Barefoot - more questions

Ceriann

Visit site
Mare in rehab due to medial branch suspensory (left hind) injury and low grade psd in left fore. No primary (v full investigation - full body scan, numerous x rays) with feet considered a contributory factor. Plan was to take bfoot post 12 week rehab - vet and farrier have now agreed we can do this post 6 week scan this week (farrier due following week). Im pretty well prepd now - only thing is i havent measured for boots so will have to wait until farrier comes and shoes are off for that. Im going to keep a record of how we get on - pics, videos and notes. Any tips? Im following rockley blogs so have a pretty good idea what to do. If anyone interested i’ll share - be good to get views, especially as we progress. Ive got two companions bfoot so not entirely alien but they dpntvhdbe to function as ridden horses. Funnily one has amazing rock crunching plates for feet!

pistolpete

Visit site
Very best of luck. Mine went to Rockley and his navicular never bothered him again. I am still barefoot with two now. Cautious of too much grass. Use progressive earth hoof supplements and do every other day on hard surfaces or use boots. It can be done!

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Tips for videos? I just get someone to walk my horse in a straight line on an even, flat surface and then I use my phone to video it, side on, as low down as possible. I then slo mo/freeze frame when the front feet are hitting the ground, to check how they're landing (hopefully, heel first).

Ceriann

Visit site
Not sure if said before, but it's not a bad idea to treat regularly for thrush even if the frogs seem ok. Even with nothing obvious treating once or twice a week led to big improvements on mine.
Thanks - will do this as a precaution.

Ceriann

Visit site
Very best of luck. Mine went to Rockley and his navicular never bothered him again. I am still barefoot with two now. Cautious of too much grass. Use progressive earth hoof supplements and do every other day on hard surfaces or use boots. It can be done!
She’s on pro hoof now and provided she will be allowed t/o, this will be limited for now whilst we continue to rehab the suspensory injury, so grass will be limited. If she’s allowed decent t/o I will keep in during the day, out at night. Fingers crossed we have a similarly successful outcome.

Ceriann

Visit site
Tips for videos? I just get someone to walk my horse in a straight line on an even, flat surface and then I use my phone to video it, side on, as low down as possible. I then slo mo/freeze frame when the front feet are hitting the ground, to check how they're landing (hopefully, heel first).
Worked out my yard is perfect for this - raised concrete length of stables, so all ready for the off. Everything crossed for good news at our 6 week scan tomorrow.

Ceriann

Visit site
We got good news from the scan - medial branch looks better so healing. So more of the same with green light to put her out in a small t/o paddock (which was a huge relief). My vet pretty clearvthe 12 week rehzn proposed by referral vet is optimistic - he was v happy that im looking at a 6 month rehab plan (especially given feet). Im happy - work to do but going the right way.