Bareback pads, to try or not to try

Denbob

Visit site
I have the saddle fitter out tonight and while I'm hoping the beast needs to go up a gullet size and readjust the flocking, I'm also aware that she might well say it's not quite suitable as he's just changed so drastically in the 6/7 months since I bought the saddle. The beast is only really worked under saddle twice or maybe three times a week at the moment, and long-reined once or twice although all being well that will pick back up in the New Year. I'm loathe to give him any more holiday as he's had a large chunk of the year off already and he's started to make quite a bit of progress in the last few weeks and if at all possible I'd like to keep that momentum going as we've finally got the chance to go to a different venue in the New Year.

In the interim has anyone had any experiences, good or bad, with bareback pads? Only for very light schooling and maybe a small hack if all is well!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I tried a bareback pad for mine (sorry can't remember what make/name it was); I didn't get on with at all well, it felt very unstable.

However, I DO ride both of mine in a treeless saddle! Just wondering whether the treeless route might be your best bet?

IF going treeless: then essential to try a few first; if you go onto "saddles direct" there are a few companies on there where you can try first. Also a correct fit is very important indeed with treeless.

HashRouge

Visit site
I have a Christ Lammfelle bareback pad which I love! It was quite pricey but I think I got it as a birthday/ Christmas present. I actually never used it much on my mare as I ended up retiring her shortly after I got it, but my sister has used it quite a bit on her gelding. It's super comfy and would be ideal for hacking/ light schooling. She's just taken it again actually as she has a new horse and his saddle doesn't fit. It's a really handy bit of kit! It can be used with stirrups but I never have as I worry about pressure points and it is stable enough without.

Denbob

Visit site
I tried a bareback pad for mine (sorry can't remember what make/name it was); I didn't get on with at all well, it felt very unstable.

However, I DO ride both of mine in a treeless saddle! Just wondering whether the treeless route might be your best bet?

IF going treeless: then essential to try a few first; if you go onto "saddles direct" there are a few companies on there where you can try first. Also a correct fit is very important indeed with treeless.

I have had a little look at treeless, how do you find they cope with stirrups? The only real time I've ridden in one the physio pointed out sore points where the weight wasn't spread as evenly as with a normal treed saddle but that may well have been fit/brand!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I used one and really, really rate them for this sort of thing. Pony was a difficult fit anyway and came back from full livery fat. We used the bareback pad till he slimmed into his saddle again. My sharer at the time kept the bareback pad to use as she preferred it

pippixox

Visit site
I have a Christ lamfelle. The model with a large roll in front and behind which really holds you in place. Used it to back two ponies as felt more secure in that with no stirrups then trying to ride them in a saddle that wasn’t a perfect for due to their tricky size and every changing shape. Worth the money.

My friend has a saddle pad once which has a girth but basically offered nothing- would be better off bare back

I’ve only tried treeless once on a friends pony and it may have been partly due to her size and shape but I felt like I was perched on top and didn’t like it. But they do vary massively I think

Wheels

Visit site
Has anyone tried the Bucking Ponies version of the Christ Lammfelle? It doesn't look as comfortable, but I'm tempted by it being half the price. (And by the fact you can apparently bung it in the shower to wash it!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAST-ONE...h=item2871198838:g:wwIAAOSwdzhcF-tn:rk:3:pf:0

That is not anywhere near like the Christ Lamfelle one I'm afraid - there is a reason the CL one is expensive and that is the high quality sheepskin used on the top and the underside of the pad.

I have a christ lamfelle bareback pad which I love but I now ride in a solutions saddle and so the CL is not used that much anymore

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I used to hack out my Exmoor in a best friends pad-it was very stable (he was perfectly round!) with a grippy underneath and suedy stuff on top-I still have it and it works much better than it looks but it is very basic, more to keep your breeches clean and a tiny bit of padding, I did nt have to girth it tightly for it to work so wasnt worried about pressure points. I love the look of the Lammfelles etc but struggle to justify the cost of them. The new Ghost bareback pads look amazing too.

Denbob

Visit site
Fab looks like it's worth investing then as I'm sure there will be plenty of times he is between saddles/growing awkwardly plus it'll be good for me as well! Any recommendations preferably on the cheaper side of the Lammfelles?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Fab looks like it's worth investing then as I'm sure there will be plenty of times he is between saddles/growing awkwardly plus it'll be good for me as well! Any recommendations preferably on the cheaper side of the Lammfelles?

I've liked the look of the Thinlines but havent seen one in real life, think they are about £100. The Best friend deluxe is about £70. I had a Barefoot one with a sheepskin topper (about £200 for both bits) and stupidly sold it, wish I had kept it for the current one.

https://www.horseandharmony.co.uk/bareback-pad--seat-savers-52-c.asp

Pippity

Visit site
That is not anywhere near like the Christ Lamfelle one I'm afraid - there is a reason the CL one is expensive and that is the high quality sheepskin used on the top and the underside of the pad.

I have a christ lamfelle bareback pad which I love but I now ride in a solutions saddle and so the CL is not used that much anymore

The Bucking Ponies ones are vegan, so I wasn't expecting high quality sheepskin! I suspect it's more than just the quality of the sheepskin that makes the CL more expensive - they look a lot more substantial and better designed in general. However, I've ordered a BP one in the hope that some bareback, stirrupless riding will help me improve my seat. I've hopped on my girl with nothing and she was extremely startled, so this might make her a bit happier, too.

If I come across a CL second-hand, I'll probably snap it up but it's just too expensive for me to shell out without having had the chance to try it.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Theres a huge difference between the BP and the CL ones! They market the BP as vegan to try and get round the fact its cheap synthetic materials. Its slippier and the horse sweats more. They are not comparable and I think really expensive for what they are. They have gone up in price by 60% over the last 4 months. I'm 99% certain they are knocked up in India. I wouldnt have one on my horse. CL come up second hand for £150 quite often so I would hold out for one

scruffyponies

Visit site
I used one initially many years ago because pony was fat and it was suggested that saddle fit might be a reason for his bucking (it wasn't - he was a life-long bucker). I found that I enjoyed the closeness of the contact and eventually I abandoned the pad altogether and we hacked for miles bareback. It's fab for your strength, balance and posture.

Denbob

Visit site
After all my fussing about the saddle, which I was right about needing a new gullet we ended up having a bridle consultation and she let me try one of her anatomical bridles and I cannot believe the difference it made - it was like he thought for a few strides and went "yep I like this"

And just in time for Christmas too 😒

spugs

Visit site
I used to ride my cob in a total contact saddle. Bit strange at first but massively improved my balance and I did everything in it. Hunting and jumping weren’t a problem. Her back was checked regularly and always fine. She’s been ridden in it for nearly two years now as her new owners continued to use it.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I recently sold a CL sheepskin one I'd had for years and hardly used. It was very comfortable and secure, but I like to be able to mount from the ground and I though I had the stirrups on it, I didn't want to use them for mounting as there's so little support for tem.. This would always be my problem with any bareback pad. I've had a couple of treeless saddles which I prefer to the bareback pads for this reason (although always us a mounting block where possible anyway).