Baling twine

nagblagger

Visit site
Baling twine is very useful i have used it for:
Fixing rugs - leg straps
securing gates /fences
belt
but my most unusual use of it is, i twisted my back and unable to lean out to reach the door of the 4x4 to close it, my OH tied it from the inside door handle to the grab handle, so all i have to do is pull on the twine and my door closes!

Interested to know what other people have used it for.

Last edited:

Cowpony

Visit site
Makeshift headcollar when I've been bringing in and somehow forgotten to take one, or if my hard to catch monkey has taken her fieldsafe one off and I can't find it in the field.

Keeping the door between the cab and the horse area open on my lorry when we are travelling.

Securing the door on my old lorry when the lock broke and I was terrified someone would steal it. Tied it to something solid in the cab so it couldn't be opened from the outside.

nagblagger

Visit site
maya2008 said:
When I was a child, I used to watch the grooms at the riding stables making haynets from it!
One of my friends used to do this - she tried to show me how, but i just 'couldn't get it'.

Widgeon

Visit site
Another one here who fixes fences with it. My first car was a tiny little old Peugeot and the brake cable started sticking - we had a look at the Meccano-like assembly under the bonnet and made the brake cable a little string loop, tied to the exterior, to stop it catching on the thing it was catching on. We were twenty-one and in our defence it worked fine after that!

sunnyone

Visit site
There are no limits to the uses for baling string. It's a farmer's first aid kit and it even got me a job once!

I had to do a short presentation on a subject of my choice at an interview, so I took a gamble and took in several pieces of baling twine. Most of the "student" group had no idea why it was called that. They then went on to brainstorm uses, and selected 6 of the best for "development". The interview panel thought that if I could get people involved in such a mundane topic then I would have no problem presenting work topics. Hence I got the job.:)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
For fixing absolutely everything.
View attachment 96962
A wee example from earlier in the year.

when I was a child I used it to make stirrups for fake horses made from the concrete dividers for the kye in the byre. Think it was used as reins as well.

Looks a bit like some of my fencing and my gate is currently held together with baling twine as well.

Some of my windows don't shut properly either so they are tied together with it as well.

I have hanging rug racks that hang from the roof beams with it as well.

Sealine

Visit site
The yard I was on in the 70's pretty much used it for everything. The yard owner's car was held together by it. I think all the stables, fencing and gates were held together by it. We made haynets from it but I've forgotten how. I spent many hours plaiting ropes using the clips from old ropes. Rugs with broken fastening were tied on with it. We also used it for grass reins.

I always keep baling twine in the car in case of emergencies. I've used it to repair a broken headcollar to get a horse home after it was broken at an event. I now travel with a spare headcollar.

blitznbobs

Visit site
dog leads, repairing haynets and back in the day making haynets, tying horses to, emergency lead rope, tying on bumper of quad bike. tying back hair. fixing rug straps and fillet strings.
tying up plants, facilitating lifting things including (but not limited to) old doors, manhole covers, hay bales, tying down bee hives, tying up toppers etc on tractors,

The list goes on and on, with that and duct tape I think I could ,temporarily fix anything.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
What cannot it be used for?

I still have a good stock from when we did small bales but as we are now on netted big bales I dread the day it runs out.

oldie48

Visit site
I've got beans and tomatoes growing up it and OH has used it to attach my rather elderly plastic greenhouses to dustbins full of water to stop them taking off in the wind. I tie up all sorts of plants in the garden with it too.