Barefoot begins!

fishy

Visit site
2 years ago we bought a little cob who was barefoot (although I don't think he was intentionally barefoot, just turned out and left with no shoes on) He had great feet and so we have kept him that way. Apart from a bit of thrush in one hoof earlier this year we have had no problems and he inspired me to take my mares shoes off. Last year her backs came off and apart from a few days of footiness after about 3 weeks she has been fine. I had planned to take the fronts off in a few weeks, but she lost a shoe last week and after struggling to get hold of my farrier (I have a trimmer for the cob and her back feet) I decided to do it now! I had a lengthy chat with my trimmer yesterday and have an incredibly unreliable farrier (albeit a very good one) and so I thought sod it (excuse my french) I'll do it now. I know I should have waited for some more growth (its only 6 weeks since the fronts were done) but sometimes things just don't go to plan. I will be taking photos so I can keep a track of them and my trimmer is coming up in a couple of weeks to do her backs. Thanks for reading sorry its such a long post xxx:eek:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
It will be really interesting to see your photos, I hope that your cob transitions with no problems.

The one thing that really piqued my interest was the fact that your Farrier was happy to have a shoeing cycle of a 'few weeks' longer than 6 weeks. That's a hell of a long time between shoeings! That alone makes me think that you are undoubtedly doing the right thing taking your cob BF/unshod.

Good luck and please post some photos when you have them. :)