Barbed wire/striaght wire/pig wire/sheep wire etc.....

watcherathome

Visit site
We have post and rail, with the bottom half filled by stock fencing, because the fields are occasionally grazed by sheep. I don't like the wire, I think any kind of wire can cause injury but have to live with it. The top rail has electric wire in most places so they don't get too close

RunToEarth

Visit site
Vast majority of our fields are wall bound, being on a farm and all. Dont have a huge problem with wire as I dont come accross it too often in our turnout, hate elec fencing, friend's horse died in it...

JadeWisc

Visit site
I hate barbed wire. The summer pasture for my horses has it all around and I am always in fear of an injury. I do have electric rope all around to keep them well away. If I had my choice I would prefer field fence mesh fencing backed up with two strands of rope. A worthy investment I plan to make in the near future. I have been so suprised at how many people around me have straight barbed wire for their horses with no electric. Just a terrible accident waiting to happen if you ask me. There is never a need to add it in my opinion on a newly put up fence . To many non barbed or electric options out there.

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
[ QUOTE ]
the 3rd is plain wire but connected to the mains electrical supply and we use electric fence for the 4th side

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope it is not directly connected to the low impedance live 230vac phase but you use an electric fencer unit !!!!!

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
On our own fields we use just 2 runs of 4cm wide electric tape, height 90 and 130cm from the ground, which proves to be an effective but safe barrier.

La Sangliere has a good web site (& good selection of products) about that and the dangers of other types of fencing. see http://www.sangliere.net/
I think they partner with an American firm too.

If you want to excercise your french then look at this page:
http://www.sangliere.net/pages2k/cat07.html

MillionDollar

Visit site
I HATE all types of wire!!! I think its because i live on a farm and we've got barbed wire and sheep netting (which of course we need for our 800 ewes) and my horses lean over and rip their rugs a lot. From the start of the year i put electric fencng up so they could no longer do it. Its so annoying, thankfully none of them have ever cut themselves. But i just hate it so much, can't wait to start my livery yard and get rid of it all.

If i was on a livery yard i would not accept it at all.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Also be aware that some insurance companies don't cover wire fencing injuries - mate with £2600 bill found that ou the hard way
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is very interesting!! Hmmmmm So, if the fencing was wire and it caused an accident, would the Livery YO be liable?

Patches

Visit site
Well obviously I don't like any form of wire if I'm talking about ideals.

However, we have 230 acres which is predominantly permanent pasture for our dairy herd. Two very tight rows of it, we do not have saggy fencing as our cows would be straight over it. Replacing this with post and rail would absolutely bankrupt us and as it's a dairy farm, first and foremost, the purse string holders would never "go for it".

Only one side of my horse paddocks though has any wire to it. My grazing areas are electric fencing within a larger field. I have alot of hedging in it but this one run of wire. I'd like to say we're going to replace it, but hubby won't as he post and railed a section but the cows tried to push their way through it as I strip graze my paddocks, they wanted to get to the longer grass. I have a row of electric tape strung across the top length of wire.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Sheep netting is awful stuff if it has holes big enough for a horse's hoof to get through. Smaller holed netting is fine as long as it's taut and well maintained. The people who have the fields next to ours lost a horse a few weeks ago because it sliced it's leg and tendon on slack sheep netting.

The land we rent has not got the best fencing - the dry stone wall boundaries are okay but need rebuilding from time to time and the other boundaries are mostly wire and sheep netting so we run electric fencing all round the perimeter about two foot inside the existing fencing.

Salcey

Visit site
Last yard we were at had P & R with squared netting attached. Within 3 months two horses had ripped off the netting and caught it under their shoes in separate instances.
At our current place we have hedgerow on two sides (I think there maybe barbed wire within it but you can't see it, and the other side is single electrified wire.

kirstyfk

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the 3rd is plain wire but connected to the mains electrical supply and we use electric fence for the 4th side

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope it is not directly connected to the low impedance live 230vac phase but you use an electric fencer unit !!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes forgot to mention that. It does has a box thingy!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have dry stone walls except for one boundary which is sheep wire with a run ofelectric over the top. The only problem we've had was when the battery died on the electric and one stepped over the wire into next doors field. Been here twelve years and that has been the only problem, hope I'm not tempting fate!

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
As I have foals, I wouldn't be happy with any kind of wire. I have seen first hand what barbed wire can do to a horse
frown.gif
and Ive also seen first hand what sheep wire can do to a foal
frown.gif
frown.gif

If I was at a livery yard I would ask if I could put an electric fence up to keep the horses off the wire.