email these guys as they do all-in-one feeds or if you prefer you can buy the balancer separately, I've just started using one of their feeds which includes the balancer and its only 12 quid a bag as I was fed up of buying different supplements as it was quite expensive and I was prob doing more harm than good, their helpline is very good as well www.thepurefeedcompany.com/

AnnaL

Visit site
I feed my 3yo on baileys lo-cal balancer and love it.

He's a good weight, is developing muscle well and isn't fizzy off it at all.

He's a relatively good doer though, and i chose that because calories aren't my concern, nutrients are.

If your boy is going to be doing some intense work I might suggest something with a bit more energy in it.

Working horse and pony cubes or mix (depending on preference) with hi-fi and a vitamin supplement might work better for you.

friesian80

Visit site
When my horse was a yearling I fed him stud balancer, then moved onto D&H Ulminate balancer, it keeps weight on him well and I know he is getting all the nutrients he needs, its very expensive but last for ages.
I did once summer change onto Baileys lo-cal balancer as he was looking a bit too well and found it great too.
Perhaps up his fast fibre if he drops condition due to extra workload.

faith123

Visit site
I have just started feeding my tb Baileys Lo-Cal and so far so good!

She hasnt got fizzy since being on it.

I feed along with half a scoop of molichaff calmer and her supplements - her weight is good on this and its improving her coat already!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I went through a period of feeding both mine Top-Spec - liked it, but it was very expensive.

I then spoke to the Allen & Page feed help-line as was thinking of changing to their Calm & Condition. They gave me some very sound advice, and also said that if I were changing to their C&C, it was pointless giving the feed balancer as well as their feed included pretty much everything!

I do now feed NAF Haylage Balancer, and also highly rate the NAF Pink Powder as a feed balancer.

PS - my two both look & feel fantastic - my veteran is 28 & still looks & acts like a 5yo!