barefoot boots

coss

Visit site
Been looking around and just want to know the good/bad stories about different types.
I swear by the old mac (g2) that i've got for my own pony. But they've gonew up a huge amount of money (though i'd get them again if i was buying for my own horse). They were just over £100 when i bought them several years ago and now they're £140+ :-X

So looking at cheaper options as need to get boots for a horse i ride but don't own (long story, not sure how long i will still be riding the horse but want to keep her as fit as poss for as long as i'm able which means hacking and don't want her shod)

So.. there are boa boots (don't like them but if its short term and i can get cheap - worth it?), mac (expensive), cavallo (only velcro to fasten - good? bad?) and the many forms of equiboot (equitrek etc)... anyone know good/bad/indifferent? will be looking out for a bargain as think i'll end up reselling the boots by next year :rolleyes:

opinions??

Angua2

Visit site
you need to get accurate hoof measurements before you make a decision/buy as there may be only certain boots that actually fit the horse you are thinking of buying for.

For example out of the fast range of boots there are only actually 3 types that fit my horse, cavello's, easyboot glove wide and renagade wides, and the price increases the way the list does too.

I think you need to narrow your selection down and then, since you are buying for a horse that isn't yours investigate the second hand market. You will always ge conflicting reports from anything so a the end of the day you will end up ruled by what fits and your wallet.

coss

Visit site
thank you for the response - hooves are measured already- 5 15/16 (or 7/8ths :eek:) width and the same (slightly longer) length - i was going to double check using the cavallo ruler i downloaded as metal tape measure was hard to judge- can mark paper!

Jnhuk

Visit site
Like you I rate the Old Macs - maybe investigate the second hand market for them - you may get away with just needing ones from front feet depending on how much you riding and what your terrain is like. I tend to take off one of my horse's shoes in the winter so use them then when hacking out. Tried Boa and lost confidence in them when one came off during a ride. I had to use boa as at first they were the only thing that I could get big enough for my horse.

Like other poster, check out your sizing and then see what is available in your price range.

I know keep the Boas as they are great poulticing boots though!

Last edited:

GingerTrotter

Visit site
I swear by my old macs! i know they are expensive buy i have been using them on my horse (who hacks alot!) for 3 years now and a full set average a years hacking. When you consider that a set of shoes cost £80 now and only last, in my horses case, a few weeks they work out very cheap in comparision.
I hack out in them over all terrains - stony tracks, stubble field galloping and through streams and water - they have yet to fail me and have never irritated his hooves or legs and hes a very sensitive horse.