Bank End Rescue Shuts Down

PandorasJar

Visit site
There is no law against selling horses to the meatman or passing them from pillar to post. The RSPCA have no powers to seize anyway, the police do that for them. There are no powers for the police to seize horses just because they may be passed from pillar to post unfortunately.

Whilst I was studying Animal Welfare a new Act was passed giving the RSPCA far more powers (including entering property without waiting for police presence) but I can't remember the laws on seizing, I do recall them changing though...
The courts were also given the power to apply a jail sentence and fine PER animal as opposed to the previous combined... however less than a week after it came out we had to study a case in the news where an owner had thrown 3 dogs out of a car on a motorway and got away with a telling off :mad:
They have far more powers than led to believe, I think the RSPCA are just very good at passing on problems :mad:

The horses should not be able to be profitted from though.

Pan

Fairynuff

Visit site
Iwould like to see concrete proof before I make any comment on the situation. Can someone provide some proof please ?

JosieB

Visit site
Well you could look at the selby times or Goole papers which carried the story of the investigation. If you root about on Facebook you can probably find the pics of the dead emaciated horse or the one with the terribly infected penis.

tania01

Visit site
Isn't it just...

Perhaps people are finally realising that sometimes, there are NO excuses.

100% agree with you both Tankey and Lady La La.Everyone seems to of done a vanishing act.

Lets hope the horses saved will now have the better life they deserve,and should of had.

JosieB

Visit site
What a shame it took more horses losing their lives, after the 15 or so last time before people woke up to the realisation that the person responsible for their suffering and neglect should never touch another horse again, let alone keep two.

dieseldog

Visit site
BER is also a charity. So selling anything would be highly irregular.

Why? Charities sell things all the time, its a form of fundraising. Our high streets are full of charity shops. Even the RSPCA 'sells' animals when they re-home with their fees.

What happens to the money after might be irregular

Fairynuff

Visit site
Well you could look at the selby times or Goole papers which carried the story of the investigation. If you root about on Facebook you can probably find the pics of the dead emaciated horse or the one with the terribly infected penis.

i have already seen all of the above.I still haven't seen any concrete proof that BER is closing! :)

joelb

Visit site
Why? Charities sell things all the time, its a form of fundraising. Our high streets are full of charity shops. Even the RSPCA 'sells' animals when they re-home with their fees.

What happens to the money after might be irregular

They sell goods yes but not the living breathing souls who are in there care for any number of reasons. An adoption fee is morally legitimate.

Almost don’t want to know but does anyone know what happened to a little mare called Evie that was signed over to BER?

Dolcé

Visit site
i have already seen all of the above.I still haven't seen any concrete proof that BER is closing! :)

This! I was a staunch supporter of BER last time this was all on the go, the reason I got involved was because I had a lot of respect for Toni, hated the horrible bullying campaign that was going on via Facebook and had no reason to believe the stuff that was being spouted. There were no prosecutions made and Toni was obviously allowed to continue so even now I am still not sure how much of that was true.

I understood that BER had closed down then and I wasn't aware they had continued. TBH, I simply haven't got the energy to get involved again, it all seems like deja vu to me (no pun intended there). I've seen all the bitching and gossip on facebook again, seen the photos, news reports etc. and will watch with interest to see whether or not prosecutions follow. I hope they don't, I hope there is a genuine reason for the photos along with veterinary support for those reasons and that it is just gossip and nastiness going on again. As last time there seems to be a lot of personal grudges being aired and it detracts from any genuine concern for the horses!

JosieB

Visit site
How many photos of dead horses and ones needing medical treatment do you need to see before your views change? I doubt they will prosecute, it would highlight the lack of monitoring that has taken place.

Dolcé

Visit site
How many photos of dead horses and ones needing medical treatment do you need to see before your views change? I doubt they will prosecute, it would highlight the lack of monitoring that has taken place.

I could probably find loads of pics of dead horses and tell you anything about them, without the real story behind them they mean nothing. There were many dirty tricks used last time so I don't really take anything at face value where this is concerned. I cannot believe that prosecutions won't happen if the photos (and the stories with them) are true, and indeed there should be if that is the case. I am not defending in any way, I really don't know what to believe, I just have a long memory and remember how nasty the whole thing was last time. I am also unsure of how, if it really was as bad as it was supposed to be last time, BER was able to continue, doesn't ring quite true to me.

Moomin1

Visit site
Whilst I was studying Animal Welfare a new Act was passed giving the RSPCA far more powers (including entering property without waiting for police presence) but I can't remember the laws on seizing, I do recall them changing though...
The courts were also given the power to apply a jail sentence and fine PER animal as opposed to the previous combined... however less than a week after it came out we had to study a case in the news where an owner had thrown 3 dogs out of a car on a motorway and got away with a telling off :mad:
They have far more powers than led to believe, I think the RSPCA are just very good at passing on problems :mad:

The horses should not be able to be profitted from though.

Pan

Then I'm afraid (with all due respect) your animal welfare course taught you very incorrectly.

The Animal Welfare Act 2006 states a police officer or inspector have powers under the act. This is not an RSPCA Inspector - it is a Local Authority Inspector. And believe me - I know!! ;)

marmalade76

Visit site
Then I'm afraid (with all due respect) your animal welfare course taught you very incorrectly.

The Animal Welfare Act 2006 states a police officer or inspector have powers under the act. This is not an RSPCA Inspector - it is a Local Authority Inspector. And believe me - I know!! ;)

Absolutely, an RSPCA 'inspector' has no more power to enter someone's property and inspect their animals than you or I.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
OP can you tell us how you came about the information on BER closing down?

Certainly their website seems inactive (although that's no indicator, we'd all agree....)

Lady La La

Visit site
OP can you tell us how you came about the information on BER closing down?

Certainly their website seems inactive (although that's no indicator, we'd all agree....)

To be honest with you, I went off things that were being said on facebook.
T**a stated that she had had confirmation from the charity commission that BER had closed down, but since looking into it sadly it seems that that's untrue as I can't find written confirmation anywhere and no statements have been released from any of the trustees yet either.
I have since spoken to Toni who has confirmed they are not shutting down, but are no longer taking in any rescues.

did you hear that pin drop in the anti BER camp?

Can we please have PROOF?

None to give you. What a shame for those poor horses :(

Lady La La

Visit site
thanks for your reply Lady La La. :)

No worries. I guess the lesson here is to take what certain people say with a (massive) pinch of salt.
But then, I should have known that already.

Sorry for the confusion everyone, I really thought it was true.

Last edited:

lannerch

Visit site
We all really hoped it was true too lady la la so no sorry required.
For the sake of those horses let's carrying on hoping soon it really is.
And it's not an anti ber camp from most if us anyway it's an anti cruelty to horses camp it's the actions not the personalitys we are all anti!