Ban On Import Of Dogs With Cropped Ears..

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Sorry for the paper in which the article is published, but I read this today:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...BAN-import-dogs-clipped-ears-docked-tail.html

It sounds like a real step forward, I have so many people on my Facebook (who are then removed) who say 'people are so uneductaed re: cropping dogs ears', it drives me insane! So to stop the import of them also is great. I can't believe they genuinely persuade themselves that it's beneficial for the dog!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sorry for the paper in which the article is published, but I read this today:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...BAN-import-dogs-clipped-ears-docked-tail.html

It sounds like a real step forward, I have so many people on my Facebook (who are then removed) who say 'people are so uneductaed re: cropping dogs ears', it drives me insane! So to stop the import of them also is great. I can't believe they genuinely persuade themselves that it's beneficial for the dog!

It would certainly stop people hiding behind 'it was done why I got him, he's a foreign rescue' and it might have the added bonus of reducing the number of foreign rescue dogs being brought here. I can think of a few instances where there could be exceptions but they would need at least 2 vets certs to say that the import was necessary on welfare grounds, if I were in charge.

deb_l222

Visit site
Personally I think we need to get our own house in order first before we start criticising the practices of other countries.

This article states there will also be a ban on importing dogs with docked tails but the UK happily allows this practice (mutilation) to continue unchecked on the strength that the dog 'may' be used as a working dog. In reality, that is highly unlikely and they're docked because it's the traditional thing to do.

Both practices (ear cropping and tail docking) are deliberate mutilations but yet somehow ear cropping is seen as the more heinous offence. I'm not sure why.

Bellasophia

Visit site
in2010 Italy made it law with severe fines to ban tail docking and ear crops.
Mostly it is done by Eastern European breeders, but over here we see less dogs with this procedure.
Some breeds eg Doberman,boxers have fallen in popularity as a result,but others such as Rottweilers are still popular undocked.
The local rescues are full of bull types, mostly cropped by b.y.bs..