Barefoot horse slipping on concrete

blitznbobs

Visit site
My horse is an idiot... This is nothing new she ain't the brightest at the best of times but she has taken to dancing out of her stable - just a bit of high spirits but rather than stepping down the 8 inch step from her stable (the floors are raised so the stables don't flood) she kind of jumps down ... And about 2 out of 3 times she falls over as her feet slip on the concrete - to the point I've started putting knee boots on her to get her out of the stable . She doesn't fall at any other time and none of my other horses slip like this. It's not icy .. And I'm working on the jumping thing but this is difficult cos she does it from a halt and doesn't try and pull away or anything it's just her way of 'getting down' (any ideas on stopping this would also be appreciated) but is there any thing I can do to make her feet more grippy so she doesn't end up damaging herself? Ideas gratefully received.

PorkChop

Visit site
If it is just the spot outside the stables I think I would find a way to roughen it.

You could either put a screed on top or maybe a sand mixture, either would make it less slippy.

Are you sure it is not slippy because it is a bit slimy? Would pressure washing help?

spookypony

Visit site
My first thought was also to put some sand down in front of the stable; sounds as though the concrete is unusually slippery there...is it her front end or her back end that slides?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yacht deck paint or warehouse/workshop non-slip floor paint. I have it on my ramp, it works brilliantly. Clean and dry the concrete and paint the patch outside the door.You need the stuff with micro beads or silica grains in.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Could you try the similar 'trick' that is used for horses that jump off horse boxes, i.e. lead her out with a feed bowl at a low height so she has to lower her head to eat as she steps out the stable?

Thorwood

Visit site
random question - but what are her frogs like? do they have contact with the floor?

It is very unusual for a barefoot horse to slip on concrete? infact a friend of mine removed her tbs shoes because he couldnt walk across the yard in the steel ... she said hes been fine since but he does have very nice frogs.

Just a thought :)

Greylegs

Visit site
Could you put a piece of rubber matting there?

^^^ I agree. Or some other sort of non-slip matting. Or even make a sort of low ramp topped with rubber so she can step out rather than having to step down? Depends how much space you have.

Hoof boots might work? but a bit of a faff to put them on before you lead her out.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
^^^ I agree. Or some other sort of non-slip matting. Or even make a sort of low ramp topped with rubber so she can step out rather than having to step down? Depends how much space you have.

Hoof boots might work? but a bit of a faff to put them on before you lead her out.

Agree with the matting idea, a grass mat (the ones with holes) wouldn't get slippery in the wet, but it will get clogged with stuff.