Barefoot Navicular TB 8 months in......

abailey

Visit site
Please all the usual barefoot experts comment....I'm not sensitive ;)

Millie has been barefoot for 8 months after a barefoot diagnosis in Sept 2012 (x ray, no MRI). She went to Rockley for a couple of months then continued at home. I have installed a pasture paradise type track, she is on a barefoot diet (Simple Systems....I have cut out the Alfalfa in the past but no difference), she has NO grass and is visited by an aanhcp trimmer every 6 weeks. Her confirmation is shocking......

It was a bit slow at first but for the past 2-3 months she has been great on all surfaces and we had started to do a (very) little jumping.

This week I have noticed she does a few uneven strides on a circle in the sand school, it seems to be where the surface is really hard and compact (sounds a bit like tarmac with her foot falls). Feeling a little despondent.....is it the surface, is it a couple of jumps.......a combination of both? Am I being over ambitious......?

All comments good/bad welcome :) x

TwoStroke

Visit site
Are you sure there's no grass on the track? It can shoot up and be devoured before you even notice it's there, sometimes. If you're sure there's no grass...

Are the strides definitely unlevel, or could it just be her adjusting to a different surface? It can be tough when the horse is striding out on an easy surface, but then unexpectedly steps on a tougher bit. How is she on stones?

Are you able to get the arena surface harrowed?

abailey

Visit site
Thanks for your reply....good points :). There's possibly a small amount of grass but most of its compacted earth as we live in Devon, so rains pretty much all the time and gets nice and churned up regularly :). You might have a point with the change or surface rather than her being uneven, it could be that she just looks 'different' over the flatter, firmer surface...I'll grade it and see what happens.

Thanks everso :) x

abailey

Visit site
...she happily walks over stoney tracks, the only time she feels a stone is if she stands on one on the road.