Barefoot feed advice needed

treacle_beastie

Visit site
I'm probably getting on peoples nerves asking so many questions about the barefoot horse but I am keen to try and get everything right.

I was just going to feed my horse kwik beet to mix her supplements in but she's not keen on it without chaff (not surprised really as she likes the sweet chaff!) so does anyone know of any chaff that is molasses/sugar free that I can feed her.

Also I am quite keen for her to have her snack ball to give her something to do in her stable but again I am struggling to find a suitable high fibre nut that doesn't require soaking and contains no sugar or very low sugar.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Kallibear

Visit site
You can buy cheap unmollassed chopped hay - my local feed store sells unbranded 10kg bag for couple of quid.

As for the feed ball: Babminton Fibre Plus Nuggets are perfect: they're much bigger size (treat sized) and therefore ideal for a horseball. We put a couple of handfuls of chaff in the ball too to slow down release and it keeps her occupied for ages.

LucyPriory

Visit site
I wouldn't feed spillers because it is stuffed with wheatfeed which is a known problem for sensitive horses. Alfalfa can be problematic too.

Bear in mind I am talking sensitive souls and some horses are fine.

Kwik beet tastes like wet paper but my own sugar addict horse now eats it happily.

A safe way of making Kwik Beet taste nicer, esp for sugar addicts is to add Dodson and Horrell Stand Free (basically dried nettles and rose hips).

Or you can get the same ingredients from your local hedges for the cheaper home made approach.

A sprinkle of micronised linseed can be useful in some circumstances too.

kezimac

Visit site
Badminton Easy rider is a chaff with no alfalfa, mollasses, cereals, sugar or anything.
I have to get local store to order it although baileys have now bought badminton feeds so should be easier to get

Oberon

Visit site
You can add mint, fenugreek, nettle, rosehips (although my horses hate them!) all much cheaper than chaff.

I buy online from Cotswold Health Products, although I have bought from Equinatural too.

My big lad isn't into hard feed - he just wants haynet or out. But with the herbs etc I add, even he loves dinner.