Barefoot Farrier - Collapsed Heels Navicular Syndrome

soloequestrian

Visit site
Probably a bit late to add anything to this, but in my experience you get good and poor farriers and good and poor barefoot trimmers. You just have to make up your own mind about the work they do and how you feel about them, and of course how your horse is. Some farriers are much more keen on barefoot than others and I have come across one who really pushed for putting shoes on when they were not necessary. I'm not sure the cap on the numbers of farriers trained is a good thing as it seems to wipe out any competition - most farriers are packed out with clients no matter their skill. I'm very lucky that I've had help from some excellent farriers and an excellent barefoot trimmer and I'm now able to maintain my horses feet mainly on my own (none of them have any history of problems). I'll repeat, I don't think there is really a farrier/ barefoot trimmer argument, just a skilled and well-educated/ cowboy debate that applies to all hoof-care professionals.
For support during a transition to barefoot, look at the EasyCare hoofboot website.

pootler

Visit site
Well said Soloequestrian. I have two horses who are currently barefoot and eventing despite various physical issues. They are sound and healthy without shoes.

They were both shod but I had so many problems finding a decent farrier that I took the barefoot route. I had one totally rubbish barefoot trimmer but have now found one who is fantastic. However, I do not think I would find it easy to replace the trimmer and would probably end up shoeing if they could not continue to trim my horses.

Equally I now know of two farriers locally who I would trust to do a good job of shoeing should I wish to take that route. My point being that as you said there are good and bad farriers/trimmers out there!

I hope the OP can find someone suitable locally whether they are a farrier or a trimmer. It must be a nightmare trying to do the right thing for a horse with navicular.

Please can you give us an update on how your horse is doing if everyone promises to play nicely if you answer!

ScarySara

Visit site
Hi,

wondering how you got on? I've got a Navicular horse, shoes off for 9 months, changed diet, environment etc. Farrier is currently trimming and hoof shape changing nicely but he's very sore for at least a week after trimming. am considering a trimmer and I'm in mid-wales. Sara Cave has come up as local, wondered if you have any feedback \ recommendations of trimmers that may cover mid-wales?

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have used Sara Cave and Jamie Hickman, both good, but got quicker results with Jamie. Nice bloke, very clever and had lots of experience.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Can I just ask a quick question? How did the heels get to be collapsed in the first place? With a qualified and expert farrier looking after and shoeing the horse? It wouldn't be because the toe had been allowed to get too long and the heels had been allowed to migrate forwards, would it? And could the collapsed heels have contributed to the "Navicular Syndrome" by any chance??

Hides behind sofa.

ScarySara

Visit site
absolutely. navicular caused by deterioration in hoof confirmation over an 18 month period caused by poor farriery. tried remedial farrier with new farrier but no improvement. massive improvement without shoes being trimmed by a farrier but now we have stalled and my farrier, although a great farrier, is not experienced in barefoot trimming so I'd like more input from an experienced trimmer.

I've had shod horses for the whole 19 years I've owned horses but when shoeing failed and I was told to have my horse shot I looked for alternatives and I'm very happy with progress without shoes. the horse deserves not to be written off without trying all the options.

if you are going to give me ***** about barefoot, don't bother, I'm not interested in your opinion. I'm looking for solutions to make my horse sound. I tried farriery and vet and farrier agreed it wasn't working.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Can I just add because no-one has made the point so far. SS, NO horse should be more sore after trimming than it was before, never mind for a while week. Your farrier is doing a dreadful job . Did you tell him, and what did he say?

Landcruiser

Visit site
apologies. from prev remark. I was expecting a diatribe on why my horse needs shoes.

I only just saw this! Goodness me, the only ***** about barefoot you'll get from me is that I firmly believe that all horses would have healthier hooves if never shod (and of course given good nutrition/environment), and that most of the shod hooves I see have poor conformation as a result, or are damaged by shoeing. I was being sarcastic :)

Marmaduke

Visit site
Don't know if it will help but when my horse was diagnosed with navicular and coffin joint problems a few years back i didnt want to remedial shoe as heart bars had previously just crushed his heels and he was too flat footed and thin soles to survive all the stony ground here. A friend put me in touch with Alf Hall from Lambourn. He travelled to Cumbria and trained my farrier how to fit his special shoes. Half shoe round front to hold on a full pad underneath to support and protect but not crush the heel. These have worked. 3 years on my horse is happy and sound to do dressage and hacking etc. I have had him barefoot in the past but as soon as the ground became wet and his hooves softened up (i prefer him out as much as possible) he couldn't cope. Good luck with your horse!

amandaco2

Visit site
a lot of farriers ive used trim the horse- horse is sore for 2-7 days after trim. farrier sacked. repeat.
they used the knife on the bottom of the foot despite being told it makes my horses sore!! my horse needs the material they put down on the bottom of the hoof to feel comfortable on the rougher ground....

I must have used a lot of farriers over the years finding one who trims my horses the way they need to be trimmed. it can be a nightmare.

ScarySara

Visit site
thank you very much. I will certainly bare that in mind. mine currently has bruised toes and is hopping lame with it. I don't know how he got bruised toes in a field so I'm guessing the same. his feet are just soft at the moment I think.