Balking and Bucking - help!

Liccie

Visit site
I've had my 5yr old ISH for 3 months and he has suddenly taken to balking and throwing in a buck!

He initially started this in the school in two ways.. Either if I had stopped talking to others or faffing, I would then ask him to move forward but he would just completely ignore my leg, flatten his ears and not budge! He then took a shine to our school mirrors (despite having been working with them since I've had him) and paced up and down beside the mirrors and I couldn't get him away. If I asked him to turn he would spin around and almost go to rear and then balk. I had to get someone to lead drag him away and once I got him going he was fine going back passed but I was not impressed.

Then tonight he simply refused to go out on a hack on his own. He hasn't been out on his own a lot so was expecting some disagreement but once again he span, backed up and threw in a nasty buck!

Any advice would be really appreciated as I'm beginning to feel disheartened with my boy! I was fully expecting a challenge when I got him and he's been coming on amazing in every other aspect. I know it will take a lot of work to discipline and young horse, especially one who seems to have picked up one like this from somewhere, but I really want this nipped in the bud ASAP! I'm not a nervous rider in the slightest but it is on my mind with him to now do this which he can probably sense!

Help!:(

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Just sounds like balky teenager behaviour designed to test you :rolleyes: So not much to be done other than kick him through it. Have the battle with him in the school first before attempting to go out alone again though. Good luck :)

spacie1977

Visit site
I agree with DabDab. I've got a 6yr old who started off an angel when I first got him, then quickly realised I was a softie as I was used to older riding school horses that were a completely different kettle of fish having been there, done that and spent years schooling. So having realised I wasn't used to being pushed about and was stupidly soft he quickly learnt he could take the mick. We had a few fallings out but I persevered, developed an arse like superglue, leg muscles like Wonder Women and growl like a rotweiler. He now knows if he tries shooting off across a field or school, or bucks like the bronco he was becoming he'll get a bloody good telling off. Don't be afraid to give him a few hard smacks with the whip whilst trotting him forward in a tight circle when he starts playing up. He can't buck whilst you're making him go forward and he'll get bored of being told off and made to circle every time he's naughty. You'll feel bad about it smacking your boy but it'll only take a a few times before he realises you're not going to put up with his silly teenage tantrums and rebelling, and you can then soften your approach again.

horseandshoes77

Visit site
I agree with DabDab. I've got a 6yr old who started off an angel when I first got him, then quickly realised I was a softie as I was used to older riding school horses that were a completely different kettle of fish having been there, done that and spent years schooling. So having realised I wasn't used to being pushed about and was stupidly soft he quickly learnt he could take the mick. We had a few fallings out but I persevered, developed an arse like superglue, leg muscles like Wonder Women and growl like a rotweiler. He now knows if he tries shooting off across a field or school, or bucks like the bronco he was becoming he'll get a bloody good telling off. Don't be afraid to give him a few hard smacks with the whip whilst trotting him forward in a tight circle when he starts playing up. He can't buck whilst you're making him go forward and he'll get bored of being told off and made to circle every time he's naughty. You'll feel bad about it smacking your boy but it'll only take a a few times before he realises you're not going to put up with his silly teenage tantrums and rebelling, and you can then soften your approach again.

this !! actually love the leg muscles like wonder woman..as im now jelly legged after a session lol,

Supanova

Visit site
What are you feeding him? Has diet changed? I agree that sometimes they can test the water at this age, but if the behaviour has changed significantly then i would just have a think about possible other causes first.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Can you not get someone to advise you in person? Behaviours are just forms of expression not indicative of specific causes - there could be a number of reasons why he is behaving that way and without seeing the subtle clues it's impossible to advise. What is the perfect course of action in one case could get you seriously squished in another.

I'm afraid I'd also not agree it's impossible for a horse to buck when it's moving! Rear, possibly, although even then I have personal experience to the contrary.

Liccie

Visit site
Thanks for all of your advice so far... I think the key is going to be persistence and a good body protector!

SupaNova - he's currently on Allan and page calm and condition, and dengie molasses free Hifi chaff. He's been on this for about 2 months now and seems to be going well with it. He is on both morning and evening feed as he is underweight but he's been on this since I've had him and was introduced to it all gradually.

I will keep you updated on our progress tonight as I'm planning on attempting a hack again to catch him out quick!

Liccie

Visit site
Tarr steps - I've spoken to my trainer who believes he just needs a right telling off and for me to take no nonsense which I think at the moment is all I can do!

siennamum

Visit site
Do double check there is nothing physical. I do think teenagers have a Kevin phase and try to argue, BUT before you get tough I would make sure he is quite comfortable and that there is no underlying cause.
Someone who can review your progress and varying aspects of management impartially might be useful.

coen

Visit site
Really sounds like he is just pushing his luck.
I would get some help from an experienced trainer rather than tackling it on your own as it can escalate really quickly.
Maybe get them to ride him and see what they think and then you will know what you have to do.
Professionals reactions are so much quicker than ours.

My horse started napping when he was six, I never got off or let him go the way he wanted but with hindsight he was still getting away with faffing and throwing the tantrums. And continued to do so intermittently.
Until I saw a trainer on him years later I didn't realise quite how tough & quick you have to be sometimes for them to realise it is unacceptable.

Good luck

Oscar

Visit site
5yr olds can still grow, so he might be having a growth spurt, or growing pains. Also he may have changed shape so get your saddle, his back, teeth etc checked first.

Then only ride under supervision even if its just a friend, you might be subtly doing something wrong, so eyes on the ground are needed. Also I prefer spurs to the stick, I find spurs more effective as riders often stop riding while they are busy smacking their horse, so the horse gets a mixed message and can sometimes react badly to being scolded! I'd rather friend or trainer had a lunge whip encouraging fwds, and remember 10 good steps is better than 20 ok steps.

Make your sessions short and sweet, if he's good for 5 mins, get off and let him know that was good. Don't think ahh he's being good lets keep going, at 5 he's mentally & physically young, he's not even at the teenage stage yet. Baby steps is the key!

mandwhy

Visit site
My horse was doing this sort of thing with her previous owner to the point where she would not school, and I mean literally not move, and if you really really pushed her, she would threaten to buck, and when your legs were burning from trying to get her going she would eventually have a bronco fit. She is the most nappy little test of character I have ever met bless her! I got an instructor in and quite simply she needed to know that if she kept doing this kind of thing she would get a smack (with a short stick not a tickle with a schooling whip which I tried with little success), and another until she moved. I guess I was just too afraid to really get after her and after like one session she was changed, and we could do walk schooling. We are now happily going forward in walk and trot and I rarely have to use my stick or any inelegant kicking. I think I was partly afraid of big bucking episodes (I'd grip onto her mane when I knew we were going to have a discussion) and partly didn't want to be mean, but she had got away with it and now she doesn't, so she's pretty responsive now and I am happy I don't have to be mean :)

I think you've just got to get tough, prepared to stick on and tell him that you don't have time to look in the mirror, handsome though he is :)

Liccie

Visit site
Thanks again for all of your advice. I've had his teeth, back and saddle all checked recently which are all fine! I took him out on a hack in company last night and he behaved brilliantly and even went out in front. Tonight we had a minor tantrum...I used a different mounting block to the one in the school I usually use which is out the front as if I was to go hacking.we successfully got around to the school but he then decided he wasn't going to go in the school! After a a,all discussion including using a short stick on the shoulder and lots of legs we went at a trot into the school and just the kept him going for a short but very sweet session.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions, I feel a lot more confident about tackling this now :D