Bank End Equine Rescue ... guilty of cruelty and suffering

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosieB

Visit site
This was sent to me today.. how awful to read exactly how bad the horses suffered, again. At least this time there have been convictions even if Toni Veitch and Graham Robson did not turn up. Let's hope they get arrested soon and get a harsh sentence. May all the lovely horses how suffered and died in their care R.I.P.

TWO horse owners face jail and thousands of pounds of fines after two animals in their care became so ill through poor treatment they had to be put down.

Vets said the horses were “suffering and in agony”, and had infections for days and perhaps weeks before their deaths, through neglect.

A trial was held at Selby Magistrates’ Court, but Toni Veitch, 40, and Graham Robson, 39, both of Brigg Lane, Camblesforth, did not attend.

Magistrates found them guilty of six counts each of animal cruelty and neglect, and issued warrants for their arrest.

Each offence carries a maximum sentence of six months in prison, and between £5,000 and £20,000 in fines. Philip Brown, prosecuting for the RSPCA, told the court that Vincenzo Franco, a local vet, was called to a field off Hirst Road, Carlton, on February 2, to attend to a chestnut gelding named James, which had collapsed.

The vet said the horse was “suffering and in agony”, badly emaciated, in cardiovascular shock, and was so weak it could not stand and could only move its head. It later had to be put down.

RSPCA inspector Claire Mitchell visited the same site, where between ten and 12 horses were being kept, and raised concerns about another animal, a 12-year-old bay gelding called Flame.

Flame, the court heard, was also badly emaciated, appeared lethargic and uninterested in grazing, and was suffering from an infection.

The horse was taken to Swanbridge Veterinary Practice, where it was found to have septicaemia. It too, had to be put down.

Mr Brown said Veitch and Robson were known to local vets, many of whom refused to send anyone to their property due to unpaid bills. When interviewed by the RSPCA, both said the vets who attended the scene were “talking rubbish”, and refused to accept their professional opinions.

Magistrate Ruth Stanley told the court: “The charges of causing unnecessary suffering to animals ultimately led to the death of both horses. We are satisfied that the condition of these animals caused unnecessary suffering and pain over a prolonged period period and the defendants failed in their duty of responsibility to care and properly provide

rhino

Visit site
To all the people who whined on and on about proof, either for these recent cases or previous ones, is this enough for you? Do you finally admit these people need to be stopped and should never be allowed near horses?

RIP poor horses :(

ETA here is the official article, not hearsay..

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I remember getting v angry on here when a thread was going on about it and I was asking questions only to be told it was none off my bussiness.
Well big finger up to you sick people, about bloody time.

russianhorse

Visit site
I've just found an old article that she said she was an ex-vet nurse :eek:

I hope thats a complete fabrication :mad:

Hopefully they'll get hold of them both and make them face the music. RIP poor horses

Dolcé

Visit site
I was one of the ones that wanted proof, purely because of the vitriol and personal vendetta on facebook - people who were slagging off the people named above one minute (including threats of violence from both sides if I remember) and then best friends the next. I never really knew what to believe because of the rubbish that was flying about from over 2 years ago. I now have the proof, although God only knows how I wish I didn't, and I hope that the people involved feel the full force of the law. I am not quite sure what that will be, a couple of months served or a fine that will never be paid because they don't have any money. No doubt it will never be enough but at least (hopefully) no horse will ever have to suffer at their hands again.

Natch

Visit site
Dolcé;10633458 said:
I was one of the ones that wanted proof, purely because of the vitriol and personal vendetta on facebook - people who were slagging off the people named above one minute (including threats of violence from both sides if I remember) and then best friends the next.

Ditto.

joeanne

Visit site
Justice for James and Flame....and Holly, and the lot that died first time around.
I hope that woman gets the maximum possible thrown at her!

Dolcé

Visit site
Bit of fingers up to all the supporters and those that thought it was a personal vendetta really!

If you are who I think you are then we had a long telephone conversation the first time around (the day you had been to visit BER) and you indicated things weren't quite right but certainly gave no indication that things were this bad, 'in too deep and won't ask for help' were your words, if I remember correctly, certainly no deliberate neglect or cruelty! You also said that most of the stuff on FB was part of a vendetta from people who were always in and out of being friends with each other , just their nature! I was a supporter first time around until you told me how it was, and then I backed off. The latest round seemed more of the same, you cannot knock people for wanting proof that it was anything other than the same people had fallen out again and decided to have another go. For you to feel like this seems to give some indication that perhaps things were covered up a little first time around, if this is the case then perhaps you are a little more responsible than you would care to admit! I am sorry if that is not the case but I think your post was unnecessary, do you not think we get the point!

dunkley

Visit site
At last the truth has come out, and those who were so passionate before (and got slated for it :( ) have been entirely vindicated. I just hope they are caught up with soon, and NEVER get near horses again.

quirky

Visit site
I hope that James and Flame canter through their dreams every night they are imprisoned, giving them nightmares.

Absolute low life scum, I hope they are hit hard in their pockets and they are made to pay, however long it may take them!

Taboo1968

Visit site
Dolcé;10633603 said:
If you are who I think you are then we had a long telephone conversation the first time around (the day you had been to visit BER) and you indicated things weren't quite right but certainly gave no indication that things were this bad, 'in too deep and won't ask for help' were your words, if I remember correctly, certainly no deliberate neglect or cruelty! You also said that most of the stuff on FB was part of a vendetta from people who were always in and out of being friends with each other , just their nature! I was a supporter first time around until you told me how it was, and then I backed off. The latest round seemed more of the same, you cannot knock people for wanting proof that it was anything other than the same people had fallen out again and decided to have another go. For you to feel like this seems to give some indication that perhaps things were covered up a little first time around, if this is the case then perhaps you are a little more responsible than you would care to admit! I am sorry if that is not the case but I think your post was unnecessary, do you not think we get the point!

And which visit was that one? The very first one where Toni Veitch had removed horses prior to the visit so that their condition could not be seen and then leaving them in that field??? Or the visit where I went up with the opinion that the place was to be closed down..... which it was..... relinquishing my responsibilty even tho i was a silent trustee living over 100 miles away..... The proof came out and people still defended and accused.....

And obviously from your defensive response, the point obviously hurts!!!

JosieB

Visit site
'Silent' or not, still a trustee, as you were privy to more than most maybe you could have pushed to get them prosecuted last time when far more died. That neglect did not happen overnight, it was long term.
Didn't you go to their barbeque days before the first lot of neglect came to light??

Dolcé

Visit site
And which visit was that one? The very first one where Toni Veitch had removed horses prior to the visit so that their condition could not be seen and then leaving them in that field??? Or the visit where I went up with the opinion that the place was to be closed down..... which it was..... relinquishing my responsibilty even tho i was a silent trustee living over 100 miles away..... The proof came out and people still defended and accused.....

And obviously from your defensive response, the point obviously hurts!!!

It isn't that it hurts as much as it is almost point scoring when that isn't what it should be about, I feel a bit of a tw*t, I must admit, that I didn't believe it all 2nd time around and wanted proof, but I was led to believe (by you) that most of the stuff said 1st time was rubbish and it was just a bit out of control, no cruelty, no deliberate neglect. The way the 'antis' and TV are in and out of friendship how is anyone supposed to know what is true and what is not, without proof. Many of the people involved in the facebook campaign(and that is what it was) were certainly no better and possibly worse going from some the comments and photos. First time around I fell for it, second time I wanted proof, I am sure I am not the only one!

For what it is worth I am glad they have been found guilty because if they got away with it the first time they obviously thought they were untouchable. I am glad that justice will be done for all the horses that have been neglected and hopefully they will never be able to do the same agian.

Taboo1968

Visit site
'Silent' or not, still a trustee, as you were privy to more than most maybe you could have pushed to get them prosecuted last time when far more died. That neglect did not happen overnight, it was long term.
Didn't you go to their barbeque days before the first lot of neglect came to light??

Actually being the wonderful con artist that Toni was, I was actually not made privy to anything.... when I asked to see accounts, there were none..... veterinary records.... there were none.... receipts for feed, foot care etc, there were none...... the barbecue wa actually three weeks before all this came to light, and as stated above, horses moved prior to party so that they were not seen.....

Dolcé

Visit site

I deliberately didn't mention who Taboo was because I didn't want this to happen. If I remember correctly the Trustees closed BER as soon as they realised things were not right. My point was that nasty comments aimed at people who either supported BER, or didn't believe all the accusations appearing on facebook pages (deja vu and all that) were uncalled for. All that should matter is that justice has been done!

Dolcé

Visit site
Actually being the wonderful con artist that Toni was, I was actually not made privy to anything.... when I asked to see accounts, there were none..... veterinary records.... there were none.... receipts for feed, foot care etc, there were none...... the barbecue wa actually three weeks before all this came to light, and as stated above, horses moved prior to party so that they were not seen.....

And...........if you who knew her well was taken in how the hell were those of us who didn't supposed to see through the lies. You choose between an incredibly plausible person and a witch hunt on facebook, along with all the usual suspects and their inane comments and accusations.

Dolcé

Visit site
And the photos certainly spoke a thousand words! What more proof did you need!

I could find photos of neglected horses, stick them on facebook and say they were yours (or anybody else's), the first facebook campaign was so 'dirty' that I wouldn't have trusted anything posted by certain people involved in that. Possibly a case of 'the boy who cried wolf', had they not played so dirty the first time then perhaps it could have been stopped sooner this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.