Bald little lump?? what is it?!?!

harrietmina

Visit site
My youngster has a little lump (around the size of a 1p piece) on his back...about two or three inches to the left of his spine, beneath where his saddle sits. He has had this for around 6 months and it doesn't bother him...but it bothers me!
I mentioned it to the vet when it first came up, and she said it should go away. It didn't.
Mentioned it again a few months later and she said it was most likely due to pressure from the saddle but it was quite well established so will probably not go away, but nothing to worry about.

Got the saddler out the following week and he said its definitely not from the saddle, as you can feel there is no pressure imbalance that would cause a lump to form...there was normal contact from the saddle where the lump was. Plus it didn't change in size with decreased riding.

So I'm a bit lost! Nobody knows what it is, I've kind of accepted that it'll always be there but its gone bald now and I'm worrying again. It doesn't bother him, he doesn't mind being saddled, there isn't a head, it hasn't changed size in a long long time. Its bald and a bit flakey looking (but the skin isn't flaking off) but thats it.
Has anyone ever had anything similar?!
I was also wondering if we'd be penalised for it when in-hand showing. No serious classes just something like handsomest gelding to get him used to the show atmosphere.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Is it a flat sarcoid? Did the vet not say what they thought it might be? I'm not sure how confident I'd be in saying it should go away if I didn't know what it was to start with.

harrietmina

Visit site
Is it a flat sarcoid? Did the vet not say what they thought it might be? I'm not sure how confident I'd be in saying it should go away if I didn't know what it was to start with.

The first time the vet saw it she didn't seem to think it was a sarcoid. She said it could be a fly bite (it was smaller then and its only gone bald in the past few weeks) but didn't seem to have any specific ideas and said as it doesn't bother him the best thing would be to leave it. It was a different vet who saw him the next time and suggested the saddle, as it was bigger then.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Can you pinch it gently and roll the skin together? Is it smooth, I.e literally just flat skin or a bit lumpy? If it's even slightly lumpy I'd personally be inclined to suspect sarcoid given that it's growing. I think there is research to support the papilloma virus which causes sarcoids being spread by fly bites.

Could be some kind of dermatitis or rain scald? Odd that it's only a very small patch though?

harrietmina

Visit site
Can you pinch it gently and roll the skin together? Is it smooth, I.e literally just flat skin or a bit lumpy? If it's even slightly lumpy I'd personally be inclined to suspect sarcoid given that it's growing. I think there is research to support the papilloma virus which causes sarcoids being spread by fly bites.

Could be some kind of dermatitis or rain scald? Odd that it's only a very small patch though?

Exactly, the flakiness made me think dermatitis but its only in one small patch plus i wash his numnahs a lot and its never been aggravated by a particular rug. plus its only recently looked like this..before that it was literally a lump under his fur, no flakiness etc!
Its smooth, raised but pretty much flat on the surface. no bumps. I will see what happens when I pinch it tomorrow!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Is it bald because its coat change time? You might find the hair grows back as his coat grows in. Mine has a similar, tiny bald, flaky spot on his side. Definitely not a sarcoid, I think something must have rubbed him and its just taking its time to grow his coat back in

harrietmina

Visit site
Is it bald because its coat change time? You might find the hair grows back as his coat grows in. Mine has a similar, tiny bald, flaky spot on his side. Definitely not a sarcoid, I think something must have rubbed him and its just taking its time to grow his coat back in

I haven't thought about that! its been about a month and he is almost through the worst of the malting...fingers crossed it is, as i can't think of any reason for it to go bald when its not being rubbed. Would a bit of zinc and caster oil/sudocrem or something help it along or should i leave it alone?

Zuzzie

Visit site
I get these on my present horse every year. I also used to see them on my old gelding that now sadly is no longer with us. I mentioned them to the vet and was told to ignore them, that they would go away eventually. However, on my old horse I wouldn't leave it alone as I was convinced it was like a spot and picked at it. Upshot was I made it sore and eventually it went away (took months and months) as the vet predicted and because I'd damaged the skin it grew a few white hairs. I learned my lesson that time and leave well alone. They normally come up in the Spring - somebody once said it was connected to worms/worming but I have no idea if that is so. Just leave it alone and play the waiting game.