Bandage for cellulitis?

Sali

Visit site
Is it best to bandage for cellulitis? She's had it before and is quite prone to it and I'm sure I was told to bandage up, but with my poor memory I can't remember....

kerilli

Visit site
umm, maybe for increased blood flow to try to stop it happening again, loose-ish stable bandages over fybagee - i was told to fit them as loose as i could without them coming loose, if you see what i mean, almost like slippers, so that if there is any swelling, it won't make them too tight.
tbh i'd check with your vet to be absolutely sure.

Sali

Visit site
Yeah I'm pretty certain I was told to do 'loose' bandages last time. Waiting for the vet to call me back now..

Somedays I really wish I could just wrap her up in a bubble wrap jump suit and put her in a padded stable!

OliveOyl

Visit site
I don't know what the done thing is with horses, but I had cellulitis in my arm and I couldn't have tolerated a bandage on it, no matter how loose, it was well painful.
It's an infection of the skin tissue isn't it, so I don't see how bandaging would help clear it up?
Hope she's soon better anyway.

Shantor1

Visit site
Sorry to hear your horse has cellulitis. When my older gelding had it last winter he wouldn't let me touch it as it was so painful. All I could do was spray the area with calendula and hypericum spray which heals and soothes. Vet gave him iv antibiotics and showed me how to inject them intramuscularly which I did for 5 days.

He healed when and eventually fully healed. There was no way he could've tolerated bandages but it was pretty bad. eventually the old dead skin started sloughing and I just removed the crusty lumps with mild wash of hibiscrub and then wrapped in gamgee to dry. It took a month to fully heal.